home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #51
Crafty
Grand Villa

We are terrible at planning. We buy APs for that reason.

We will frequently squeeze in a last minute trip or extend a trip by a day or two. Sometimes we will cancel and reschedule for a different resort. We do different things at different resorts and therefore have different ticket needs. For example, at OKW we do less park days and more DS.

Some years we get a LOT of use from the APs, other years we get less use.

It just makes sense for us to simply renew the APs. Then we can do whatever we want.

The gold blackout dates are a problem for us. We always go in early Dec, so the holiday blackouts are not a problem. It is the Spring dates that cause us problems. They move around. I am never sure exactly when they are and how they will impact a potential reservation. It seems that sometimes the dates are not even announced until after the eleven month window opens.

We have pretty much given up on WDW for March and April. I would not be pleased to be at DVC during blackout dates. We have gone in May for the last couple of years. And we try for Halloween. We did Valentines Day last year and will try that again.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #52
Leftcoaster
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
We are terrible at planning. We buy APs for that reason.

We will frequently squeeze in a last minute trip or extend a trip by a day or two. Sometimes we will cancel and reschedule for a different resort. We do different things at different resorts and therefore have different ticket needs. For example, at OKW we do less park days and more DS.

Some years we get a LOT of use from the APs, other years we get less use.

It just makes sense for us to simply renew the APs. Then we can do whatever we want.

The gold blackout dates are a problem for us. We always go in early Dec, so the holiday blackouts are not a problem. It is the Spring dates that cause us problems. They move around. I am never sure exactly when they are and how they will impact a potential reservation. It seems that sometimes the dates are not even announced until after the eleven month window opens.

We have pretty much given up on WDW for March and April. I would not be pleased to be at DVC during blackout dates. We have gone in May for the last couple of years. And we try for Halloween. We did Valentines Day last year and will try that again.
someone can correct me if I am wrong but, as far as I have seen, the spring blackout dates have always been the week before and the week after Easter.

"Being a princess means so much more than wearing a tiara and a pretty dress" - Cinderellabration
Leftcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #53
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

Using a periodic AP in connection with banking and borrowing is key strategy to how we keep our Disney costs down, while still scratching the family itch.

For example, I grabbed some of those "buy 12, get 13 months" DVC gold APs a couple of years ago. And I used those, plus banking and a dash of borrowing, to fit in two spring breaks, one thanksgiving, and two RunDisney weekends into a single AP purchase.

At the end, we paid and average of less than $20 per day / per person in ticket costs to be in the parks. Fantastic year . . . and I'm very much ready to not have an AP for awhile.
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #54
zulaya
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
someone can correct me if I am wrong but, as far as I have seen, the spring blackout dates have always been the week before and the week after Easter.
Nope. This is correct and why the spring blackout dates move around.
Avoid Easter and you don't have to worry about the blackout dates.

DVC Member since 2002. Homes at BCV and AKV
30+ trips!

Next trip DH and I: Dec 2019
Next trip the whole fam: May 2020
zulaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #55
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftcoaster View Post
That could be. I am not sure. It is certainly possible that it is Easter that moves and takes the blackout dates with it.

All I know is that the Spring blackout dates are always different year to year.

Christmas, Halloween, and Valentines Day, for example, are always consistent. That makes planning simpler. Planning blackout dates around a holiday that moves is bound to generate confusion. IMHO.

I did say that we were terrible at planning. Don’t get me started on fast passes and ADRs.

Last edited by Crafty; 03-24-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #56
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

APs are not just about the money.

While I agree it is easy to justify APs on math (more than 10 days on a trip or 2+ trips per 365 days), that's not the reason we converted. (Someone did suggest this thread was preaching to the choir.) Mostly, we moved over to APs to make our trips easier. I drove my family nuts trying to maximize our time. Picture me as the drill sergeant, getting everyone up at 5, breakfast at 5:15, out the door at 5:20 and that's about what our first visit was like in retrospect. Once we opted for annual passes, there was less need to plan and march every minute of the vacation day.

Now we can chill, sleep in and only spend a couple hours in a park on an AP. And occasionally, I will even do non-park days on APs. The annual pass approach makes Disney vacations more enjoyable to me.

Now we take this AP approach to other parks and activities. My question is usually why wouldn't we get an annual pass rather than the reverse.

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #57
Jawfish
One Bedroom

AP makes sense as we go 2-3 weeks each year. But one of the main things I love about the passes, you never feel like you wasted your ticket. If you want to go for 5 hours and then go swimming, no big deal. Since we are paying so little “per day” across 14-21 days, you don’t sweat it.

Now the biggest reason we love annual passes? We go extra days on a trip. If we fly in Saturday morning, we can go to a park that day for a few hours. And then when we leave the following Saturday on a late flight, again, we can do a park in the AM if we want. When we bought tickets, we would never spend the money for a partial day like that.

So in reality, if we go 2 weeks a year, we often use the passes 16 days. If we go 3 weeks a year, that is 24 days use. Also, if something cool comes along, like the time we scored sneak preview tickets to Pandora, no worries, jump on a plane and flash your AP at the gate.

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May - Pandora Preview)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)