home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #31
John2247
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post

Actually, I think they missed the boat here from a business standpoint - With the reviews that I've heard from some reporters who got early viewings, I think they could have made a fifth gate with only what they added at HS, and charged full ticket price for it. Everyone would have complained, but they would have paid. And then they could have added more in future years, snowballing that revenue stream.

I think that it would have enough interest to become a fifth park. As for myself I have "no desire" to ride the type of rides that the new Star Wars Land will have, but a lot of people will want to experience them.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #32
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I guess it depends on how you look at EMH. Is it just an hour extender or is it a perk/benefit for staying onsite? I think it's a little bit of both but mostly a perk for staying onsite which means it still happens. If they can manage to get a market for paying guests for an evening at DHS then it also should have a perk for onsite still. Of course, IMO. And AK - it kills me how they bring it in. Stop it. Start it. Stop it etc. It too should have at least 1 a week as a benefit of onsite stays. I guess they are having no issues with booking up the hotels which in part is fed by converting so much to DVC which they have a locked audience and don't need to worry about the booking incentives anymore.
I guess I've never been sold on the value of EMH. Everything I read says that the parks are still crowded with everybody confined to the few attractions that are open, and the park is more crowded the rest of the day as people either stay for the day or come early for the evening.

I would love to learn that's not the case, especially for evening EMH, but if it isn't, I can't see the value of going to the park after hours to still wait for 20 minutes for HM or 40 minutes for Soarin'.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #33
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, hours have changed periodically but attendance has increased, hours decreased, hotel rooms increased and ticket prices increased. That's just squeezing the guests. Attendance in the 80's was WAY below what it is now yet the hours were longer?
Well, gee, if you're going to go back to the '80s, that's not fair! The company still had a creative, adventurous soul and the courage to act on it!!! Now, they just buy other people's ideas and destroy the mission of their parks with them (*cough* Guardians of the Galaxy *cough*).

Dirk

Old 03-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #34
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I guess I've never been sold on the value of EMH. Everything I read says that the parks are still crowded with everybody confined to the few attractions that are open, and the park is more crowded the rest of the day as people either stay for the day or come early for the evening.

I would love to learn that's not the case, especially for evening EMH, but if it isn't, I can't see the value of going to the park after hours to still wait for 20 minutes for HM or 40 minutes for Soarin'.

Dirk
Since Disney allows people into the ride lines up until the actual park closing they do still have any day guests that wants to stay but after the first hour it would clear out. That's what made the 3 hour EMH so awesome - by hour 3 the difference was very noticeable. We are night owls in our family and west coast so had no issues with late hours and made good use of them over the years. Morning EMH? The 1 or 2 we've made it too were more crowded although it's not like midday of course. When evening EMH dropped to 2 hours it left you an hour of lower wait times but I think that's quite similar to morning EMH isn't it? THE most popular rides do get targeted though. I always felt the complaints about evening EMH were from people who thought that right at park closing everyone else would be gone. Anyway - we always benefitted from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Well, gee, if you're going to go back to the '80s, that's not fair! The company still had a creative, adventurous soul and the courage to act on it!!! Now, they just buy other people's ideas and destroy the mission of their parks with them (*cough* Guardians of the Galaxy *cough*).

Dirk
Hey - I didn't start the back to the 80's comparison! I don't disagree with you though. Comic books, Future World - it's all the same, yes?
Old 03-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #35
Jawfish
One Bedroom

Good points about how many hours it lasts and all, as it makes sense that it takes a long time to clear the park. Since we like to sleep in on vacation I was looking for another way to experience hard to do things such as FoP and Toy Story Land. So figured EMH nights may be a good way to go. We don’t do rope drops very often.

I have also read here on MO that folks have luck getting in line right before park closing. Has that routinely worked?

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May - Pandora Preview)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)
2018 PVB (Sep)
2018 Offsite (Dec)
2019 Offsite (May)
2019 SSR (Aug - SW:GE Preview)
2019 PVB (Sep)
2019 DL Cali Offsite (Oct)
2019 PVB (Dec)
2020 PVB (May)
Jawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #36
Micah008
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawfish View Post
I have also read here on MO that folks have luck getting in line right before park closing. Has that routinely worked?
Yes, that generally works pretty well. The waits will typically be below whatever is posted at park close because there are no more FP+ returners after that time making the standby line go much faster, and because Disney has a tenancy to sometimes inflate the wait times at the end of the night.

We have done FoP right before park closing, and although it still took almost an hour, it was way better than the 2-3 hours the wait had been throughout the day. Plus, with the park now closed, there was no where else we could really be anyway.

Similar with SDD and other rides we have done this way over the years.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #37
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Since Disney allows people into the ride lines up until the actual park closing they do still have any day guests that wants to stay but after the first hour it would clear out. That's what made the 3 hour EMH so awesome - by hour 3 the difference was very noticeable. We are night owls in our family and west coast so had no issues with late hours and made good use of them over the years. Morning EMH? The 1 or 2 we've made it too were more crowded although it's not like midday of course. When evening EMH dropped to 2 hours it left you an hour of lower wait times but I think that's quite similar to morning EMH isn't it? THE most popular rides do get targeted though. I always felt the complaints about evening EMH were from people who thought that right at park closing everyone else would be gone. Anyway - we always benefitted from them.
That's a very good point about the drop from 3 to 2 hours. We would be night owls if we felt we could reliably get everything done we want. Our most successful days tend to be the tried and true rope drop, mid-day break, evening fun.

And, unfortunately, age and my work schedule has me pretty much trained to wake up at 5:30. By the time I flip the body clock for WDW, it's time to go back to real life!

Parks close at 9 pm every night of our May trip. I may gave an evening EMH a try to see what happens.

Dirk