home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #11
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking oh my

Bakerworld,

Oh my - family... no good deed goes unpunished.....

LoL

please keep us updated when he asks for the card again for the next trip

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
Moxie
Two Bedroom

You have the patience of a saint. I would have had some words.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
Buzz Lightyear Towers
Grand Villa

In-laws.
Hoo-boy!!!!

AKV, BLT, BWV, and PVB are my home resorts. :
Buzz Lightyear Towers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Well, hindsight is 20/20. I think it is nice you loaned him your card, but you might consider ground rules if you ever do it again.

Still, overall, it did reward the rest of us a good story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
BIL's SO wanted to stay in a hotel with a balcony and CRO, with every discount he could find, was too much so he asked if he could use our points. Fine. Placed him in BLT and told him to try out the TOWL. He asked for an DVC card so I gave him an old one. Told him to just try and get up using his bands - after all they'll show him staying in BLT on points.

Second day of his vacation he uses the old card to get into the Epcot DVC lounge. He calls DH to say he's been grilled because I gave him an old card. Dan sends him a cell picture of his current DVC card.

Fourth day of his vacation BIL uses the cell picture to get a discount on a souvenir purchase. After the clerk asks him for photo ID, which he tells her he left back at the room, he then gives his credit card!!! Hello Hello is anyone home ??!!?? Once again he calls DH to 'crow' over getting the discount even using his own credit card but complains about all the questions.

At this point we're just looking at each other in complete mystification over what he is doing. Meanwhile, he hasn't visited the TOWL lounge even once. Finally on the last night he's there he sneaks - yes, sneaks!! up the back stairs because he's afraid to even try legally after the last two fiascoes.

Never even occurred to us he'd try and use the card for anything except the TOWL. And I think that's about the last time for that.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #15
Disneynut4sure
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
BIL's SO wanted to stay in a hotel with a balcony and CRO, with every discount he could find, was too much so he asked if he could use our points. Fine. Placed him in BLT and told him to try out the TOWL. He asked for an DVC card so I gave him an old one. Told him to just try and get up using his bands - after all they'll show him staying in BLT on points.

Second day of his vacation he uses the old card to get into the Epcot DVC lounge. He calls DH to say he's been grilled because I gave him an old card. Dan sends him a cell picture of his current DVC card.

Fourth day of his vacation BIL uses the cell picture to get a discount on a souvenir purchase. After the clerk asks him for photo ID, which he tells her he left back at the room, he then gives his credit card!!! Hello Hello is anyone home ??!!?? Once again he calls DH to 'crow' over getting the discount even using his own credit card but complains about all the questions.

At this point we're just looking at each other in complete mystification over what he is doing. Meanwhile, he hasn't visited the TOWL lounge even once. Finally on the last night he's there he sneaks - yes, sneaks!! up the back stairs because he's afraid to even try legally after the last two fiascoes.

Never even occurred to us he'd try and use the card for anything except the TOWL. And I think that's about the last time for that.
Lol that is such a great story how can you get mad at him.? It's too funny

Disneynut4sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #16
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

Was at DL resort recently and they were very picky about showing both the card and id. One of my friends brought her granddaughter for first trip and ended up spending a considerable amount on character dining and all the trappings of a princesses first visit. I had them put on my room and she paid me back. She then got the 10% which by the end of the trip was a considerable savings for her. Cast members were quite fine with that even though she had her own room. The 4K she spent was a nice profit for Disney. They more than made up for the discounts. I think they're guarding the, "misuses" of the card more for prestige and perceived value for the card holders. Granted this scenario was different because I was with her but at WDW if we're eating at Sanna the server will typically ask if we're dvc members and give us a discount without asking to see the card.
littlelulu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:26 PM   #17
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Sorry to hear that.

We have (between us) 5 brothers and their various families. None of them would ever do anything like this. Just not the type.

We have more distant relatives who we don't know as well, who might. They will never be going to WDW with us.

Cheers.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #18
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

In my recent experiences, CMs ask for photo ID along with DVC membership card for Member Lounge at Epcot, TOWL, dining and shopping. We have been at TOWL enough during our vacations for Don and Sue to know who we are (after reintroductions on the first visit during each vacation), but we wouldn't take offense to being asked for a photo ID each and every time.

My wonder is how many other people "share" their DVC cards, and what CMs are supposed to do when they notice this (like OP's BIL paying with a credit card that doesn't match DVC card).
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #19
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post
I

My wonder is how many other people "share" their DVC cards, and what CMs are supposed to do when they notice this (like OP's BIL paying with a credit card that doesn't match DVC card).
IMO, it's pretty clear that they should not let the person use the perk (lounge access, discount) as this is an abuse of the system that has, in the case of the lounge access, a detrimental impact on members not abusing the system. Even the giving of the card to the BIL in the first place is an abuse of the system. But people will do it anyway.

Cheers.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #20
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
IMO, it's pretty clear that they should not let the person use the perk (lounge access, discount) as this is an abuse of the system that has, in the case of the lounge access, a detrimental impact on members not abusing the system. Even the giving of the card to the BIL in the first place is an abuse of the system. But people will do it anyway.

Cheers.
I would think this as well, which is why I wouldn't let anyone else use my card.

The scenario of misuse puts the CM in a predicament between ethics and the perception of customer service. I can only imagine someone pitching a fit that they aren't getting the (borrowed) perk that they think they are entitled to, and the CM being looked at by bystanders as if the CM was the problem. Would a CM following Disney policy to the "T" be expected to confiscate it, and if so, how awkward would that be?
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote