home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #81
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
Our kids are a bit beyond that age now (10, 13 and 14), but when they were little it was pretty much PBS Kids, Disney and Disney Jr. If this ends up including all of the content they would run on those channels, I could definitely see some parents running those apps alone for younger kids.
No Grandkids yet, but I can definitely see locking them out of other apps and only allowing the Disney app.
My kids werenít tied to devices when they were in strollers but this 5 and under set today is definitely high speed connected.
They had GBA, when older.

This could be huge for Disney, to hook them on exclusive content when they are young and then have streaming content for every age group.
May be time for more stock.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #82
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

we were charged in the 150s , will have to double ck total.

so , we are finally considering cutting the cord with cable, ,but this is new territory for us. If anyone uses Roku, what is that like???
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #83
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
we were charged in the 150s , will have to double ck total.

so , we are finally considering cutting the cord with cable, ,but this is new territory for us. If anyone uses Roku, what is that like???
Roku, like Firestick, Apple TV and others, is simply the 'portal' for your streaming service(s). There are a few different versions with different features (Do you want to hardwire? Do you want volume control on the remote? Do you want portability? Etc...), but they all do the same thing. You select the app for your streaming service and then operate accordingly.

There is no ongoing cost for Roku. You pay for the device and then the cost is for the streaming services. In our house, Roku is generally used to access Netflix, YouTubeTV, Hulu, HBO Go, Prime, and YouTube.

One nice feature of some of these (the stick in particular) is that you can travel with them and hook them up to any HDMI port on any television. We take ours in our camper and other times when we travel, we use our cell as a hotspot for the wifi service, and as a result we have the exact same service as we have at home.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:12 PM   #84
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
No Grandkids yet, but I can definitely see locking them out of other apps and only allowing the Disney app.
My kids weren’t tied to devices when they were in strollers but this 5 and under set today is definitely high speed connected.
They had GBA, when older.

This could be huge for Disney, to hook them on exclusive content when they are young and then have streaming content for every age group.
May be time for more stock.
It's crazy. I'll see kids staring at phones while riding in strollers in my neighborhood. They're outside! There's a whole world around them.

But, yeah, I see this being a major appeal for parents of small children. In my house, we certainly prefer the programming on Disney Jr over Nick Jr and even some PBS. My kids will certainly enjoy this...whenever their mean parents let them watch it.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #85
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
It's crazy. I'll see kids staring at phones while riding in strollers in my neighborhood. They're outside! There's a whole world around them.

But, yeah, I see this being a major appeal for parents of small children. In my house, we certainly prefer the programming on Disney Jr over Nick Jr and even some PBS. My kids will certainly enjoy this...whenever their mean parents let them watch it.
I noticed it at Costco this weekend. Those kids had nice strollers and IPads. Did not look up once. My kids had dial up at that age.
Iím not judging, just noticing the captive audience and the lack of controlled content for that age group.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #86
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

If you live in the Netherlands, you can test Disney+ for free until it launches on Nov 12.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/disney-...ut-1202732651/
Old 09-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #87
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

I cant find the Disney Plus + app on my Roku. Is it available yet? I know the streaming doesn't start until November.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #88
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
I cant find the Disney Plus + app on my Roku. Is it available yet? I know the streaming doesn't start until November.
Only in the Netherlands since Disney has started a trial (test) there.

I wouldn't expect to see it in the US until much closer to the actual launch date.