home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
ResalesDVC
TRUSTED BOARD SPONSOR!!

Default How to survive (and enjoy) the holidays at Disney World

I know its only February but if you're like me, you're already planning your holiday trips! Plus, booking windows are open at your home resort

The week before Christmas and New Years is the busiest week of the year at Walt Disney World. The parks will be filled with throngs of people and Magic Kingdom will likely fill to capacity and close to more guests at several points during the week. But if you visit during this week you can still have a fantastic time but you will need to switch up your tactics. Here are ten tricks for actually enjoying yourself during the holidays at Disney World: https://www.resalesdvc.com/how-to-su...-disney-world/

Have any tips or tricks to ad?
Kristen Tutas, Lic. Broker Associate
Rachel Thompson, Lic. Broker Associate
Meet Our Entire Team

ResalesDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I mostly agree on the tips, however I think the fast pass strategy is off.

For Christmas/NYE week, I recommend taking advantage of morning EMH....be there at rope drop and save your fastpasses for the evening.

This is what we do every year, including this year. For example, we went to MK on EMH day. We rode Buzz, Space Mountain (2x), Pooh, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder RR, Splash Mountain and Pirates all by 9am.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I mostly agree on the tips, however I think the fast pass strategy is off.

For Christmas/NYE week, I recommend taking advantage of morning EMH....be there at rope drop and save your fastpasses for the evening.

This is what we do every year, including this year. For example, we went to MK on EMH day. We rode Buzz, Space Mountain (2x), Pooh, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder RR, Splash Mountain and Pirates all by 9am.
Huh??? Ive never gotten in more than 3 rides during MK EMH and that includes when we go during off peak times. Space Mtn is always 30+ minutes from the moment we walk over there. Peter Pan is also already long before we even get over there. We usually ride Buzz and Haunted Mansion because theyre the only ones with 20 min or less of wait time. How did you do this?!? Inquiring minds want to know!!!
Old 02-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Good advice. We just did our first NYE trip. MK has EMH on Dec 30 util 2 am so we arrived at the park about 9 pm to catch the fireworks show. We had some FPs and by about midnight the crowds really thinned out. We stayed till 2am [well...some of our group did] and had a blast....very manageable lines if you can be a night owl.

We really adjusted our expectations and didnt plan lots of park time on Dec 30 or 31 or Jan 1.

I did note that on Jan 1 the crowds at Epcot were pretty low till about noon...

We had a great time and I wont hesitate to go back in this time frame. With a kid in college and other one with a busy marching band and theater schedule, we now have to travel in busier times when they can both get away....

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE @ WDWhttp://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Huh??? I’ve never gotten in more than 3 rides during MK EMH and that includes when we go during off peak times. Space Mtn is always 30+ minutes from the moment we walk over there. Peter Pan is also already long before we even get over there. We usually ride Buzz and Haunted Mansion because they’re the only ones with 20 min or less of wait time. How did you do this?!? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Ok....next time you are in WDW and I am there, tag along.

Are there for rope drop and the hub?

Got to MK by 6:40am, enter park and make way to hub. Hit space mtn first, always just a walk on. Then its buzz, because everyone bypasses it. (had planned on seven dwarfs, but the wait was already 60 min) pooh is a 5 min, peter pan was 10-5 min wait. Then had to wait for the rope drop at 8am to access Liberty, so its the second rope drop which means HH is a walk on, then its off to BTMRR which is a 10 min wait, splash mountain was a walk on and pirates is nearly a walk on.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
sawickipedia
One Bedroom

Quote:

Got to MK by 6:40am, enter park and make way to hub. Hit space mtn first, always just a walk on. Then its buzz, because everyone bypasses it. (had planned on seven dwarfs, but the wait was already 60 min) pooh is a 5 min, peter pan was 10-5 min wait. Then had to wait for the rope drop at 8am to access Liberty, so its the second rope drop which means HH is a walk on, then its off to BTMRR which is a 10 min wait, splash mountain was a walk on and pirates is nearly a walk on.
Tom you are clearly a pro's pro! #tipofthehat

As the kids enter high school I think we'll have to transition to T-Day week from October (sadness) so these type of plans become important to remember
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #7
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:

We usually show up exactly when EMH start. Were almost never early for EMH by more than 5 minutes at WDW because we battle the hour time difference. If were ever there at the same time, Im definitely going to take you up on it and follow your lead!

Now when we go to DL, were always early.

And thanks ResalesDVC for this article. Its very helpful. Im sure Ill be sending it to friends and family.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickipedia View Post
Tom you are clearly a pro's pro! #tipofthehat

As the kids enter high school I think we'll have to transition to T-Day week from October (sadness) so these type of plans become important to remember

Perhaps.....I remember when the kids were in high school. That is when we started doing more trips without the kids. The were busy.....school work, boy friend/girl friend, work and other "social" commitments of a 16-18 year old.

Funny thing....We hit all the Holidays, but have never done Thanksgiving at WDW.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
We usually show up exactly when EMH start. Were almost never early for EMH by more than 5 minutes at WDW because we battle the hour time difference. If were ever there at the same time, Im definitely going to take you up on it and follow your lead!

I am always amazed at EMH rope drop how many people veer off and stop at Starbucks. You are wasting time people!!!!
Old 02-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #10
DBridge
Studio

Speaking of holiday, anyone done a water park on 4th of July? Crazy?

I know all the parks will be crazy, but any sense in water park that day?
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote