home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Default Is MVMCP Worth $104/Ticket?

So I was considering attending the MVMCP during our December visit. BUT the DVC price is $104/ticket. Is it really worth it? We are going to attend the Candlelight Processional at Epcot, purchasing the dining ticket for the Processional. So there is extra cost there. Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #2
Disney Spaz
One Bedroom

We did it twice, once last year and once in 2007. I would say no it is not worth it. While we enjoyed ourselves we did not feel like what they offered made it worth the ticket price. I can get hot chocolate and a variety of cookies for way less than the $400 I spent for my family of 4. The lines were somewhat shorter but being DVC members we utilize the FP+ with better efficiency then not having FP+ and going to the party. We got the t-shirts saying we went and it was a nice memory but I would have been happier spending our money somewhere else like a dessert party for fireworks or a couple of really nice dinners.
Disney Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
John2247
Two Bedroom

MVMCP is worth it if you enjoy a great nighttime parade and short waits for your rides. Otherwise save your money. We have attended both MVMCP and MNSSHP several times and I have always found them to be worth the money spent.

John
Old 05-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for in the party. We always do the party during our Nov/Dec trips. We like the “snow” on Main Street, we love the Christmas fireworks and the Christmas parade. The lines for rides are considerably shorter, and I’ve gotten some really great character photos during the parties. The refreshments are nice, but nothing really spectacular. That doesn’t stop us from sampling them, though. It just makes the trip feel more festive for me. I can’t tell you if it is worth the price, though. Only you can make that decision. Here’s hoping for really good feedback from other MO’s. Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Njmedic2819
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

We are going for the first time this year in Dec. I have a family of 6. So, it was 600 and change for us, even with DVC discount. I did notice, after i bought the tix of course, that UT had party tix for sale at 93 a piece. I am excited, but just based on price, I dont see this being an every year thing.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Quellman
Grand Villa

What are your goals in going? Characters? Short lines? Christmas spirit?

We didn't go last year to Christmas, but were there during that time, and my brother in law and his wife went. They found it too crowded and didn't even stay the whole time.

My wife and I personally enjoy the MNSSHP more than the christmas party. So many people dress up, the entertainment offerings are lovely, the parade is seriously our favorite one.

The Christmas spirit can be had around Magic Kingdom any night, and in fact they have the fireworks and parade as the normal ones leading up to Christmas anyway.

I don't remember if it is just the halloween party that is getting the new projections this year or if the christmas party is as well. You can really tell the difference between the original projections and the happily ever after ones.

I suspect that you'll have an enjoyable evening if it is something you want to do, but for us, these events are once every couple of years.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

When we first started attending parties (10-12 years ago), we were often working of daily tickets, so I could soften the blow of the cost by cutting a day from our tickets. Between that, the benefits of the party, and the notably lower costs at the time, it felt very much worth it.

Today, we typically travel on AP's, the parties have gotten more crowded, the costs are extraordinary, and buying for a family of 5 is painful. It has gotten harder and harder to justify the cost. We will probably still do them if there at the right time, but that's because we generally aren't - so a party every 3-4 years isn't the worst thing. I wouldn't see us doing it any more often than that, however, because it's really more about nostalgia than value at this point.

When it is just DW and me, on the other hand, I could see her wanting to do at least one of them every year!
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Like most things in Disney, it's not what it used to be. But it's still great. Still worth it to me.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
So I was considering attending the MVMCP during our December visit. BUT the DVC price is $104/ticket. Is it really worth it? We are going to attend the Candlelight Processional at Epcot, purchasing the dining ticket for the Processional. So there is extra cost there. Thoughts?
Geez, it’s gotten that expensive?

To be honest, comparing with After Hours, it’s actually a better deal. There is more on offer and you get to arrive earlier on the ticket (4 pm) negating the need for a park ticket that day if that’s an issue. So factor in that savings.

We like to do parties every few years. They are different and it’s fun to be in the park with fewer people (though there are still lots of them) and extra atmosphere. Halloween is my preferred, but Christmas is nice, too.

As for Candlelight Processional, unless prices have skyrocketed, I think the dining packages are actually reasonably priced considering the meal plus guaranteed access in decent seating.

So far, I’m finding Disney upcharges that include a full meal to be a decent value. It’s when it’s dessert or “just because” that the value becomes harder to justify on finances alone.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
swat08
One Bedroom

For us, yes it's worth it. Christmas atmosphere and spirit, less people, snow on Main Street, and the parade is my absolute favorite of all. We don't go to DW at Christmas every year so when we are there we always go to the party.
swat08 is offline   Reply With Quote