home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
nicsmom
Grand Villa
 
nicsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,425
Default Advice: Traveling with Service Dog at MK-MVMCP

I am planning on attending MVMCP this December and my sister, who uses a Service Dog will be traveling with us. She may or may not be using a wheel chair also.

As she will have us, she could leave the dog in the hotel room but I worry about the ability of housekeeping, maintenance, etc to enter the room.

So, I am feeling nervous about having a dog at Disney. I think the Dog can go on “tame” rides and that is likely the only ones my sister would do anyway... but could we do rider swap or how would DAS work? Or would we need to do any of that for the party?

Has anyone traveled to MK with their Canine Companion animal and can offer tips?
__________________
.
We LOVE OKW !!!
Since 2011
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
Norl
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Norl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Western USA
Posts: 24
Default

This does not address leaving the animal in the hotel, but it does list the rides that service animals are allowed on.

https://www.themouseforless.com/walt...-disney-world/

The wording here:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...rvice-animals/

Says the animal has to be on a leash or in a harness at all times, which leads me to believe you can not leave it at the hotel.

But you could leave it at the disney world pet care center.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...ends-pet-care/

I would imagine that if you gave that pet care center a call they could probably give you a pretty good run down on handling service animals at the parks.
Norl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
Quellman
Grand Villa
 
Quellman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norl View Post
This does not address leaving the animal in the hotel, but it does list the rides that service animals are allowed on.

Says the animal has to be on a leash or in a harness at all times, which leads me to believe you can not leave it at the hotel.

But you could leave it at the disney world pet care center.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...ends-pet-care/

I would imagine that if you gave that pet care center a call they could probably give you a pretty good run down on handling service animals at the parks.
Several Disney Properties have pet specific wings. For a service animal, you could leave the dog in the room, provided it is crated etc. There are some guidelines that Disney would like you to follow in regards to how long the dog should be left alone, etc.
__________________
First trip '88
1998 DCL Magic
WDW Cast Member 2002 - 2006
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
nicsmom
Grand Villa
 
nicsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,425
Default

To clarify, we are not staying on property....
But we are staying at another timeshare condo.
This dog is very rarely alone, I would not advocate leaving her alone, in a strange place, without her human!

Therefore, subjecting her to the over stimulation of MK is the only other option.
She is very calm and disciplined but I imagine there are tips to make the experience easier on everyone.
__________________
.
We LOVE OKW !!!
Since 2011
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado
 
Shewill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsmom View Post
I am planning on attending MVMCP this December and my sister, who uses a Service Dog will be traveling with us. She may or may not be using a wheel chair also.

As she will have us, she could leave the dog in the hotel room but I worry about the ability of housekeeping, maintenance, etc to enter the room.

So, I am feeling nervous about having a dog at Disney. I think the Dog can go on “tame” rides and that is likely the only ones my sister would do anyway... but could we do rider swap or how would DAS work? Or would we need to do any of that for the party?

Has anyone traveled to MK with their Canine Companion animal and can offer tips?
Check with the cms at the blue umbrellas in all the parks. They can help with information about rider swaps and DAS. I have no idea if your friend would qualify.

The best tip I have heard is make the park trip as short as you can. Amusement parks can be very difficult for service dogs.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
nicsmom
Grand Villa
 
nicsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
Check with the cms at the blue umbrellas in all the parks. They can help with information about rider swaps and DAS. I have no idea if your friend would qualify.

The best tip I have heard is make the park trip as short as you can. Amusement parks can be very difficult for service dogs.
This is what I don’t want to do...have to cut our visit short!
__________________
.
We LOVE OKW !!!
Since 2011
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software