home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
leo122160
Studio

Late April seemed pretty good crowd to me. Pools, Boardwalk , Big River ESPN - all seemed to have nice crowds. I never experienced ghost town at BWV in over 20-30 times there.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #12
Boundin'
Grand Villa

and if you're bad, you must sit in the Nanny Chair

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
Jay324
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMcButterPants View Post
We were at the BWV June 30th - July 6th basically hung out at the pool each day, parks at night. Every day till July 4th CMs came around checking IDs.
We would get drinks every afternoon at the bar and only pay cash, drinks and tip.
Also DH never wears his MB.
So your the person I said hello to twice in the hallway. Wish we could have had a drink together. Anyway I didn't notice any CM's by the pool checking bands or ID for many like your husband didn't have bands. Yes they could have been guests like your husband but it seemed like the same old story at the pool of BWV which give non guests a nice way to beat the heat from the parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
I was at BWV same week last year. One CM told me that occupancy rates on the DVC side were typically >98% but the Hotel side would be in the 80ís. BW is a conference hotel and there is probably not a worse week on the calendar to hold a conference. When MLB held their winter meeting there many years ago you could not even get near The resort
Really doesn't matter to DVC if it is empty or not on the DVC side, they get paid the same regardless of the occupancy rate. But I find it hard to believe that occupancy is close to 80 percent. At BLT, the DVC side was most at full occupancy but over at the Contemporary side (especially the lake side rooms) didn't see many rooms occupied at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
You lucked out. I was at BWV last year in Nov and it was packed. There were no parking spots . The front desk always had long lines . The buses were usually standing room only .

The pools were the only places that were not full.

I would have expected the Fourth of July to have been crowded .
Yes I thought it was great to have my choice of spots and when I needed something from the front desk it (my wife's magic band didn't work in the room on day 2) it was walk right up and how can I help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachclubmum View Post
So you're saying the non-handicapped parking spaces closest to the service road entrance were always empty? That does sound eerie!
Very strange. Maybe they were cracking down on the visitors to the boardwalk but there were plenty of spots near the service road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
We almost never see many or any guests in the room sections of the resorts.

But maybe everyone had checked in and headed to Universal.
That could be it. Online check in as well. And there were a lot by the pool but for the lounge, gym and lobby area to be empty most of the trip was odd. As for Universal, I hear they have a good deal going on this Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
Intrigued by the prospect of empty BWV. It sounds more and more like the Shining... (long confusing hallways, empty corridors, elevators waiting to engulf you, OOOH!)
I stayed in the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park Colorado. Wonderful hotel but I didn't stay in room 217.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
And instead of Jack Nicholson with and ax, you get Pennywise in the pool!
And at the Stanley Hotel they have the Shining running on TV in a loop. Watched it around 11;30 at night with my wife when the kids went to sleep. Fun watch at the Stanley.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #14
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
I saw some kid on a big wheel going up and down the halls. He kept saying RAW RATS, RAW RATS.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay324 View Post
I stayed in the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park Colorado. Wonderful hotel but I didn't stay in room 217.

And at the Stanley Hotel they have the Shining running on TV in a loop. Watched it around 11;30 at night with my wife when the kids went to sleep. Fun watch at the Stanley.
I would probably have requested room 217. But I like being scared. Iíll bet that was a fun watch, though!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #16
Jay324
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo122160 View Post
Late April seemed pretty good crowd to me. Pools, Boardwalk , Big River ESPN - all seemed to have nice crowds. I never experienced ghost town at BWV in over 20-30 times there.
Yes the Pool, Boardwalk area, ESPN, street performers all had a decent crowd. As for the resort itself, just seemed empty with no one at the front desk, bell services, resort bar, shops in BWV or on the balconies. When you walk down the hallway don't see anyone, go out to the boardwalk, forgot your sunblock and walk back to the room and back to the boardwalk and still don't see anyone it makes you wonder. Elevators were always a pain at BWV with guests waiting forever. Not during this trip.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #17
Jay324
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I would probably have requested room 217. But I like being scared. Iíll bet that was a fun watch, though!
Yes great to watch the Shining at the Stanley. Room 217 is a very popular request but we didn't get such room request. Estes Park is at the base of Colorado National Park. It really is a great place to visit.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:55 PM   #18
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

We own BwV and stay a lot. It was busy last time we were there. In fact I had never seen the grassy lawn area so jam packed with people all day long. And the pools are always busy as is the lobby. Parking is always tough. It's just the hallways seem a ghost town. But with one set of elevators and such long endless hallways, it is easy to be walking around with nobody else in sight. We will be there in like 9 weeks so I will pay more attention to see if the resort is dead.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Aug 27-31 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-11, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
stellabutterman
One Bedroom

Quote:
Yes the Pool, Boardwalk area, ESPN, street performers all had a decent crowd. As for the resort itself, just seemed empty with no one at the front desk, bell services, resort bar, shops in BWV or on the balconies. When you walk down the hallway don't see anyone, go out to the boardwalk, forgot your sunblock and walk back to the room and back to the boardwalk and still don't see anyone it makes you wonder. Elevators were always a pain at BWV with guests waiting forever. Not during this trip.
We were there July 3rd-6th, and it was quiet in the lobby at the elevators. When we moved to AKV on Saturday we were overwhelmed by the crowd in the lobby there compared to BWV. We were at the BW pool the 4th and 5th, and we did get pool bands. Also when did BW get pool noodles? The pool at Jambo had none.

The 4th was frustrating at the pool because the pool didn't open until 10:30 because of a burst pipe? We spent the first hour or so at the quiet pool until it opened.
stellabutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:12 PM   #20
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Yes great to watch the Shining at the Stanley. Room 217 is a very popular request but we didn't get such room request. Estes Park is at the base of Colorado National Park. It really is a great place to visit.
I agree Estes Park is a beautiful area.
I had no idea that was a real hotel! I have been wanting to go back to Denver/Estes Park, Iíll have to look into staying there. Such a creepy movie, not sure I could make it through it actually watching *in* the Stanley. It would be fun to try though. Definitely an interesting story to tell!

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote