home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #31
PecosBill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
AND BRING BACK ADVENTURERS CLUB!!
I'm still surprised that they haven't relocated the Adventures Club to one of the existing parks. Adventureland in the MK, or anyplace in DAK where they can serve alcohol!
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #32
cardaway
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzney View Post
I think decades is a bit too much, maybe the last two-three years with Potter in place. The technology there is far superior to what Disney has but the rest of Universal is not, and rather lacklust and old in my opinion. We had fun but its not themed as well as WDW, WDW has it hands down for the way its mapped out for ease in getting around, but WDW needs to step it up and use the technology obviously avaialble with HP at WDW
Much of IOA, not just Potter, is better themed than Disney. I would say the same is true for the more recent attractions on the Studio side. And given many of the rather lackluster Disney addtions during that time frame, I would say the same for other parks around the world. Multiple parks out there are now making a habit of out Disneying Disney at there own (previous) game.

Buy where you want to stay!
cardaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #33
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaway View Post
Much of IOA, not just Potter, is better themed than Disney. I would say the same is true for the more recent attractions on the Studio side. And given many of the rather lackluster Disney addtions during that time frame, I would say the same for other parks around the world. Multiple parks out there are now making a habit of out Disneying Disney at there own (previous) game.
There is certainly some pretty good theming at the Universal parks, and some of it is superior to Disney. But this is in the walking around part, and not as much in the rides. We spent a full day there in May, and it was clear how superior Disney is in the ride area. Potter was definitely a theming highlight in terms of the castle and the grounds. Definitely on a par with Disney's best, and better than a lot. The ride itself was just a jerk box with decent "thrills," but was inferior to much of Disney.

The ride in Seuss Land, by contrast, was pretty lame. The ceiling showed open duct work. The ride itself was very jerky and almost amateurish, as were many of the rides at the Universal parks.

The live shows were very good, and these were quite a bit above the offerings at Disney (with the exception of the "British Revolution" in the UK at Epcot )

Overall, while Disney has room for improvement, they certainly have nothing to fear from Universal in terms of quality.

Cheers.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #34
brucerob62
Studio

Default brucerob62

smoking pot on a ride at a family park..well they serve alcohol...at a family park....i know i know..its legal to drink..but it doesnt make it right to subject that to kids and smoking too ..just saying..i know off topic..so will drop it
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #35
Dizzney
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
There is certainly some pretty good theming at the Universal parks, and some of it is superior to Disney. But this is in the walking around part, and not as much in the rides. We spent a full day there in May, and it was clear how superior Disney is in the ride area. Potter was definitely a theming highlight in terms of the castle and the grounds. Definitely on a par with Disney's best, and better than a lot. The ride itself was just a jerk box with decent "thrills," but was inferior to much of Disney.

The ride in Seuss Land, by contrast, was pretty lame. The ceiling showed open duct work. The ride itself was very jerky and almost amateurish, as were many of the rides at the Universal parks.

The live shows were very good, and these were quite a bit above the offerings at Disney (with the exception of the "British Revolution" in the UK at Epcot )

Overall, while Disney has room for improvement, they certainly have nothing to fear from Universal in terms of quality.

Cheers.

I thought I was the only one that noticed that there are ducts sowing and soemtimes you see things you shouldnt, Disney has a much different approach there which makes it more magical. DH and I did the tour in MK last year and it was amazing how careful they are with corners so you dont see backstage. They have signs reminding performers etc. Its jsut a more magical place but Harry Potter was great, felt like you were actually there

Proud Owner at Boardwalk Villas and Bay Lake Tower
Dizzney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #36
PecosBill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
The ceiling showed open duct work. The ride itself was very jerky and almost amateurish, as were many of the rides at the Universal parks.

I thought I was the only one that noticed that there are ducts sowing and soemtimes you see things you shouldnt, Disney has a much different approach there which makes it more magical. DH and I did the tour in MK last year and it was amazing how careful they are with corners so you dont see backstage. They have signs reminding performers etc. Its jsut a more magical place but Harry Potter was great, felt like you were actually there
This may be the case in the older parts of the Magic Kingdom, but not necessarily the newer parks.

Most of the rides/shows in DHS are nothing by big warehouse buildings, you look up and you see all the exposed electrical conduit and HVAC duct work. The same is true in the big show buildings at DAK. And true in many attractions in EPCOT including Innoventions, Imagination, and most recently in the queue line of Soriní (where it looks absolutely terrible).

And from what I seen in the Fantasyland expansion, exposed ductwork on the exterior of the new Dumbo attraction. Yes I know itís still under construction, and they have 3 months to hide it, but from what Iíve seen this is close to the final appearance
Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #37
cardaway
Add-on Aficionado

I love Disney parks, but I don't ever wear rose colored Disney glasses. Clearly others do.

What was true in the theming in the PotC and HM era (which I would agree has no equal) just isn't the Disney standard anymore. But in comparison, other parks are doing a better job lately in coming closer to that old standard than the old masters themselves. Cloest I've seen Disney come lately was the new TLM ride in DCA. But even that was only to the old stanard that was set with the first DL FL darkrides. Still nothing like PotC or HM.

And as a fun note... The Universal Hollywood building of Potter and the UO Potter expansion are now official. And given what I've seen from Disney lately... so glad Potter went to Universal.

Buy where you want to stay!
cardaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #38
PecosBill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardaway View Post
I love Disney parks, but I don't ever wear rose colored Disney glasses. Clearly others do.

What was true in the theming in the PotC and HM era (which I would agree has no equal) just isn't the Disney standard anymore. But in comparison, other parks are doing a better job lately in coming closer to that old standard than the old masters themselves. Cloest I've seen Disney come lately was the new TLM ride in DCA. But even that was only to the old stanard that was set with the first DL FL darkrides. Still nothing like PotC or HM.
Iím one of the biggest Disney critics (only because I know they can do better, because they have), but I would argue that the queue leading to the Tower of Terror, is reminiscent to that of the PotC and HM era. The ride itself may not be to the standards of the ones created by X Atencio, Claude Coats, Rolly Crump, Marc Davis, Harper Goff, and Yale Gracey, but they did a good job with the exterior gardens and hotel lobby.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #39
sharp4mickey
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Shanghai Disneyland is scheduled to open around 2017...2016 I think. Maybe they were getting confused with that park. Technically, that would be the 5th Disneyland. Just a thought.
sharp4mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #40
kathiewe
Grand Villa

We had the opportunity to ride on the railroad with someone who works for Disney and had a nice, all be it short, discussion about Disney improvements. He explained that Disney recognizes the need to reinvest in the existing parks, hense the reason they cancelled National Harbor. I hope that he is right because WDW does need some improvements -- particularly Epcot Future World, MK Tomorrowland, DHS and AK additional attractions (and personally I would like to be of the thrill variety), and DD update.

Wishes happen in the most unexpected ways!!! -- Jiminy Cricket in Wishes
kathiewe is offline   Reply With Quote