home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 07-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #11
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 871
Default

Not quite the same, but I was on another airline and they changed our flight time, then again, then AGAIN (you know how you get emails) and by the time it was done it was close to two hours different - not happy about it, but did some digging and there was a rule or law or something that if the flight they give you is more than x-number of minutes different than when you bought the tickets, you can legally get a refund. Called them up and they didn't even ask questions.

I got the impression the law was like - when I bought the tickets from you, we agreed up on this and that, now you've changed everything and aren't giving me what we agreed upon. That was a few years back.
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado
 
Goofygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
Not quite the same, but I was on another airline and they changed our flight time, then again, then AGAIN (you know how you get emails) and by the time it was done it was close to two hours different - not happy about it, but did some digging and there was a rule or law or something that if the flight they give you is more than x-number of minutes different than when you bought the tickets, you can legally get a refund. Called them up and they didn't even ask questions.

I got the impression the law was like - when I bought the tickets from you, we agreed up on this and that, now you've changed everything and aren't giving me what we agreed upon. That was a few years back.
That is still the law. The airlines of course still just try and rebook you so it's good to know what they are legally obligated for. I looked once but have forgotten the exact limit. Also there's one for being bumped. Depending on the reason you can get your money back.
__________________
Three Little Circles
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
lcur77
Studio
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 94
Default

It seemed to me they were no longer flying direct to MCO from EWR so this isn't as big a deal as it could have been. Living in central NJ PHL is only a few minutes further so we have flown out of there our last few trips and looks like that will continue
lcur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado
 
Yogi3323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"
Posts: 8,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
This is going to make PHL even more expensive for SW I think so BWI will be happening more often.
SW stopped direct service from EWR to MCO at least a year ago I believe. Connecting flights to MCO, from EWR, were more expensive than direct flights from PHL. I am going to miss SW from EWR as it offered another airport to comparison shop against (PHL, TTN, EWR, and if the price was right .. LGA or JFK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
That seems like a huge move for SW. I wonder why they are pulling out. Did they mention why on what you were reading?
I read that the flights from EWR were all operating at a loss. Their terminal in EWR wasn't the nicest. They shared with Jet Blue and others i believe. United / Continental dominates EWR and terminal C shows it!
__________________
Yogi3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #15
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado
 
Yogi3323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"
Posts: 8,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcur77 View Post
It seemed to me they were no longer flying direct to MCO from EWR so this isn't as big a deal as it could have been. Living in central NJ PHL is only a few minutes further so we have flown out of there our last few trips and looks like that will continue
yep ..

Frontier out of TTN might even benefit from SWA's departure from EWR. TTN is great for me (20 - 30 minutes) but Frontier just scares me.
__________________
Yogi3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
lcur77
Studio
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi3323 View Post
yep ..

Frontier out of TTN might even benefit from SWA's departure from EWR. TTN is great for me (20 - 30 minutes) but Frontier just scares me.
Yeah I am about the same from TTN but after all the add ons Frontier is not as good of a deal as SW. Also due to multiple issues we now have $1500 in credits with Southwest so we are covered for a while.
lcur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #17
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,647
Default

I don’t think the Max8 had much to do with this. It may be the excuse but I think the real reason is this was just not making them enough money
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #18
pdude81
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi3323 View Post
SW stopped direct service from EWR to MCO at least a year ago I believe. Connecting flights to MCO, from EWR, were more expensive than direct flights from PHL. I am going to miss SW from EWR as it offered another airport to comparison shop against (PHL, TTN, EWR, and if the price was right .. LGA or JFK)
Yeah, Newark used to be the closest for me and I would avoid it any chance I could.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #19
fabricmage
Studio
 
fabricmage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 90
Default

[/quote]I read that the flights from EWR were all operating at a loss. Their terminal in EWR wasn't the nicest. They shared with Jet Blue and others i believe. United / Continental dominates EWR and terminal C shows it![/quote]

I didn't mind terminal A. It was old but it was small enough to negotiate easily. I despise terminal C after they "upgraded" it and put bars in the middle of the walkways and took out the people movers. Now, not only do I have to walk a mile or two to my gate but I have to dodge everyone else with luggage, strollers, etc. trying to walk around the bars/restaurants in the middle!
Of course, now that I think about it, it's just getting me prepared for WDW!

I agree that it's probably a cost savings. Wonder if SW will come back when they complete the new updated terminal?
fabricmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator
 
carolina_yankee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 30,334
Default

United has had good fares from EWR and tons of flights. I couldn’t see an advantage to flying SW. I used to fly them from PHL all the time when I lived in Trenton, but now I fly United out of EWR.

Dirk
__________________


carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 AM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software