home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #21
TexasChick
Grand Villa

I haven't stayed at SSR or OKW, but I would guess it is that there's no walking to any of the resorts from those two. AK has the animals to compensate for the lack of walking options. Walking to DS isn't great for most families with young kids because we spend all day in the parks. As I said in another post, I haven't been to DS since I was in grad school. I'm sure we will be back once my kids are a bit older. I like the MK and Epcot/HS resorts because we would prefer to walk to some of the parks or at least be just a stop or two on the monorail away. However, if you are traveling on a budget, and those two resorts are cheaper options, well then they look a lot better. I guess it depends on your traveling style. I would be curious to see the desirability of staying at one of those two resorts once they are completely done with the refurbishments.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #22
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
one other thought: many renters probably have stayed in these resorts (largest, last to fill up) before and want something different.
I was going to say the exact same thing. They have been there done that probably many times and want anything else.

I say they need to buy their own points where they want to stay or stop being so picky.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:37 PM   #23
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks_63 View Post
Wow. A lot for me to think over.

Thanks and keep it coming.

I am thinking of downsizing and this will feed into my consideration as what to keep.

Goldi
I will sell the points that can give you most money out of contract. You know how to work around and use your pts at 7 month.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #24
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
one other thought: many renters probably have stayed in these resorts (largest, last to fill up) before and want something different.

Also perception.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #25
Kreis76
Studio

Default SSR question

We just closed on our contract and wanting to go this summer and SSR is one of only resorts available. Are there particular areas to stay to make the best out of the bus situation because we will be flying. Also which area has the best pool at SSR for a 7 year old?
Kreis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #26
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreis76 View Post
We just closed on our contract and wanting to go this summer and SSR is one of only resorts available. Are there particular areas to stay to make the best out of the bus situation because we will be flying. Also which area has the best pool at SSR for a 7 year old?
As new owners you will find that SSR and OKW are often the only resorts available relatively last minute for members too...

As to your questions the Grandstand section is the first bus stop coming back from the parks and a couple of the buildings are quite close to the Carriage House where you check in. Most people really like the pool in the Paddock section and say it's very kid-friendly. The pool is also where the 3rd bus stop is located. The Springs section is the 5th and last bus stop and is where all the activity is, main pool, Community Hall, Artist's Palette, check in, store/gift shop, etc.

Hope you enjoy your stay. SSR really is a lovely resort.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #27
MelMass
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Ssr / okw

We've rented many times and are one of "those renters" who say anything but OKW or SSR.
OKW just doesn't appeal to us. When we see pictures of it, they don't make us want to stay there. We also like a food court of some sort. It's nice to grab something to eat and go about our way. I know people mention eating at Disney Springs, but apparently we are too lazy to do that. Also, Disney Springs as a whole is not a huge draw for us. We've been a few times but it's not a must do for us. Since park tickets are so expensive, we would rather be in a park than at a strip mall.
Our one and only "experience" with SSR was when we were staying at the French Quarter. We were riding the boat to or from Downtown Disney with people staying at SSR. When we got to the French Quarter boat stop, the SSR people got off with us and mentioned how nice the resort was compared to theirs. We thought it was strange since we were staying at a moderate, but that one experience definitely impacted us. Also, there's not a food court.

We love Animal Kingdom Lodge / Kidani (stayed at both, multiple times) and Wilderness Lodge. We've stayed at Boardwalk and I was unimpressed. I didn't hate it but it didn't excite me. We are staying at the Poly and BLT for the first time in the fall.
So maybe part of it is personal preferences and likes and dislikes. A few years ago it was super easy to get rooms at AKL and I never understood why because it's my favorite. I love everything about it. My husband likes it but Wilderness Lodge has a slight edge for him.
MelMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:01 AM   #28
logan115
Grand Villa

I don't know, maybe folks aren't aware of the effort that is involved in walking/stalking certain reservations. While renting is an improvement price-wise over CRO, if I was plunking down several thousand dollars for a room I'd probably be a little picky too.

I haven't looked at the numbers lately to see how much folks are saving by renting vs CRO, but seeing owners getting $16-20+ a pt (yeah us !!) makes me think it's not as good of a bargain as it was back when you used to be able to find points in the $9-10 range (and also taking into account lower rack rates). Factor in some risk and no refund policies and rightly or wrongly renters are likely to be a bit pickier on their requests.

Chris

MOD 75
logan115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #29
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan115 View Post
I don't know, maybe folks aren't aware of the effort that is involved in walking/stalking certain reservations. While renting is an improvement price-wise over CRO, if I was plunking down several thousand dollars for a room I'd probably be a little picky too.

I haven't looked at the numbers lately to see how much folks are saving by renting vs CRO, but seeing owners getting $16-20+ a pt (yeah us !!) makes me think it's not as good of a bargain as it was back when you used to be able to find points in the $9-10 range (and also taking into account lower rack rates). Factor in some risk and no refund policies and rightly or wrongly renters are likely to be a bit pickier on their requests.

Chris
those picky renters need to buy where they want to stay.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #30
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreis76 View Post
Avoid Carousel at all costs, it is near nothing and has no pool, outside of that area all are great as SSR in my opinion. when I bring my mother (who is 85) I opt to stay in the preferred section, without her, we like Paddock Pool.