home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #11
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Not quite the same, but I was on another airline and they changed our flight time, then again, then AGAIN (you know how you get emails) and by the time it was done it was close to two hours different - not happy about it, but did some digging and there was a rule or law or something that if the flight they give you is more than x-number of minutes different than when you bought the tickets, you can legally get a refund. Called them up and they didn't even ask questions.

I got the impression the law was like - when I bought the tickets from you, we agreed up on this and that, now you've changed everything and aren't giving me what we agreed upon. That was a few years back.
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
Not quite the same, but I was on another airline and they changed our flight time, then again, then AGAIN (you know how you get emails) and by the time it was done it was close to two hours different - not happy about it, but did some digging and there was a rule or law or something that if the flight they give you is more than x-number of minutes different than when you bought the tickets, you can legally get a refund. Called them up and they didn't even ask questions.

I got the impression the law was like - when I bought the tickets from you, we agreed up on this and that, now you've changed everything and aren't giving me what we agreed upon. That was a few years back.
That is still the law. The airlines of course still just try and rebook you so it's good to know what they are legally obligated for. I looked once but have forgotten the exact limit. Also there's one for being bumped. Depending on the reason you can get your money back.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
lcur77
Studio

It seemed to me they were no longer flying direct to MCO from EWR so this isn't as big a deal as it could have been. Living in central NJ PHL is only a few minutes further so we have flown out of there our last few trips and looks like that will continue
lcur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
This is going to make PHL even more expensive for SW I think so BWI will be happening more often.
SW stopped direct service from EWR to MCO at least a year ago I believe. Connecting flights to MCO, from EWR, were more expensive than direct flights from PHL. I am going to miss SW from EWR as it offered another airport to comparison shop against (PHL, TTN, EWR, and if the price was right .. LGA or JFK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
That seems like a huge move for SW. I wonder why they are pulling out. Did they mention why on what you were reading?
I read that the flights from EWR were all operating at a loss. Their terminal in EWR wasn't the nicest. They shared with Jet Blue and others i believe. United / Continental dominates EWR and terminal C shows it!
Old 07-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #15
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcur77 View Post
It seemed to me they were no longer flying direct to MCO from EWR so this isn't as big a deal as it could have been. Living in central NJ PHL is only a few minutes further so we have flown out of there our last few trips and looks like that will continue
yep ..

Frontier out of TTN might even benefit from SWA's departure from EWR. TTN is great for me (20 - 30 minutes) but Frontier just scares me.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
lcur77
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi3323 View Post
yep ..

Frontier out of TTN might even benefit from SWA's departure from EWR. TTN is great for me (20 - 30 minutes) but Frontier just scares me.
Yeah I am about the same from TTN but after all the add ons Frontier is not as good of a deal as SW. Also due to multiple issues we now have $1500 in credits with Southwest so we are covered for a while.
lcur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #17
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

I don’t think the Max8 had much to do with this. It may be the excuse but I think the real reason is this was just not making them enough money
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #18
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi3323 View Post
SW stopped direct service from EWR to MCO at least a year ago I believe. Connecting flights to MCO, from EWR, were more expensive than direct flights from PHL. I am going to miss SW from EWR as it offered another airport to comparison shop against (PHL, TTN, EWR, and if the price was right .. LGA or JFK)
Yeah, Newark used to be the closest for me and I would avoid it any chance I could.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #19
fabricmage
Studio

[/quote]I read that the flights from EWR were all operating at a loss. Their terminal in EWR wasn't the nicest. They shared with Jet Blue and others i believe. United / Continental dominates EWR and terminal C shows it![/quote]

I didn't mind terminal A. It was old but it was small enough to negotiate easily. I despise terminal C after they "upgraded" it and put bars in the middle of the walkways and took out the people movers. Now, not only do I have to walk a mile or two to my gate but I have to dodge everyone else with luggage, strollers, etc. trying to walk around the bars/restaurants in the middle!
Of course, now that I think about it, it's just getting me prepared for WDW!

I agree that it's probably a cost savings. Wonder if SW will come back when they complete the new updated terminal?
fabricmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator

United has had good fares from EWR and tons of flights. I couldn’t see an advantage to flying SW. I used to fly them from PHL all the time when I lived in Trenton, but now I fly United out of EWR.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote