home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #51
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I like the DDP because we do a sit down for dinner every night. Since the kids are older everyone does their own thing during the day, and we all meet for dinner then stay together after that. However, since the price increase to include alcohol with dinner it has become really expensive. At this point I think it is more eco comical to use AP/DVC, but my kids, DH, and DGM really enjoy the dining plan, so it looks like I am getting it again...
Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #52
Happy Pixie
Studio

I have always wanted to do DPP but it was never fiscally smart for our family. With my spouse and I looking at a short visit, I am considering it. This thread has been rather helpful.
Happy Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #53
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Doesn’t make sense for us. We generally don’t do character meals or buffets and my tweens and teens are more likely to order off the kids menu and/or split an entree.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #54
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

No. No winning against the Mouse.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI / Oct 30- Nov 2 BWV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam, Nov 2, 2020 RCCL Mariner OTS & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:22 AM   #55
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
No. No winning against the Mouse.

You can beat the mouse with the DDDP.....Under the right circumstances.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #56
grayandry
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
You can beat the mouse with the DDDP.....Under the right circumstances.
Every time I think about trying it on a short trip, I feel like Id just be spaving = spending to save.
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #57
carolina_yankee
Administrator

touringplans.com has a dining plan calculator, but I think you have to have a subscription (around $10 a year?) and a trip set up to get access to it on your dashboard.

I thought long and hard about using the Dining Plan on our May trip. I researched. I scoured menus. I used the calculator. I considered multiple scenarios. I measured the Dining Plan against TiW against existing discounts for DVC and AP. There was one scenario in which the dining plan came out head. There were a couple of scenarios in which I would have essentially broke even. In a couple of scenarios I would lose money.

At the end of the day, we opted for flexibility (relied on existing discounts) and I'm glad we did. We also had the good fortune of dining with a couple who had TiW for a couple of meals so that worked out perfectly. We also did the RoL Tiffins package and came out ahead because the entree was the cost of the package so we got the appetizer, dessert and beverage for free.

I love the tech of the plan. I can't justify it financially.

I still come down to recommending gift cards for those who want to pre-pay. I can nearly guarantee you that if you put the cost of the DDP on the gift card and eat naturally, you will come out ahead.

Obviously, some scenarios are different. You have to run the numbers and see what you would eat and what you would drink.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #58
krisephillips
One Bedroom

still have not found a way to use this and come out ahead or break even as we do not each get 2 snacks a day and don't all buy the reusable fountain cups. We also do not always to TS meals everyday. It is cheaper to by BJs gift cards with Discover cash back and get AP discount then get DDP.

DDP also is charged for your last day of trip which for us is spent at the airport most times (usually fly out at 11AM so ME pick up 3 hours ahead), so you are paying for a dining plan for a day you will not use it.

Look forward to a day when you can use your refillable mug at the parks. I live near Cedar Point and they have a refillable mug program that is good all season for $30! Of course, Cedar Point is only open 5 months out of the year though.

Disney Castaway Club Member-Silver Level.
krisephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #59
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayandry View Post
Every time I think about trying it on a short trip, I feel like I’d just be spaving = spending to save.
Same! I thought about it for a millisecond for a trip my son and I will be doing in the spring. Not getting groceries and thought for half a second we could do it. But then... yeah. No. Maybe the QSDP? Probably not as my 11yo still eats off the kids meals most of the time.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #60
Happy Pixie
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisephillips View Post
still have not found a way to use this and come out ahead or break even as we do not each get 2 snacks a day and don't all buy the reusable fountain cups. We also do not always to TS meals everyday. It is cheaper to by BJs gift cards with Discover cash back and get AP discount then get DDP.

DDP also is charged for your last day of trip which for us is spent at the airport most times (usually fly out at 11AM so ME pick up 3 hours ahead), so you are paying for a dining plan for a day you will not use it.

Look forward to a day when you can use your refillable mug at the parks. I live near Cedar Point and they have a refillable mug program that is good all season for $30! Of course, Cedar Point is only open 5 months out of the year though.
So if you had a 2 night stay, Disney will charge for the day of checkout as well? That would be 3 days of DDP.
Happy Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote