home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #21
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
And here is a livestream from this morning that is really long, and I loved every minute of it from ResortTV1. I cannot wait to ride this.

Hope the link works. The video is so clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BKRg-5kZqE
Thanks! It looked like a lot of fun! Those crowds at WDW now though!
Old 09-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #22
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Agree 100% with that unknown variable about being locked in a cage with a stranger in daylight or the night. They probably allow a “ party” of one to travel. Because of the recent creepy things occurring on airplanes lately in the news.
Thanks for pointing that stranger danger alert. I hadn’t really thought about that.
Honestly not certain about my own panic reaction yet about being up there . But I am excited about traveling in the sky
Guess I would prefer to be stuck in a cage with a handful of crazies on the Skyliner than quite a few more crazies on the monorail, if it were stuck.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #23
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
Guess I would prefer to be stuck in a cage with a handful of crazies on the Skyliner than quite a few more crazies on the monorail, if it were stuck.
As a family of 5, I'm guessing we'd often get our own. That, alone, is a HUGE plus to the system!

I'm really interested to see how this plays out for waits, crowds, downtime, etc... The reliability factor (weather, not mechanics) is what I find to be most intriguing. Right now, only running a few routes, the alternative transportation needed in the case of closure could be reasonably managed. The frequency of that need, however, could have a major impact on the viability of a substantial expansion of this mode in the future.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #24
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

Has there been Orlando style afternoon thunderstorm yet?

These things look interesting, even fun. But I'm very curious in seeing if they -- like the pools and many of the outdoor rides -- close whenever there is lightening or significant rain in the area.
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #25
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbahamadada View Post
Has there been Orlando style afternoon thunderstorm yet?

These things look interesting, even fun. But I'm very curious in seeing if they -- like the pools and many of the outdoor rides -- close whenever there is lightening or significant rain in the area.
They’ll close for lightening. I’ve heard they’ll run similarly to the boats.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #26
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
They’ll close for lightening. I’ve heard they’ll run similarly to the boats.
I didn't even realize the boats closed! I've been in the boats during some nasty rainstorms, when the pools/rides were closed.

If that's the operational bar, my concerns about the Skyliner being regularly unavailable would be misplaced.
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #27
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbahamadada View Post
I didn't even realize the boats closed! I've been in the boats during some nasty rainstorms, when the pools/rides were closed.

If that's the operational bar, my concerns about the Skyliner being regularly unavailable would be misplaced.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think they shut down boats and gondolas if the lightening is within 5 miles. I haven’t seen the threshold for wind. They’ll run buses in the event there is high wind and/or lightening like they do with the boats though. Rain doesn’t stop them, but wind and lightening do.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #28
sawickipedia
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think they shut down boats and gondolas if the lightening is within 5 miles. I haven’t seen the threshold for wind. They’ll run buses in the event there is high wind and/or lightening like they do with the boats though. Rain doesn’t stop them, but wind and lightening do.
Correct & to quote:

Quote:
Safety

While discussing weather conditions, Ocock also went on to talk about more extreme weather conditions Central Florida is known to face throughout the year. Specifically–severe thunder and lightning storms. Visitors to Orlando, Florida are quite familiar with the intense lightning and rain that can come from these weather conditions. But fear not, as Ocock says Disney is more than prepared.

“It is designed for Florida weather, with an abundance of safety. While they have lightning detection systems on the actual Skyliner cabins, we will be monitoring weather just like we do for any attraction or any of our other transportation modes. So when we do have to pause for an afternoon thunderstorm with lightning nearby, just like we would with any mode, guests will utilize another form of transportation until the storm moves through and we can start back up, including busses,” said Ocock.
source: https://insidethemagic.net/2019/09/s...ndola-preview/
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote