home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you buy the dining plan?
Always 6 3.85%
Occasionally 41 26.28%
Never 105 67.31%
One day soon 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #41
natjaceli
Studio

We have done the comparison with what we do spend and the cost of the dinning plans. Doesn't come close and we have 3 teens (2 are over 6ft tall!) so we can consume a lot of food. But the dinning plan still cost more.

On a side note, more than once we have been at a restaurant at WDW and been told, "no, you can't have that". Had to argue with a waitress at Rainforest Cafe because my daughter and I were going to split an appetizer for lunch. She was saying we weren't allowed to do that and was very persistent. Kept saying it was against the rules. Finally 5 min later, she mentioned something about the dinning plan. When we assured her we weren't on one, we were than "allowed" to order an appetizer to share. But, by dessert time, we had the same problem. Something my boys wanted they were told, "no, you can't have that" Had to remind her again that we were not on the dinning plan!!

Unfortunately this has happened a few times. Not to mention, when asked if you are on a dinning plan, and you can see the relief in the server/host face, it makes you glad you didn't dish out the extra money to purchase it!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #42
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Selected never because we now vacation without family and drink more than we eat.

DDP is convenient - everything is prepaid so your vacation seems inexpensive. When vacationing as a family we used it to try a variety of 2 dinner venues we would've never eaten. I will say that when you use the DDP at Cali Grille, the Living Seas, etc. the servings are such that you walk satisfied and glad you didn't 'pay' for the meal. The last time we bought DDP was 2005 and I came home 8 oranges because of all uneaten points. Even cashier said we wasted $. My BIL continues to purchase it - however, he does eat 2 full meals a day so I guess it's worth it to him.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #43
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Last time I was a the Poly there was a young couple buying breakfast for everyone behind them on line with their leftover CS meals.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular AND New Year's Eve 2017-18
The Fall of Disney 2017
A Tale of Two Views 2017
Back in the S.S.R. 2017
Universal Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 2016
Spring Surprise 2016
NYE in the World 2015-16

Coming up...
5/2018 BLT-Fantasy-BWV Eastern Carib *** 9/2018 BLT-Dream-BCV Halloween on the High Seas***10/2018 A Quick Stop at Pop!***BLT-BCV 12/2018 Another New Year ***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-BLT Western Carib

Home resorts BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #44
beemertec
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
Last time I was a the Poly there was a young couple buying breakfast for everyone behind them on line with their leftover CS meals.
I think we are going to try Kona Cafe on our visit in September. Maybe we will get lucky and someone will buy our breakfast!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #45
BecauseOfAMouse
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I chose occasionally. We've done the dining plan every year after our first year, but now we're going without. We prefer table service over quick service because we have five kids. It's awesome to have a table waiting for us and to have someone else deliver all the food to the table. I've also found that the table service restaurants offer food that's a little to a lot better than the counter service counterparts.

The dining plan was never the perfect fit. With the regular plan, we'd use the snacks, but didn't enjoy eating so many quick service meals. With the deluxe plan, we couldn't even eat the three meals there was so much food, so we did the mad candy dash on our last day to use up credits. My kids could easily share meals and my husband and I, though we always eat more heavily on vacation, would often rather skip either an appetizer or dessert, or share one.

We finally bought annual passes this year, so I'm very excited about using TIW, especially since it includes alcohol (thank you!). I booked two table service meals per day and am looking forward to exploring Disney snacks in between.

With how expensive our meals were in Disneyland, my husband is actually stressing about paying for the meals directly. I think he really enjoyed the pay for it and forget it part of the dining plan. Even if you don't save a penny, there's something to be said for having everything already budgeted and paid for. I'm hoping that he will relax once we are there.
BecauseOfAMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #46
anne122679
One Bedroom

"Last time I was a the Poly there was a young couple buying breakfast for everyone behind them on line with their leftover CS meals."

We had the same thing happen to us a couple of times at the Mara at AKL.
anne122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #47
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
I think I actually fibbed when I voted and said never but we did get it once. I think we did it just to try it. It was SO much food, we couldn't take it.
I did the same thing- in what we once did and how I voted. We did do it once, and I realized it was a monumentally stupid (for us) thing to do. And what was when we ate more than we do now.

Cheers.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #48
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
i am fat, most of us are fat, it is insane to prepay for food and then gorge myself at disney.
And things like these dining plans are one of the reasons that most people are fat.

Cheers.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #49
busters_eyes
One Bedroom

I never do the dining plan but find with my AP discounts for dining on our last trip that I saved money which was more important to me than just convenience. Besides, most of the time I prefer an appetizer to many desserts.

Last trip May 2018 WL
October 2017 GF, WL and BWV
December 2016 BLT, WL & BWV
June 2015 Port Orleans French Quarter
December 2013 SSR & BLT
Prior to 2013 at least 32X since 1972 (CRT, the old Disney Vacation Villas, CBR, OKW, BWV & BCV)
busters_eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #50
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by busters_eyes View Post
I never do the dining plan but find with my AP discounts for dining on our last trip that I saved money which was more important to me than just convenience. Besides, most of the time I prefer an appetizer to many desserts.
We rarely do dessert. We also like appetizers. Maybe split a main, but often just a set of appies. Also, DS has good happy hours at various places, so we go in for that as well.

We've been eating so much less that even TiW no longer makes sense for us.

Cheers.