home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Last yr I did consider buying a6500 but I got better price on a7rii so end up buying second a7rii body (I was buying Sony for switch-over)

I have f/4 FF lenses but they are not sharp enough, yes they are very light.

If you do get a6500, I believe 16-70 has better reviews then 18-105.

You should be able to get 55-210 used very cheap.
It sells used for about the same price if it's included in a kit, so I plan on getting the 55-210 up front. It gets really decent reviews so it might work well. I've also considered the Canon 70-200/L f4 (older version with IS) with an adapter. It's supposed to be a great lens for around $500 (cheaper used) and the a6500 has good in-body stabilization.

I don't use that reach often but would certainly enjoy it when I want it.

Dirk
Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #22
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Thanks for the tips on the other cameras. In fairness to Sony, their 16-70 f4 zoom is roughly the same price as Canon's 24-105 f4 and both cover the same focal range.

The only viable Sony zoom alternative is there 18-105 f4. It's not as sharp, and the Power Zoom comes off as annoying for photography while loved for video. I have to figure out if the extra sharpness of the Zeiss is worth the extra $$. I may end having to test both before committing the $$$. At least i know I can buy used for a reasonable savings!

Something I haven't considered is that the Sony a6500 auto-focus works very well with Canon and vintage lenses with either a Sigma or Sony adapter, which isn't true with older models. That broadens my lens options considerable, which is good because I have a Canon ef-s 60mm 2.8 macro, and Sony doesn't have an alternative that's as fast. The whole world of vintage primes would also be very interesting to explore - there's supposed to be some amazing glass out there for little money.

A professional photographer attended a recent baptism at my church. He said I would be happy with either Fuji or Sony, and that both had their plusses and minuses. He went with Fuji because Sony wasn't there yet, but now he said it would be a very hard choice! I guess it's kind of like deciding which is better, Magic Kingdom or Disneyland.

Dirk

I have sigma MC-11 adapter which is cheaper then Metabone. Does the work OK/fine but will not trust if I am looking for sports shots. You may hear some grinding noise if you use for videos.

Most new Sony cameras responds better with adapter then older version. Frame rates goes down with adapter.

In body stabilization will be available only for 3 axis not 5 axis with non stabilized lenses using adapters.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #23
dmaxphil
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Welcome back Phil.
Hey Rakesh! I still read the boards weekly.
dmaxphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #24
dmaxphil
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Last yr I did consider buying a6500 but I got better price on a7rii so end up buying second a7rii body (I was buying Sony for switch-over)

I have f/4 FF lenses but they are not sharp enough, yes they are very light.

If you do get a6500, I believe 16-70 has better reviews then 18-105.

You should be able to get 55-210 used very cheap.
Yes, the A7RII is in a completely different league. My favorite lens was no doubt the 55mm. The 24-70GM is a great zoom if you can justify the price. The little 28mm is nice for a grab and go situation. I actually thought the 70-200 f4 was really a pretty sharp copy.

I just grew tired of carrying all the gear. You add a nice zoom to the A7 body and you are in dslr territory.

I've recently added an RX1RII to the collection. I'm kind of digging the fixed lens/full frame aspect. I mentioned I have a love-hate relationship with Sony right?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:16 PM   #25
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxphil View Post
Yes, the A7RII is in a completely different league. My favorite lens was no doubt the 55mm. The 24-70GM is a great zoom if you can justify the price. The little 28mm is nice for a grab and go situation. I actually thought the 70-200 f4 was really a pretty sharp copy.

I just grew tired of carrying all the gear. You add a nice zoom to the A7 body and you are in dslr territory.

I've recently added an RX1RII to the collection. I'm kind of digging the fixed lens/full frame aspect. I mentioned I have a love-hate relationship with Sony right?
I have 55mm, 24-70GM, 70-200 f/4. Usually I do 2 bodies, 24-70GM on one and 70-200 f/4 on other.

Next week trip to BCV I am planning all f4 lenses. 24-70 and 70-200 see how this works out.

I became a real camera/lens junky in last few yrs, too many gears not enough time to use it.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
Old 01-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #26
dmaxphil
Two Bedroom

Quote:
I have 55mm, 24-70GM, 70-200 f/4. Usually I do 2 bodies, 24-70GM on one and 70-200 f/4 on other.

Next week trip to BCV I am planning all f4 lenses. 24-70 and 70-200 see how this works out.

I became a real camera/lens junky in last few yrs, too many gears not enough time to use it.
That's a nice kit. Do you carry two FE bodies or is one of the cameras an A6***?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #27
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxphil View Post
That's a nice kit. Do you carry two FE bodies or is one of the cameras an A6***?
I have 2 FE bodies. Last yr I was going to buy one a6500 but I got good price on another a7r ii so bought that instead of a6500.

My buddies here are going all over on a7r iii. I just can not justify the upgrade charge at this time.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI