home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

View Poll Results: New TV Shows: 1 Episode/wk or All at Once?
One Episode per week 11 50.00%
All at Once 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 10-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
I like to watch without commercials and used to enjoy waiting for next episode next week thing, especially when they gave us a little sneak peek of what to expect next week.
Then I got tired of the ridiculous soap opera drag out and usually dragged out to beyond evidence of a story line.
Rarely watch TV but plan to try Disney+ for history of Disney .

Actually trying to shop for a new TV to enjoy Disney+
Got recommendations ? Probably just a 52 inch tho.
Is Costco the most honest place to make this type of purchase?

Sorry back on topic.
I don't know about *honest* as they really don't have sales reps to pressure you one way or the other. Their descriptions are accurate, and their prices are usually very good for the particular models.

We got ours from Costco about 10 years ago. It's one of the last Plasmas and only 720p but we love it. We'll probably let it go and upgrade when 4k is more common (better priced) and we have to move again. Costco is where I'd go look.

They also have a very good return policy. I don't remember what it is for TVs right now, but it has always been extremely generous. Of course, you have to grab the box and get it home yourself. Weight-wise, not necessarily an issue these days, but size depends on your car!! Of course, we are probably the last people who own a sedan instead of an SUV, so you're probably OK there, too.

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Neither, but something in the middle. We watched Star Trek:TNG and are now watching Star Trek; DS9. I'd seen all of it, of course. mrs. brp had not. We usually do two episodes in a sitting (sometimes 1 if we get a late start). And maybe a couple of days a week, interspersing with Netflix movies or actual life.

So I didn't vote since the poll choices are inadequate and limiting.

Cheers.
We're really enjoying Discovery this season, and with Picard coming up next year, we're likely to to do a slow burn of TNG. I missed the last 2-3 seasons and Jim never really watched it. It seems to have worn very well, though. I also want to get through the entire original series in sequence. We started last year but got sidetracked. May move back into that once we finish Discovery and before TNG.

At any rate, I'm neither a happy binger nor a weekly dribbler. I like to have the option to watch a few episodes without long waits, but rarely do more than 4-5 a week, depending on the week.
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #13
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa
 
kiapgh23e's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I don't have a firm opinion at this point. Binging for us is 1-2 episodes a night. I enjoy a good binge (like a nice bag of potato chips), but I hate the empty feeling when it's all done and there's nothing left.

We generally now let a series build up a head of steam before we start watching, which allows us to see an episode or a few over a series of nights are sprinkled throughout the week. So, ultimately, I prefer options. I'm not a fan of being left hanging for holiday season, low-TV watch January season, sweeps months and then a sprinkling here or there during Spring Break season until finally you get 3-4 weeks in a row before the season ends.

Sweeps used to mean there were no specials - they would focus on quality episodes of the series. Now, they pull their series in favor of ratings-buster specials which we generally have zero interest in. So, we live primarily in Netflix/Prime/Hulu land.

Dirk
This is what I like too. We build up 4 or 5, then watch 2 a night. We are in bed by 10p so that's the usual amount of shows we can watch/night.
__________________
Chris

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #14
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 16,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
We're really enjoying Discovery this season, and with Picard coming up next year, we're likely to to do a slow burn of TNG. I missed the last 2-3 seasons and Jim never really watched it. It seems to have worn very well, though. I also want to get through the entire original series in sequence. We started last year but got sidetracked. May move back into that once we finish Discovery and before TNG.

At any rate, I'm neither a happy binger nor a weekly dribbler. I like to have the option to watch a few episodes without long waits, but rarely do more than 4-5 a week, depending on the week.
We started by watching TOS. We'd both seen it way back when. I've seen some Discovery episodes on a transatlantic flight. Very dark. Much darker than any other Star Trek. But compelling.

BTW, what do you mean by the bolded part?

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We started by watching TOS. We'd both seen it way back when. I've seen some Discovery episodes on a transatlantic flight. Very dark. Much darker than any other Star Trek. But compelling.

BTW, what do you mean by the bolded part?

Cheers.
Meaning we want to watch TNG as a refreshed for the CBS All Access series "Picard." It will be exclusively on their app, like Star Trek: Discovery (their highest rated series, I believe).

https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-picard/

It picks up his story 20 years later.

With two series coming, that's why I posted in your Star Wars vs. Star Trek thread that ST is as popular and fresh as ever.

Season 2 of Discovery was great, IMO, setting up very nicely how it fits in the Star Trek story line and also giving us Captain Pike and Enterprise NCC-1701 (no alpha). And much better versions of the pajama uniforms Kirk and crew wore!

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
John_B_Hall
Studio
 
John_B_Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 131
Default

I do binge watch series, but the only draw back is how long it takes before the next season is out. At least if it's weekly, you can remember what's happening between seasons. So shows will go well over a year before the next season comes out.
John_B_Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #17
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 16,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Meaning we want to watch TNG as a refreshed for the CBS All Access series "Picard." It will be exclusively on their app, like Star Trek: Discovery (their highest rated series, I believe).

https://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-picard/
I had not heard of this. Do we think that this is something that (eventually, down the road) would come to streaming on a Netflix-like channel, or really stay on this CBS thing forever (I don't know what it is or what their app is, by the way )?

Or maybe even on disks?

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #18
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I had not heard of this. Do we think that this is something that (eventually, down the road) would come to streaming on a Netflix-like channel, or really stay on this CBS thing forever (I don't know what it is or what their app is, by the way )?

Or maybe even on disks?

Cheers.
I'm not sure either will end up on Netflix or Amazon anytime soon for free streaming. Discovery is CBS All Access's highest rated show and they want subscribers. It's a cheap subscribe if you want to do it for a month and binge it. You can probably buy the seasons from Amazon or iTunes but subscribing to CBS for a month and canceling is cheaper.

Picard is expected to do as well, but its looks very dark in the previews. I'll be curious.

You can now subscribe to it from inside Prime, if you use Prime. I think it's $5.99 for limited ads and $7.99 for zero ads.

Season 1 of Discovery looks at the Federation/Klingon war, with some very interesting twists. The series is shaping up to be an anthology series with each season a full story unto itself and some cast shifting between seasons.

Season 2 brings in the Enterprise under Pike and gets into Spock's back story (and ties it up nicely so you understand why it was never discussed later in the timeline).

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #19
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 16,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I'm not sure either will end up on Netflix or Amazon anytime soon for free streaming. Discovery is CBS All Access's highest rated show and they want subscribers. It's a cheap subscribe if you want to do it for a month and binge it. You can probably buy the seasons from Amazon or iTunes but subscribing to CBS for a month and canceling is cheaper.

Picard is expected to do as well, but its looks very dark in the previews. I'll be curious.

You can now subscribe to it from inside Prime, if you use Prime. I think it's $5.99 for limited ads and $7.99 for zero ads.

Season 1 of Discovery looks at the Federation/Klingon war, with some very interesting twists. The series is shaping up to be an anthology series with each season a full story unto itself and some cast shifting between seasons.

Season 2 brings in the Enterprise under Pike and gets into Spock's back story (and ties it up nicely so you understand why it was never discussed later in the timeline).

Dirk
We're several years from watching this, so no hurry. I've seen every episode of all past series; mrs. brp has not. We're in season 2 of DS9, so 5 more to go. Then all of Voyager and Enterprise. Even at a couple or so a week, this will take a while.

I have seen the first y6 episodes of Discovery on a long plane trip (OK, yes, binge, although I think it was including both ways ). So getting into the Klingon war and the yet-again-redesigned Klingon look. I thought Worf and his ilk looked ominous compared to the TOS Klingons. But these guys are the next level.

The "Picard" concept is interesting since we know from TNG what hos future looks like where he develops irumodic syndrome and is basically almost senile. Or so we think...

Cheers.


Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software