home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-16-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Default Dinsey in talks for Obi-Wan Series

'Star Wars': Ewan McGregor in Talks for an Obi-Wan Kenobi Series for Disney+

The Jedi Order is once again calling Ewan McGregor into service.
The actor, who famously portrayed the masterful Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi in three Star Wars movies, is in negotiations to reprise the role in a Kenobi-centered series for Disney+, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...disney-1201364
Old 08-16-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I feel this will be exciting series......can't wait for Disney+ to roll out!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Definitely looking forward to all the Disney+ offerings.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

This excites me. After just re-watching the prequels, he does a great job. I read he studied Alec Guiness to make sure he used the same inflections, pacing, and body language.

Right script and direction and it could be great. There is certainly a ton to work with. (But has to be before Revenge of the Sith, doesn't it. Otherwise it's just cranky Ben Kenobi hanging out in Tatooine caverns.)

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

When would they set a Kenobi series? He still wasnít Jedi Knight in Phantom Menace. Any time after that until end of Sith and heís got Anakin bouncing all over the place. After Sith, heís just hanging out in Tatooine caves, sipping tea, reading Shakespeare and watching Luke grow.

Maybe he went on adventures and took a Luke Cam with him?

Dirk

Old 08-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
John2247
Two Bedroom

Sounds Great. I think Ewan McGregor is a really good actor. He did a great job in Beauty and the Beast and the earlier Star Wars.

John
Old 08-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

"You mean old Ben Kenobi?"
No, this will be the young one. Strike that! "Middle-aged".

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 08-16-2019 at 06:06 PM.
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
Rigby
Grand Villa

Can't wait! He was great in those movies.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
walnuts24
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
When would they set a Kenobi series? He still wasn’t Jedi Knight in Phantom Menace. Any time after that until end of Sith and he’s got Anakin bouncing all over the place. After Sith, he’s just hanging out in Tatooine caves, sipping tea, reading Shakespeare and watching Luke grow.

Maybe he went on adventures and took a Luke Cam with him?

Dirk
Time to geek out a little.

There are really only two options for a Kenobi series.

1. Prequels that show Obi and Qui-Gon as master/apprentice. While this would be wildly entertaining if you know Qui-Gon's back story, this does not seem reasonable since we are almost 20 years of real time after Episode III and Ewan McGregor is the guy in talks again.

Which brings me to the most logical option. *SPOILERS AHEAD*

2. This is almost perfect timing for the gap between III and IV where Obi-Wan is on Tatooine. I don't know every detail, but for those who don't know the general idea in the books/comics/short stories is that Darth Maul survives after his fight from Episode I with Obi-Wan. Rumor is the Sith Lord uses his powers to bring him back to life. If you saw Solo than you saw Darth Maul at the end of the movie, which took place after Episode I (proving he did survive and making it Canon on screen). The full story of Obi/Darth Maul is of him protecting Luke while simultaneously hunting Darth Maul. The Emperor knows that Anakin had at least one kid and he uses everything at his disposal to hunt them down. The series would be perfect to follow this story arc. Sometime shortly before Luke runs to 'Ben' with C3PO and R2D2, Obi-Wan (the start of A New Hope) finishes his story with Darth Maul and kills him.

If Disney really wanted they could show peaks of a young Luke (think Episode I Annakin age) showing some of his quotes from the movies like:

"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."

Hope that gets everyone excited! I am pumped.
walnuts24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuts24 View Post
Time to geek out a little.

There are really only two options for a Kenobi series.

1. Prequels that show Obi and Qui-Gon as master/apprentice. While this would be wildly entertaining if you know Qui-Gon's back story, this does not seem reasonable since we are almost 20 years of real time after Episode III and Ewan McGregor is the guy in talks again.

Which brings me to the most logical option. *SPOILERS AHEAD*

2. This is almost perfect timing for the gap between III and IV where Obi-Wan is on Tatooine. I don't know every detail, but for those who don't know the general idea in the books/comics/short stories is that Darth Maul survives after his fight from Episode I with Obi-Wan. Rumor is the Sith Lord uses his powers to bring him back to life. If you saw Solo than you saw Darth Maul at the end of the movie, which took place after Episode I (proving he did survive and making it Canon on screen). The full story of Obi/Darth Maul is of him protecting Luke while simultaneously hunting Darth Maul. The Emperor knows that Anakin had at least one kid and he uses everything at his disposal to hunt them down. The series would be perfect to follow this story arc. Sometime shortly before Luke runs to 'Ben' with C3PO and R2D2, Obi-Wan (the start of A New Hope) finishes his story with Darth Maul and kills him.

If Disney really wanted they could show peaks of a young Luke (think Episode I Annakin age) showing some of his quotes from the movies like:

"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."

Hope that gets everyone excited! I am pumped.
Interesting. I did see Solo and noticed the Darth Maul character, but I didnít place him as Darth Maul, just thought he was of the same species.

I confess to partially web-surfing through Solo - the only film that really didnít grab me. (I thought Rogue One was a masterpiece.)

Dirk