home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #41
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Bingo.....This is exactly where we are! Best of both worlds!
Dont' get me wrong. I love my kids and I love our family vacations. Our next family trip to WDW will be in 30 DEC-05 Jan and then we will go on a DCL Western Caribbean cruise from 05 -12 Jan but I have to admit that I truly treasure my solo vacations with my wife. I just retired out the military and I'm trying to make up for all the times that I left my wife alone while I was deployed.
dvcfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #42
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcfan937 View Post
I just retired out the military and I'm trying to make up for all the times that I left my wife alone while I was deployed.
Thank you and your wife for your service!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #43
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

We have been without our kids several times. Now that our son is in college
and our daughter is in marching band in high school it is harder and harder to plan family trips.

When we are without the kids, we love to check out all the bars. I am not a huge drinker but I do enjoy an occasional drink and I like there are no little kids in bars. LOL! Jock Lindseys at Disney Springs is a favorite. Last time we went to Abracadabra bar at Boardwalk. We also like to go ti the signature restaurants such as Jiko and order a variety of appetizers and some wine.

You may find that as you use studios for trips, you use less points so you will have more to bank and use later for family trips....or rent the points and use the cash for a variety of other kids of trips

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #44
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
Bingo.....This is exactly where we are! Best of both worlds!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
Enjoy it!
Go at a more leisurely pace. Stop and see the things you never noticed before because the kids would have thought it was boring. Plan nice adult meals. One of our favs is resort hopping, we go visit another resort and maybe just have lunch at the pool bar and stroll around (Jambo is awesome for this). Chill at TOWL and watch the fireworks. Stop and notice the beautiful landscaping and fountains. There is so much that we all miss when we are hurrying to the next thing.
My wife loves to shop at the Orlando outlets and we get to do that when we are by ourselves but the biggest benefit is that I don't have to take a vacation for my vacation anymore.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #45
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM4DVC View Post
Thank you and your wife for your service!
Thanks
Old 03-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #46
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
What a way to celebrate your wife's birthday!

Our first trip was to Hawaii without the kids......Two first class tickets!

The second time we went to Hawaii, we took the three kids......Two first class tickets, and three economy tickets.
I would love to do that but mama bear will not entertain the idea of us going on first class while the "kids" are in the economy class.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #47
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
What a way to celebrate your wife's birthday!

Our first trip was to Hawaii without the kids......Two first class tickets!

The second time we went to Hawaii, we took the three kids......Two first class tickets, and three economy tickets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM4DVC View Post
I think I would moved back to their row while they were gone - switched all their stuff and everything - then made sure I kicked all their seats for the rest of the flight. Telling me not to kick their seats wouldn't have worked either.

Why are people like this?!
I got so many horrors stories of kids misbehaving like that on my trips to the Middle East. On one of my trips to Saudi Arabia there were 3 kids from the same family that were running up and down the aisle. I finally got enough and talked to the flight attendant and she moved me to first class but I don't think the kids stop running around for the whole 10 hrs flight.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #48
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbread4 View Post
Ha! As long as none were toddlers, I approve. I once had a 15 hour flight to Hong Kong for work in economy with an angry seat kicking toddler in the seat behind me with who I thought was his mother. I found out later she was his nanny and his parents were in first class. He was having none of it and there was only so much the nanny could do.

This is hilarious!

Well, I mean, it's kind of funny in retrospect. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #49
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

My wife and I have addressed this "life transition" point a number of years ago. Understandable that it generates mixed feelings. The first time there without the kids creates a bit of a combination of excitement, nostalgia, guilt, loneliness, freedom, and other such conflicting emotions.

Trips with and without are different experience completely. Don't try to somehow "compare" them. They are two different things. Treat them as different trips.

Now we go by ourselves for the F+W each year. And we go with the kids and grandkids during the end of summer on the last of the school vacation period. Both WONDERFUL times.

If your kids are just off to independent lives and college and such... you are also hitting the first "empty nest" stuff... that compounds the issues.

Go... and enjoy a very different and still great experience. Savor the good memories it will invariably bring up. Remember that you gave your kids the gift of those fun times together,...... those do not go away for any of you. And also remember that they likely have long lives ahead of them, and will likely enjoy Disney off and on long after you are no longer going yourselves. And they will be happy that you are enjoying yourselves as a couple.

best,

.............john
Old 03-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #50
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
My wife and I have addressed this "life transition" point a number of years ago. Understandable that it generates mixed feelings. The first time there without the kids creates a bit of a combination of excitement, nostalgia, guilt, loneliness, freedom, and other such conflicting emotions.

Trips with and without are different experience completely. Don't try to somehow "compare" them. They are two different things. Treat them as different trips.

Now we go by ourselves for the F+W each year. And we go with the kids and grandkids during the end of summer on the last of the school vacation period. Both WONDERFUL times.

If your kids are just off to independent lives and college and such... you are also hitting the first "empty nest" stuff... that compounds the issues.

Go... and enjoy a very different and still great experience. Savor the good memories it will invariably bring up. Remember that you gave your kids the gift of those fun times together,...... those do not go away for any of you. And also remember that they likely have long lives ahead of them, and will likely enjoy Disney off and on long after you are no longer going yourselves. And they will be happy that you are enjoying yourselves as a couple.

best,

.............john

Well said, John, and all true!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote