home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Default Observations About 9/26 Moonlight Magic at Hollywood Studios

Let me start by saying we are adult travelers with no kids. My perspective may be totally different than those with children.

After having endured the most stressful time ever getting these free passes to MM @HS, I was finally excited to see what this was all about. We left our resort around 6:30, arriving at HS fairly quickly by bus. OMG, the bus stops are really really far from the park entrance. This was a major turn off for us. Hoping they move them back closer once the construction is finished. If this is a permanent location, that will be a huge problem for many people.

I planned to circumvent the bag check by taking the smallest purse possible I could find to carry sunglasses, EpiPen, coin purse and tissues. Still got the bag lady from hell. I mean how many ways can you look in a single pocket small purse? Plus she had to take everything out. Disney needs to revamp this process. We proceed to the turn about to go in and the CM asks" Do you have fast passes" Huh? I said thought we couldn't get any?( showing him my band). " Oh, ok go ahead. Now I'm totally confused.

My only requirement of the evening was to get a free Mickey bar. Check out some shops, don't see any Moonlight Magic apparel. Is about 7:45p so I'm thinking they will bring it out later. There were only a hand full of attractions open for MM magic. If your planning on doing most of the rides/ shows get there before 6p. No more shows after that. We are not coaster people so we mainly walked around trying to get a Mickey bar. First lady " Nope you have to wait until 8:30p." Huh? Ok. We wait another 1/2. Mosy over to Sunset strip to get our free food to take home. Wow! That food area was packed!

We get our pizza to go. See an ice cream wagon. Great its 8:40. " Can I have a Mickey bar please?" No, you have to wait until 9:00p. What? But I could get the free entree ( had it in our hands). " Yes mam you can get the food but no Mickey bars before 9:00p." Just not getting this.

So we are ready to go. Not worth waiting for my coveted Micky bar. Toy Story land was cute, but lines were already at 50 minutes.All we wanted to see were some shows which were not operating during MM hours.Lots of walking with nothing to see for us. And the bus ride home was quick after you walked 10-15 minutes to the bus stop.

So for us it was quite a let down. Yes it was free but when only a few attractions are open, it just wasn't worth it. I would suggest to wait and go much later. Wait times should be less and regular ticket people should be gone. Would I do it again? No. YMMV.

Last edited by BWV Dreamin; 09-27-2018 at 08:59 AM.
BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Iím sorry the event was a disappointment. I know you battled it out with the rest of us to secure tickets too. Well, if nothing else, you wonít feel the need/pressure to secure tickets to another event and can go about that day stress free. After this one at HS next week, I donít know if it will be worth the stress for me either. The one at TL was fun enough, but I wouldnít plan a trip around it. Weíre also going to MNSSHP for the first time with a big group, so Iím very much looking forward to our trip. Also, I saw the high in Orlando was 95 yesterday. Thatís just wrong in late September!!!
Old 09-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Iím sorry the event was a disappointment. I know you battled it out with the rest of us to secure tickets too. Well, if nothing else, you wonít feel the need/pressure to secure tickets to another event and can go about that day stress free. After this one at HS next week, I donít know if it will be worth the stress for me either. The one at TL was fun enough, but I wouldnít plan a trip around it. Weíre also going to MNSSHP for the first time with a big group, so Iím very much looking forward to our trip. Also, I saw the high in Orlando was 95 yesterday. Thatís just wrong in late September!!!
It has been extremely hot for this time of year. Definitely wait until later in the evening for this event. No way would I ever plan a trip around one of these events.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Belle & Ariel
Two Bedroom

We were there the week before and I agree it had too many people for the few attractions open. Late at night Midway Mania still had a 45 minute wait. Slinky was longer and Saucers was about 30 I think. You could basically do once each in the three hour party. Not a great deal to me.
We don't do EMH at DHS because of so few things open but I expected less people at this with managable waits.
We checked in at Boardwalk and they did not have the printed schedule/map. They did not have them at check in at the studios either. I think there were fireworks but we missed them. We only saw ice cream at one place and I didn't get because I was hoping to find one with the ice cream sandwich instead of Mickey bar. Never got one as there were no others. Disney cut way back from prior events.
My confirmation email said the party was 9:30-12:30 but when we went to Midway Mania at 12:06 it was closed. Cms were directing people to the exits.
We wished we had done EMH at MK instead.
We have done other DVC events in the past year and they were much better.

New AP count. Dec 10. Jan 5 (15) Feb 4 (19) March 6. (25) April/May 8 (33) June 9 (42) Sept 7 (49) Nov/Dec 4 (51)

Newest AP count. Dec 5. January 9 (14) April 9 (23) May 9 (32)
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
Steamboat42
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I am really trying to take this review as an honest review, but I am struggling with a few things to be honest, unless they changed that much from 9/19 when I attended and had a great time.

1. All the rides were open during MM. Can you name a ride that was closed?
2. They did have a few shows during MM, Fantasmic, Movie projection show multiple times on the Chinese Theater, etc.
3. There were a number of characters out with no lines or walk on lines.
4. TSL was busy but much slower than during the day and by 11pm had gotten down to <30 min for all rides. ToT and RnR were literally walk on.
5. The event was slated to start at 9am. Food vouchers specifically stated a starting time. Why would the Mickey Bars be available before the start of the event? Even so it sounds like you received some bad info from a CM.

I am not sure what else you could have expected...
Steamboat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Steamboat42
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
We proceed to the turn about to go in and the CM asks" Do you have fast passes" Huh? I said thought we couldn't get any?( showing him my band). " Oh, ok go ahead. Now I'm totally confused.
The CM asked you this because you were entering before the party started. Fast passes were available until 9pm but your FPs won't work if you have not scanned into the park. So if you have an AP and booked FP prior to end of normal park opening you woukd have to scan in to use the FP...
Steamboat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #7
Quellman
Grand Villa

Sorry you had a bum time.

The bus loop will revert back once the construction is done.
The bag witches just simply exist. Sometimes you get the pat down, othertimes the cavity.
As for the dining. I can't comment on why you could get the meal but not the snacks. My bet is this. The quick service was done serving day guests. They had closed out for the night. The ice cream cart guy was still tendering to day guests until 9pm. Once 9pm came, the ODF stocker would come and inventory the cart and they would remove the money. Then the cart operator would be able to dish out the mickey bars. I know this because I used to work outdoor foods Hollywood Studios. The inventory count was the only way that they can verify that the amount of money tendered matches the suspected amount sold. Otherwise it would be too easy to skim money from the mouse. (Less so with the amount of people using cards and magic bands now).

I personally found Member Magic to be just like Extra Magic hours in terms of attractions open and crowd levels. Just with a few free foods.

Again, I am sorry you didn't have a good time. Drop a note to member services so they can make changes if warranted.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat42 View Post
I am really trying to take this review as an honest review, but I am struggling with a few things to be honest, unless they changed that much from 9/19 when I attended and had a great time.

2. They did have a few shows during MM, Fantasmic, Movie projection show multiple times on the Chinese Theater, etc.
4. TSL was busy but much slower than during the day and by 11pm had gotten down to <30 min for all rides. ToT and RnR were literally walk on.
5. The event was slated to start at 9am. Food vouchers specifically stated a starting time. Why would the Mickey Bars be available before the start of the event? Even so it sounds like you received some bad info from a CM.

To answer a few questions, why would they let us in at 7p if food was restricted until after 9 ( which it was not, just the Mickey bars). No Indiana Jones, Beauty and Beast Show. We saw the projection show. It was ok. Would not consider it an attraction. Characters had long lines. Yes they were there but again we had no kids along. Maybe the characters alone appeal to others? Like I said YMMV.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellman View Post
Sorry you had a bum time.

The bus loop will revert back once the construction is done.
The bag witches just simply exist. Sometimes you get the pat down, othertimes the cavity.
As for the dining. I can't comment on why you could get the meal but not the snacks. My bet is this. The quick service was done serving day guests. They had closed out for the night. The ice cream cart guy was still tendering to day guests until 9pm. Once 9pm came, the ODF stocker would come and inventory the cart and they would remove the money. Then the cart operator would be able to dish out the mickey bars. I know this because I used to work outdoor foods Hollywood Studios. The inventory count was the only way that they can verify that the amount of money tendered matches the suspected amount sold. Otherwise it would be too easy to skim money from the mouse. (Less so with the amount of people using cards and magic bands now).

I personally found Member Magic to be just like Extra Magic hours in terms of attractions open and crowd levels. Just with a few free foods.

Again, I am sorry you didn't have a good time. Drop a note to member services so they can make changes if warranted.
Let's hope that happens. Major complaints from others as we walked back all the way to stop 24 (25 being the last stop).
Old 09-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat42 View Post

Why would you feel the need to attack the review? Why not just post your own review with your positive experiences.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote