home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Works for me...
Us too. We have Roku on almost every TV in the house. That said, I still have to imagine Fire will come along - that's a big market to leave out.

The more interesting question is if/when they will make their way onto various TV platforms. We hove one tv used by our kids that doesn't even have ROKU, as all of the apps we use (YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu...) are already on the TV itself. I'm wondering if that will become part of the rollout down the road.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:24 AM   #12
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Cool I have amzn firestick

Haha. Hoping amazon gets added. Otherwise will have to get roku.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #13
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

I have a chromebook I currently use for Netflix and could use for Disney+
But Iím hoping to purchase a new smart tv that has the apps.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #14
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I wonder what the reason is for not being on Amazon? It's not like the two are big competitors (unlike Amazon/Apple where Apple makes it impossible to buy direct from Amazon in their apps).

Maybe Amazon doesn't want to carry anything that discourages people from buying Disney media? Or Disney doesn't want to pay carriage fee Amazon is charging? It just doesn't make sense because both would benefit from increased exposure.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I wonder what the reason is for not being on Amazon? It's not like the two are big competitors (unlike Amazon/Apple where Apple makes it impossible to buy direct from Amazon in their apps).

Maybe Amazon doesn't want to carry anything that discourages people from buying Disney media? Or Disney doesn't want to pay carriage fee Amazon is charging? It just doesn't make sense because both would benefit from increased exposure.

Dirk
I really don't know either. The only thing I can imagine is that there is some sort of negotiation behind the scenes that hasn't come to terms. I honestly don't know how this works - I don't know who pays who. Does Roku pay Netflix for the privilege of carrying the app on their platform, or does Netflix pay Roku because it will draw in more subscribers? I could see the 'Who brings the value?' argument being tricky with something like Disney.

All conjecture, of course, but it is the only thing I can imagine. As you rightly state, there's no logical reason they wouldn't want a partnership.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:07 AM   #16
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Dirk
I don't think Amazon cares about discouraging people or you wouldn't have any streaming service with them.

I would imagine it's more about striking the right deal between the two. Like I said I'm not buying new for this. It works great with the apps I care most about. If I don't watch it, I'll just not renew after the 3 yr deal is up.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #17
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Dirk
They've been in a tiny feud for several years. I think it first surfaced over profits from blue ray disc movie sales. There's been holds on pre-orders, not able to pre-order when other places have them etc. I read a news article speculating how this is probably an extension of that feud.

I do expect that eventually it'll be available on the Firestick. Currently it's Disney's way to show a little more of it's muscle to Amazon.