home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Photography and Technology
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-26-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
MMC1
Grand Villa

Default Uber for 911/ sirengps.com

This is new technology that could save your life. Currently uber can locate you faster than the 911 call you make for an emergency.
Users who download the app are asked to provide information such as name and medical history, emergency contact and a photo. The service also has a silent notification system in cases of kidnapping or unable to speak. It also uses a trackable cell phone call with the internet to create a parallel tracking system which records the call even when service is down. The info is only shared with first responders that are also equipped with SirenGPS Service. It works anywhere in the world as you travel.
The site has a 4 minute video to explain their service. I hope your community will have this available soon. Please take the time to consider this for the future and your safety.
My small town just started using this technology.

Last edited by MMC1; 01-26-2017 at 06:10 PM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
MMC1
Grand Villa

Important please read
Old 01-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
eileenkeeney
Passing the time on a more satisfying site

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
This is new technology that could save your life. Currently uber can locate you faster than the 911 call you make for an emergency.
Users who download the app are asked to provide information such as name and medical history, emergency contact and a photo. The service also has a silent notification system in cases of kidnapping or unable to speak. It also uses a trackable cell phone call with the internet to create a parallel tracking system which records the call even when service is down. The info is only shared with first responders that are also equipped with SirenGPS Service. It works anywhere in the world as you travel.
The site has a 4 minute video to explain their service. I hope your community will have this available soon. Please take the time to consider this for the future and your safety.
My small town just started using this technology.
This sounds pretty invasive.
How do we really know who the information is shared with?
eileenkeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
MMC1
Grand Villa

The online video and guide is very informative and explains better than I can.
I have the same reservations and was hoping for some discussion.
Basically they only use this info with first responders that also have this technology. If you think about it the basics that they are trying to figure out when you are possibly unconscious...Name ,photo, basic med info, emergency contact (relative). It gives them a first step immediately which could be vital especially as the ambulance first responders want to save your life.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
MMC1
Grand Villa

Default UPDATED: Next Generation 911

This is Next Generation 911 / RapidSOS.COM For those emergency situations such as hurricanes, abduction, etc....
Haven is RapidSOS' mobile safety and security app. Nationwide and works with every E911 and NG911 PSAP allows digital info (voice photos videos text to flow seamlessly fro the public through 911 network and emergency responders. Also available for family members and your smart watch.

PSAP is the public safety access point or call center dispatch.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
This sounds pretty invasive.
How do we really know who the information is shared with?
It is invasive, no question about it. But the more information one is willing to provide, the faster is the access. It's definitely a privacy/safety tradeoff that we all have to make.

Given the ethics of Uber as a company, though, I'm not sure they're the ones I'd trust with this information.

Cheers.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:53 AM   #7
MMC1
Grand Villa

It is not Uber... but they can access you faster than your local emergency system in reality which is pretty scary if you are involved in an emergency. This is an App that can be loaded onto smart phones and your Apple watch and has capability to protect you without actually speaking with just one touch. For instance if you are abducted and can't actually speak into your phone.
The only information you are providing is emergency contact/ in case you are unconscious.
And it seems pretty useless to be concerned when Equifax has delivered all your personal information to the whole big wide dark world.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
It is not Uber... but they can access you faster than your local emergency system in reality which is pretty scary if you are involved in an emergency. This is an App that can be loaded onto smart phones and your Apple watch and has capability to protect you without actually speaking with just one touch. For instance if you are abducted and can't actually speak into your phone.
The only information you are providing is emergency contact/ in case you are unconscious.
And it seems pretty useless to be concerned when Equifax has delivered all your personal information to the whole big wide dark world.
If it is not Uber, I'd want to know who is behind this App and who has my information. I have a choice in this.

With Equifax, I had no choice, so that's irrelevant to the discussion.

Identity theft is a probabilistic thing. Any one breach won't necessarily result in anything. The more people that have ones information the higher the chance.

When I have a choice I like to use it and understand before I give access to the information.

Cheers.