home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 AM   #31
richviii
One Bedroom
 
richviii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR0929 View Post
My biggest problem is that I'm a sucker for Disney resorts. I love the service and atmosphere. I also really love the peace of mind of knowing what can be expected when staying on Disney property (cleanliness, family-friendly environment, etc). Our plan was to have no plans for the travel day, one park day, and then one day by the pool before traveling the next day to Aulani. Then the same scenario on the way home. Since our kids are young they'll be more than happy with pool days, but I have a feeling that we will be doing a lot of hanging out by the pool at Aulani so we might just use your suggestion. I haven't been in about 12 years, but my daughter is an animal LOVER so the San Diego Zoo may have to be worked into our plans. Thanks for the suggestion!
We spent more time in the water at Aulani than we ever have. My DW and I always joke when we are WDW, we can go to the “pool” at home. Granted they are not Disney pools but if we have spent the money, we are going to hit the parks. The other thing to factor in is your body clock. FL right? We were on East Coast time and that impacted our normal routine. At Aulani, we woke up early and went to bed around 9pm. As hard as we tried for the 7nights/8 days it was tough. We also would nap in the middle of the day. While we liked breaking it up on the way out, we wish we had done it either on the way back or as you are proposing. Travel from LAX or other airports also takes time. When we arrived direct from BWI, we were in the park by 1pm. I like the idea of making that a relax by the pool and downtown disney. Hit DL and CA each a day and then going to Aulani. We were on an early morning flight to HNL and while it gave us more time that first day, I would have maybe taken a later flight. With the time change, it was still easy to get up early. On the way home, I would not have taken the 8:40 pm flight to LAX. While at amazing Aulani, once we lost our room, we were ready to go the airport. I am in San Diego now and could easily see how the drive from here or LAX to here could include DL and a nice drive.
__________________
---------------
Upcoming
2018 Jan - Swan & Dolphin 2018 Apr - BCV 2018 Sept - BLT 2018 Nov - Swan & Dolphin, BLT

Recent
2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT 2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #32
TexasChick
Two Bedroom
 
TexasChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR0929 View Post
My biggest problem is that I'm a sucker for Disney resorts. I love the service and atmosphere. I also really love the peace of mind of knowing what can be expected when staying on Disney property (cleanliness, family-friendly environment, etc). Our plan was to have no plans for the travel day, one park day, and then one day by the pool before traveling the next day to Aulani. Then the same scenario on the way home. Since our kids are young they'll be more than happy with pool days, but I have a feeling that we will be doing a lot of hanging out by the pool at Aulani so we might just use your suggestion. I haven't been in about 12 years, but my daughter is an animal LOVER so the San Diego Zoo may have to be worked into our plans. Thanks for the suggestion!
Look into the SoCal City pass. It saved our family of 4 over $600. I didn't just take the website's word for it either. I actually priced it out! It makes getting the MaxPass more palatable when you've saved that much! Make sure you click to add the zoo though as that is not automatically a part of it. If you forget to click it, they cannot add it later for some reason.
__________________
TexasChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #33
LR0929
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richviii View Post
We spent more time in the water at Aulani than we ever have. My DW and I always joke when we are WDW, we can go to the “pool” at home. Granted they are not Disney pools but if we have spent the money, we are going to hit the parks. The other thing to factor in is your body clock. FL right? We were on East Coast time and that impacted our normal routine. At Aulani, we woke up early and went to bed around 9pm. As hard as we tried for the 7nights/8 days it was tough. We also would nap in the middle of the day. While we liked breaking it up on the way out, we wish we had done it either on the way back or as you are proposing. Travel from LAX or other airports also takes time. When we arrived direct from BWI, we were in the park by 1pm. I like the idea of making that a relax by the pool and downtown disney. Hit DL and CA each a day and then going to Aulani. We were on an early morning flight to HNL and while it gave us more time that first day, I would have maybe taken a later flight. With the time change, it was still easy to get up early. On the way home, I would not have taken the 8:40 pm flight to LAX. While at amazing Aulani, once we lost our room, we were ready to go the airport. I am in San Diego now and could easily see how the drive from here or LAX to here could include DL and a nice drive.
Thank you for the feedback! I will definitely keep the flight timing as a priority, especially since we will be traveling with two young children. What's funny is that we actually stay at WDW for the exact opposite reason as you guys. Since we live so close to Disney (I can literally see the MK fireworks from my backyard), we only stay on property at WDW to use the pools and enjoy the resorts themselves. Otherwise we just drive to the parks (and park for free since we are annual pass holders). We just closed on an Aulani resale contact earlier this month and I am super excited to start using the points. My only concern now is getting what we want at VGC in the 7 month window. Who knows.. maybe another add-on is in our future, especially since my husband has family in Cali
LR0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #34
LR0929
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Look into the SoCal City pass. It saved our family of 4 over $600. I didn't just take the website's word for it either. I actually priced it out! It makes getting the MaxPass more palatable when you've saved that much! Make sure you click to add the zoo though as that is not automatically a part of it. If you forget to click it, they cannot add it later for some reason.
I just looked it up! Sounds perfect, especially for when we plan trips to just Cali. Thank you!
LR0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #35
Lovetheboardwalk
Two Bedroom
 
Lovetheboardwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 793
Default

Thank you for all the DL tips and recommendations! I locked down our 1 BR today and now I feel like I can really plan
Sounds like I should buy park hoppers and also add the Maxpass? We are excited to do the early morning power walk and visit the roof for fireworks.
We have 3 nights so I am also planning at least an afternoon to enjoy the resort and pools.

We are considering taking the Starlight Amtrak train up the coast after DL.
Just not sure about my 6'4" husband in a sleeping car! Maybe we will just take Coach up to Sacramento.

Any trip suggestions after DL welcomed! 2 kids that are 21 and 23 and my husband and myself.
__________________
~~Be a fountain, not a drain~~

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

upcoming trips:
BWV Jan. 2018*** BRV March 2018

Disneyland ~ VGC May 2018
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software