home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Bibbity Bobbity Buying
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #161
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Hey everyone - time for another update! This is one long, rambling post as I'm giving an update, responding to thread comments & planning a trip to our FL place next week.

After some delays, we closed on the Arkansas house. That mortgage is paid, hooray! We also paid off the two vehicles with loans, so now the monthly budget allows for the FL place without renting it. Maybe we will want to rent it post-corona (whenever that might be) but for now that's not even on the radar.

I head out for a 10 day visit next week. I'm really looking forward to time in our Florida place!!! And yes, I plan to post updates & pics while there.

Yes, we were in Savannah for several years. We moved to Oklahoma a couple of years ago. Way before Savannah we lived in Arkansas & wound up hanging onto that Arkansas house for a dozen years as a rental. Along the way, I have also lived in 10+ states since college. So the Regal Palms townhouse is a major deal for me for stability. Having a place we will keep through the years means a lot to me.

Yes, Regal Palms allows for full time residents. Owners can live there or do short term rentals, but are not allowed to do long term (more than 90 day) rentals. Bahama Bay had the 6 month residency restriction. Each of the different communities seem to have their own niche rules, so the HOA/POA regs are required reading to my way of thinking for anyone looking at a vacation home.

Samantha keeps wavering between dragon and lego themes for her FL bedroom. Of course, she has also informed me that she will be living there for college & after. We will be welcome to visit but she plans to take over. LOL!!! Good luck with that, DD, good luck with that.

I thought Samantha and Craig would have been there a few weeks by now. But he got behind on some projects, so I may actually get there before they do on this trip. On the other hand, they are taking enough with them to stay up to 6 months just in case corona gets bad & new restrictions are put in place. I'm guessing they'll spend about 2 months, but anything is possible. His mom lives with us, so a break is good every once in a while for all of us.

I keep watching the covid numbers in FL and TX and thinking about ditching my flight from Dallas to Orlando in favor of driving. It was a super cheap flight, so money isn't really a motivating factor. Instead, it's trying to figure out which mode of transportation really is less risky.

Also, given all the changes in past few months, I realized we have some furniture here in storage that would be better used in FL. So DH is building a shell on the back of his truck to load up a Murphy bed, large dining table and the used triple bunk bed I picked up here a couple weekends ago. Plus they will take the puppies, some more clothes, toys, miscellaneous what-not and a partridge in a pear tree.

Oh, and I think we agreed on new flooring for the downstairs after getting a few options to lay out here at home & living with it for a few weeks. So unless the zombie apocalypse happens - and given 2020 so far, who knows? - I hope to have some before & after pictures of the work we are doing to the place relatively soon. Here's hoping anyway.

I had some thoughts on staying the first night in Jambo because the values were easily available. In fact, I booked one for the night of the 8th. But then I decided to cancel it because I'd rather be at our place. Then I had 3rd thoughts & modified the date so I could make two days of park reservations for week after next since all the AP ones went so fast. So I snagged those. I have no idea if I will actually get brave & go in the parks or not....but I want to have the option. Also, Samantha and I will have a blast going over to watch the animals from the studio for that one night stay. Craig might enjoy staying there that night as a break from our puppies, as they will be coming along on this trip as well. And if we don't go over at all, well, it's only 12 DVC points. Not that I want to throw them away or anything, but worth it to me just to preserve options.

And of course if we ever do a princess room, that would be Brian's! A Star Wars room is more likely, but ya never know.

I didn't wind up getting APs to the H2O water park at Margaritteville. We have APs for SeaWorld, so I decided to check out that water park before we add another one. Our Legoland passes expired, but I keep thinking about renewing those because I really do like that park. Maybe....

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the possibility of a book on the home search/purchase/life after process! I'm still thinking about it. If I get smart (rather than brave) while in FL, that might be the project I work on there just to see if there's enough to the concept to put a book together on it. Or maybe a new youTube channel or something like that. I think there is a project in it, just have been so busy I haven't really done more than think a little about it.

One of my FL friends has been going by a couple of times a week to check on our place. Ironically, after deciding we didn't want to rent it during coronavirus, one of the neighbors approached my friend about if we would rent it to friends/family looking for a place for a couple of months. That's a no, but good to hear there are rental opportunities even in current environment.

We cannot settle on a name for the place. If we ever decide to rent it, I think it needs a name. I still really like Rouge's Retreate - and I liked it enough to pay for the internet domain name https://rougesretreat.com/ - but Craig does not like it at all. He thinks marketing to rouges is an invitation for people to trash the place. Any opinions on this?

Last random thought - I'm also setting up our camper before I leave so I can self-quarantine in it in the back yard for 2 weeks when I get back. I'm okay with the current travel risks, but I am not willing to risk exposing my mother in law. One of these days I'll get around to doing an update on our camping adventures as well, but first we have to get the camper out of the backyard.

LOL - take care & stay safe everyone. I am so looking forward to getting "home" for a visit next week.

Amy's MouseOwner Trip Report List

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #162
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Ooh, I get a room! Ha, appreciate the thought regardless.

As for the name, I’d say a rouge would be way less likely to trash a place than a rogue...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #163
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Ooh, I get a room! Ha, appreciate the thought regardless.

As for the name, Id say a rouge would be way less likely to trash a place than a rogue...

Ah, well.

I'm not liking the COVID numbers or direction for Texas at all. I am starting to lean heavily towards driving this trip. 32 hours in the car isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

And yes, same applies for Florida; numbers also going wildly in the wrong direction there. But even if all we do is stay in townhouse & have supplies delivered, it will be a welcome break.

Amy's Author Page - A Year of Disney, Camping Disney & Building Awesome Vacations

Amy's Blog
Old 08-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #164
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

I did a streamlined blog post about this - - anyone just looking for the highlights (or a review for a grin) might be interesting in this: Our Disney Vacation Place.

Note I shamelessly recommend my realtor & broker at the end of the blog post. Keisha as a personal friend made this whole search possible & Jodi was fantastic as a broker who never dropped a detail and always responded within minutes.

Looking back, I am so grateful we went ahead with this. DH and DD continue to enjoy an extended vacation at our Disney place for more than a month now. In just a few weeks, I'll rejoin them for another trip to our happy place. In a year full of upheaval, pandemic, quarantine & unrest, this has been a really bright and positive spot in our lives.

Amy's Blog