home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
pdude81
Grand Villa

Default Rumored Polynesian Changes

So on facebook, Tikiman has posted that there are some big changes expected for the Polynesian coming up. Some have to do with cash room renovations, but there is chatter about current surveying for a potential new DVC resort or addition there. Has anybody here heard any recent information or rumors about this?

As I look at the map, they pretty much only could renovate existing longhouses as they did before (doubtful), wipe out Spirit of Aloha to build over there, or put a tower up on the parking lot across from the monorail station and ME dropoff.

Someone on another forum said they were told that PVB was planned in multiple phases early on and that there was to be more coming with one and two bedroom villas, but this was years in the past. I'm just trying to pick apart what is armchair engineering or wish list thinking from what might actually be happening down the road. Of course I understand also that even if they are surveying it could just mean they are figuring out which of multiple locations they might build at down the road.

Just grasping for information if there is any to be had. Thanks in advance
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
lcur77
Studio

I could see another longhouse going behind Pago Pago. Maybe something that is 4 stories instead of 3 to not complete change the sightlines of the resort but allow for addition rooms and room types. That might not be worth it though for the amount of points they could sell off one longhouse.
lcur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

That's a long time rumor about PVB2

Sadly they took so long that it'll likely be a separate entity vs adding on like at SSR. Though they still can add per the POS.

They have some room, but not a lot. If they make a separate entity I think it'll be smaller than PVB which isn't great for size wise in terms of getting a room. Not sure I'd buy in to a tiny resort.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #4
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
As I look at the map, they pretty much only could renovate existing longhouses as they did before (doubtful), wipe out Spirit of Aloha to build over there, or put a tower up on the parking lot across from the monorail station and ME dropoff.

Someone on another forum said they were told that PVB was planned in multiple phases early on and that there was to be more coming with one and two bedroom villas, but this was years in the past.ing for information if there is any to be had.
I remember heated discussion here about this in the past when charging for parking was just rumored. I proposed - and still believe - that all resorts, but especially those on the monorail and boardwalk with land constriction, will significantly reduce the parking lots and repurpose those plats for taller structures to house more traditional DVC rooms from lock-off studios up to 3BR. That means the real possibility of using the land across the street or wherever a close parking lot or empty lot exists and repurposing that land that is currently not bringing in its potential value. I think we'll see this within the next 10 years for sure at PVB, and quite possibly with both BCV and BWV extensions. I can see them incorporating a Spa and more retail in the Crescent Bay area resorts that are owned and operated by Disney.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Oh_Joy!
Studio

So what’s the over-under? Do you think this will be before or after BLT2? I can envision DVD tearing down the remaining garden wing at CR in order to erect another tower before they do a PVB2.
Oh_Joy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Joy! View Post
So what’s the over-under? Do you think this will be before or after BLT2? I can envision DVD tearing down the remaining garden wing at CR in order to erect another tower before they do a PVB2.
That's hard to say, but if I were DVD I'd rather build on the water at Luau cove or at great difficulty at the old Venetian site than chop up the Garden wing at CR because the view of the castle there is rough. I hope they don't try to build between GF and the new pedestrian bridge but any resort that close would demand a huge premium also.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

I can see them doing something to expand DVC at Polynesian, especially since it's the only DVC resort which just has studio or bungalow options, no one bedroom options.
I'll be at the Polynesian in a week or so, so I'll certainly keep my ears open.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
cedel47
Studio

If this is to happen, the big question would be is a new DVC resort or will it be part of the current PVB? My first thought is it would be a new DVC resort separate from PVB. However that would not solve the issue of just studios and those point hungry bungalows. Plus, it only opened within the last five years so maybe they would add on 1 and 2 BR's to the existing PVB. As an PVB owner I hope they add on to the existing and not make its own resort like they did with CCV.
cedel47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedel47 View Post
If this is to happen, the big question would be is a new DVC resort or will it be part of the current PVB? My first thought is it would be a new DVC resort separate from PVB. However that would not solve the issue of just studios and those point hungry bungalows. Plus, it only opened within the last five years so maybe they would add on 1 and 2 BR's to the existing PVB. As an PVB owner I hope they add on to the existing and not make its own resort like they did with CCV.
If they added to the existing resort they would have to either keep the ridiculous $230 price point or get ready for villagers with pitchforks wondering why they had to pay $230 for the same thing someone else got for whatever the going rate is at the time. It actually makes more sense for them to have a new resort with an additional pool and they all share amenities. Similar to the addition of CCV but hopefully without more bungalows.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
That's a long time rumor about PVB2

Sadly they took so long that it'll likely be a separate entity vs adding on like at SSR. Though they still can add per the POS.

They have some room, but not a lot. If they make a separate entity I think it'll be smaller than PVB which isn't great for size wise in terms of getting a room. Not sure I'd buy in to a tiny resort.
I'd actually lean more towards guessing it would be an addition to the existing association. History has brand new resorts being sold with only 40 years on the contracts. This would be about the same.

The original plans for PVB had me very excited about DVC there! I think that would be a huge addition.