home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Springs
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
I enjoy the bars/lounges and restaurants and just wandering about. Way nicer than it used to be in the recent past, in my opinion.
and they have street musicians and some free entertainment dispersed.
I do miss the Adventurer's Club from Pleasure Island, though.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #12
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereed11 View Post
I think it has been mentioned, it really depends on what you want out of it. I think there are some great dining options. Some good shopping that only exists there. Itís a great break.

When our family goes to Disney we only spend a couple of days in the parks. We enjoy hanging out at the resorts and hitting up Disney Springs. We donít go out much with a 4 year old at home and that always seems like a family friendly evening environment to be in.
We spend a lot of time at DS. We are going to the parks less, now that they require so much planning.

We like to stay at OKW, so the boat provides easy access.

We like the Boathouse, Raglan Road, Sprinkles, Ghirardelli, and the new CS pizza place. We already have a houseful of souvenirs, so we donít buy much. We like wandering around DS at night. Sometimes we go over just to get a late night snack.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
Joel0917
Grand Villa

I still enjoy going. Often it's our "arrival day place" if we fly in later afternoon. we go there for dinner. Love dluxe. Love the Guy chicken place and a host of other restaurants. It's a good time for the kids to find something in the WOD store.
If it's just me and DW, then it's time to get our drink on. Our first go to is Jocks Hangor Bar. Then the Edison. Great drinks there. Best Mai Thai around. and the hanging bacon appettizer....MMMM.

Does it have the same feel as the parks - no it doesn't. But it's still Disney! And for now it's Free!
Stayed: SSR, AKV,AKL, THV, All star music, Pop Century, AofA, BLT, CBR.
Disneyland: 1998,2010, 2014, 2016
Stayed: VGC in 14/16
2016 - SSR/AKV and BLT
2017 BLT, SSR, AKV and coronado
Disney cruise: 2007, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
Wonder 2x and Fantasy 5x Magic 1x
Upcoming:
Dream September 2019
Star Wars AP days August 2019
F&W AKV
Thanks Giving AKV
Joel0917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #14
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

My husband loves wandering around over there. Our last trip he didnít even get park tickets. We did the DVC event at HS, a MNSSHP, but other than that he went to the pool and to DS while I went to the parks.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #15
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Yes I agree with OP. We generally avoid it. Bunch of chains. Ooooo....a rainforest cafe.....no thanks.
ďToo many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.Ē ~Walt Disney

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 PM   #16
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel0917 View Post
But it's still Disney! And for now it's Free!
Sort of.....

My personal experience indicates that DS can be more expensive than going to a park.

For example, on our last trip, my daughter suddenly craved a Star Wars Dooney & Bourke bag for her birthday. It was at the Star Wars store in DS. It would have been WAY cheaper to go to a park with our APs.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:05 AM   #17
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

We love Disney Springs! We don’t have a deluxe burger, chicken guy, boathouse, wine bar George, paddle fish, or gigantic world of Disney at home. We love the live music with a cocktail in hand, which is why I can sit in the Grand Floridian for hours listening to the orchestra with a cocktail in hand. What we do have is Disneyland 90 minutes away from home with superior rides over wdw (IMO) For us WDW is all about vacation mode and being immersed in the Disney magic that is Disney world. Eating, drinking, and pool time. The parks are a plus for us.

Wife and I are sneaking away for 5 days without the kids next month and we almost didn’t do any parks. We are doing Epcot one day for flower and Garden and that still doesn’t leave us enough time to do everything else we want to do that doesn’t involve the parks.

Just like the resorts, wdw has something for everyone

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:23 AM   #18
DVCjj
Grand Villa

Couple years before the revamping of 'Downtown Disney', they sent me a very lengthy questionnaire about what stores would appeal to me. It was extremely involved and I remember the rating system of what would appeal to me was very specific.

Long story short, I didn't care for most of them (and told them) because I have most of those stores at my nearby mall or downtown Chicago. They obviously didn't listen to my responses.

I am grateful, however, for Uniglo, which though now at my local mall, I had never heard of and appreciate their Heat Tech line for cold weather. I never would have known about it without Disney Springs. Some of the restaurants I like and the music is fun but the buses are a pain. (I now take Uber if I want to go).

Basically I could take it or leave it.
DVCjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:55 AM   #19
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattinColorado View Post
Does anyone actually go to Disney Springs? It just seems like a way to get you to spend more money. What a waste of a day. Am I missing something? It is a complete waste of valuable park time and at best is just a trip to the mall. I can do that where I live, while I'm not burning time on my multi-day theme park tickets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
I enjoy the bars/lounges and restaurants and just wandering about. Way nicer than it used to be in the recent past, in my opinion.
I am not a shopper. But I really enjoy the boat ride from OKW to DS.
We usually make the trip at least once, on a non-park day...but mostly just for the boat ride, a meal, and a stroll. As my trips become more adult focused and less park intensive, perhaps we will do more (window) shopping.
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:36 AM   #20
Orion54
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
Sort of.....

My personal experience indicates that DS can be more expensive than going to a park.

For example, on our last trip, my daughter suddenly craved a Star Wars Dooney & Bourke bag for her birthday. It was at the Star Wars store in DS. It would have been WAY cheaper to go to a park with our APs.
They should have given you the AP discount at the Star Wars store at DS too. Unless I'm miss understanding.