home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 11-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #11
mustinjourney
Grand Villa
 
mustinjourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayhollywood View Post
I thought I'd be observing bad behavior, didn't know I'd be a participant. If you're here now, it's crowded, like, crazy crowded. People are not in magical moods.

Epcot: On our way to Soarin', we had to park the stroller between there and Nemo. Walking back towards Soarin', we're behind a mother holding a 1.5 yo. My 3 yo was behind the mom when mom did an about face and stumbled over my 3 yo. This lady had 2 ft and 200 lbs on my daughter, and made huffy sounds like it was my 3 yo fault for not reading mom's mind that she was about to do a u-turn. Not an I'm Sorry or Are You Okay or anything and she kept walking. So I pick up my now crying 3 yo and yell at the lady's back that it would be nice to at least get an I'm Sorry. I wanted to unleash the expletives on the tip of my tongue, but the yelling was probably enough bad behavior in response to her bad behavior. I wanted to wait for the lady and really let her have it but cooler heads prevailed.

BCV: two brothers in SAB, maybe 11 & 8, playing rough. Big bro picks on his little bro and holds him under water. I went to say something but then he lets little bro up. Little bro has hand marks on his neck and shoulders. They then team up to splash other kids w/buckets. Okay if other kids are splashing back & are willing participants but most aren't. Then they pick on some kid who was up on the sand pile near the lifeguard just minding his own business. He was wearing his glasses so he looked like he had no intention of getting wet. A mom nearby tells them to leave him alone. They turn their buckets on that mom. Yes really. She raises her voice but they clearly don't care. Then they move on and proceed to throw sand at each other and are really winging it at each other's faces. Then they start throwing sand at other little kids. The lifeguard said nothing. But seriously, where was their mom or dad or other "responsible" grown up??? Every single other child was well behaved or had a parent in there w/them. These two bullies (or one bully + one in the making) were seemingly on their own.

About to start Day 4 of our "magical" vacation...can't wait to see what the next 4 days bring
I'm not even sure what I would have done had someone ran over my kid like that. I've had to do my fair share of dodging people in the parks -- but have yet to have anyone actually run into me.

Of course, if someone did bump into me, they'd likely be the one falling on their ass since I'm more or less built like a defensive tackle.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #12
mndl
One Bedroom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new jersey
Posts: 271
Default

We used to always go during Jersey week when my kids were younger but didn't go last year or this year because of school and sport commitments. I remember thinking the last two times we were there that it was miserably crowded and rather stressful, especially Epcot at night I'm kinda glad to know it hasn't improved because I was feeling a bit sad we weren't able to go this year..
mndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #13
Beth33
Studio
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayhollywood View Post
...BCV: two brothers in SAB, maybe 11 & 8, playing rough... They then team up to splash other kids w/buckets. Okay if other kids are splashing back & are willing participants but most aren't. Then they pick on some kid who was up on the sand pile near the lifeguard just minding his own business. He was wearing his glasses so he looked like he had no intention of getting wet. A mom nearby tells them to leave him alone. They turn their buckets on that mom. Yes really. She raises her voice but they clearly don't care. Then they move on and proceed to throw sand at each other and are really winging it at each other's faces. Then they start throwing sand at other little kids...
What terrible behavior. Is there a point where it is okay to parent someone else's kids? If so, how far is too far? Personally, once a kid lashes out at my kid, I feel okay telling them that's not acceptable and they need to stop. I wouldn't feel okay taking away a bucket or holding a kid's wrist to stop sand throwing, and it sounds like that might be what it would take to get these kids to stop. Not sure what the right thing to do would be.

Is it appropriate to bring aggressive kids to the attention of the CMs? Perhaps not the lifeguards; I don't know how much they're supposed to take their attention away from water safety. Kids shouldn't get away with behavior that would get an adult thrown out. I'm not saying that the kids should be thrown out, but they shouldn't get a total free pass just because they're kids.

Last edited by Beth33; 11-06-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Edited to fix a spelling error
Beth33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #14
mark0157
One Bedroom
 
mark0157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Minny
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth33 View Post
What terrible behavior. Is there a point where it is okay to parent someone else's kids? If so, how far is too far? Personally, once a kid lashes out at my kid, I feel okay telling them that's not acceptable and they need to stop. I wouldn't feel okay taking away a bucket or holding a kid's wrist to stop sand throwing, and it sounds like that might be what it would take to get these kids to stop. Not sure what the right thing to do would be.

Is it appropriate to bring aggressive kids to the attention of the CMs? Perhaps not the lifeguards; I don't know how much they're supposed to take their attention away from water safety. Kids shouldn't get away with behavior that would get an adult thrown out. I'm not saying that the kids should be thrown out, but they shouldn't get a total free pass just because they're kids.
Oh yes! I will say something politely - once - to other kids and if they keep it up I will get very assertive...especially if they are bullying others. I have zero tolerance for bullies. I've never had to physically get involved...but I have scared the crap outta kids who were misbehaving at a playground. Must be that crazy lady look in my eyes
mark0157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:15 PM   #15
mustinjourney
Grand Villa
 
mustinjourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth33 View Post
What terrible behavior. Is there a point where it is okay to parent someone else's kids? If so, how far is too far? Personally, once a kid lashes out at my kid, I feel okay telling them that's not acceptable and they need to stop. I wouldn't feel okay taking away a bucket or holding a kid's wrist to stop sand throwing, and it sounds like that might be what it would take to get these kids to stop. Not sure what the right thing to do would be.

Is it appropriate to bring aggressive kids to the attention of the CMs? Perhaps not the lifeguards; I don't know how much they're supposed to take their attention away from water safety. Kids shouldn't get away with behavior that would get an adult thrown out. I'm not saying that the kids should be thrown out, but they shouldn't get a total free pass just because they're kids.
Certainly a touchy situation -- and there aren't any "right" answers. In my view -- if the two kids are just beating on each other -- I wouldn't say a word.

Once they start messing with MY kid -- then I'd step in and say something. If it continued, I'd flag a lifeguard and tell them they better do something or it's about to get ugly.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #16
Kayhollywood
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Kayhollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
Welcome to Jersey Week! FYI, not all of us are that rude.

Hope your days get better!
Ugh to Jersey Week. And I know you're not all that rude! My mom's from Jersey so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikayla73 View Post
I hope your trip gets better and there are less rude people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Song View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the remaining part of the trip get better.
Thanks. Hopefully AK tomorrow will have more pleasant ppl...
Kayhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #17
Kayhollywood
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Kayhollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
We just left yesterday. It was a madhouse over the weekend, we were so happy to be leaving. We also noticed lots of rude, inconsiderate people.

We had to ask to change tables while dining at Sana’a over the weekend. Multiple screaming, loudly singing, running unsupervised around the restaurant children. While the “adults” drank and totally ignored them.

Our housekeeper at the dolphin told us a lady was so rude and mean to her earlier in the day that she made her cry. We made sure to make her feel totally appreciated.

Just way too many people there with the races and Jersey week. We vowed to never return at this time of the year again.
Earlier in the week, I was reconsidering my decision not to return til 2020 but now feel that might be too soon. I don't recall disliking people so much in my life. I agree w/not returning at this time of year. Never again for me.
Kayhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 PM   #18
Kayhollywood
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Kayhollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybean315 View Post
I really hope your trip gets better! And kudos to you for keeping yourself in check when that woman plowed into your 3yo! It really stinks when the rudeness of others put a negative tone on what should be a magical one. Hopefully, a little pixie dust will come your way!
Fingers x'd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhlaptop View Post
I am sorry to hear it has been so bad. We are feeling as a family that we are seeing these type of bad behaviors more and more many places.
It's an epidemic here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Many people just suck.

Hope your experience with others improves over the remainder of your trip.
Here's hoping!
Kayhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:14 AM   #19
Kayhollywood
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)
 
Kayhollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Delaware
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
I'm not even sure what I would have done had someone ran over my kid like that. I've had to do my fair share of dodging people in the parks -- but have yet to have anyone actually run into me.

Of course, if someone did bump into me, they'd likely be the one falling on their ass since I'm more or less built like a defensive tackle.
Remind me not to bump into you lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndl View Post
We used to always go during Jersey week when my kids were younger but didn't go last year or this year because of school and sport commitments. I remember thinking the last two times we were there that it was miserably crowded and rather stressful, especially Epcot at night I'm kinda glad to know it hasn't improved because I was feeling a bit sad we weren't able to go this year..
Don't feel sad for even a nanosecond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth33 View Post
What terrible behavior. Is there a point where it is okay to parent someone else's kids? If so, how far is too far? Personally, once a kid lashes out at my kid, I feel okay telling them that's not acceptable and they need to stop. I wouldn't feel okay taking away a bucket or holding a kid's wrist to stop sand throwing, and it sounds like that might be what it would take to get these kids to stop. Not sure what the right thing to do would be.

Is it appropriate to bring aggressive kids to the attention of the CMs? Perhaps not the lifeguards; I don't know how much they're supposed to take their attention away from water safety. Kids shouldn't get away with behavior that would get an adult thrown out. I'm not saying that the kids should be thrown out, but they shouldn't get a total free pass just because they're kids...
I really just wanted to stand up and yell "who do these kids belong to? Anyone...anyone?" But trust me when I say that I'm sure this behavior couldn't be shocking to their grown up(s). They did not seem fazed by adult intervention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0157 View Post
Oh yes! I will say something politely - once - to other kids and if they keep it up I will get very assertive...especially if they are bullying others. I have zero tolerance for bullies. I've never had to physically get involved...but I have scared the crap outta kids who were misbehaving at a playground. Must be that crazy lady look in my eyes
Hahaha, I don't like to get all "mom-ish" but I'm the same w/bullies. I didn't intervene bc it wasn't directed at my kid but I would've handled it quickly if my kid was targeted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
Certainly a touchy situation -- and there aren't any "right" answers. In my view -- if the two kids are just beating on each other -- I wouldn't say a word.

Once they start messing with MY kid -- then I'd step in and say something. If it continued, I'd flag a lifeguard and tell them they better do something or it's about to get ugly.
I'm the same, I try to say not my kid, not my problem. I haven't encountered any kids (til now) that didnt respect what a grown up said. I would not be alive if a grown up told me to knock it off and I threw water and sand on her. My parents would've killed me!
Kayhollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #20
grayandry
Grand Villa
 
grayandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,933
Default

Well, no matter what...here’s to a GREAT rest of your trip!!
grayandry is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software