home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #211
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
The Westerdam passengers have spread around the world. That is not good.

This virus seems to be transmitted very easily. Much more so that SARS. More like the flu. I have also read that they expect it to resurface every winter from now on, just like the flu. Unfortunately, it has a much higher mortality rate than the flu.

The CDC seems to be saying that it is not a matter of if it will spread here, but how soon. All these quarantine measures are to buy time to develop a cure or a vaccine.
There has not been confirmation it will be seasonal. It's a stupid news speculation. My friends have been ripping apart news sources. Death rate is very estimated still since they were not doing clinical diagnosis at first. Many say it's under 1% when done right.

Straight from CDC

"CDC Recommends
While the immediate risk of this new virus to the American public is believed to be low at this time, everyone can do their part to help us respond to this emerging public health threat:

It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine, taking everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed."

The flu is still more alarming this year with a double barrelled season being much worse than last year's. Not to do a whataboutism but if CDC is more worried about that for the US I listen. News sources like NYT I block now. Remember SARS and this are both coronavirus strands.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #212
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
Based on what has been reported, This Is not surprising as crew members are in close proximity to each other, eat communally with no masks and perhaps unintentionally infecting people. Then again perhaps itís the water or air filtration system, or a shoe that is moving the virus around and sharing. Could it be a dirty rag that keeps getting used? You have to wonder how the ďcontainmentĒ can be so bad that the number of infected keeps increasing.

I wonder if they are going to allow people off that boat tomorrow....
If they let people off that boat without an additional quarantine, I will be surprised. Something on that boat is generating new cases.

The Japanese have an Olympics scheduled in a few months. They donít want people from the boat wandering around infecting people. Since the Americans who refused to be evacuated cannot return to the US for 2 weeks, where will they go? I donít think that the Japanese want them.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #213
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
There has not been confirmation it will be seasonal. It's a stupid news speculation. My friends have been ripping apart news sources. Death rate is very estimated still since they were not doing clinical diagnosis at first. Many say it's under 1% when done right.

Straight from CDC

"CDC Recommends
While the immediate risk of this new virus to the American public is believed to be low at this time, everyone can do their part to help us respond to this emerging public health threat:

Itís currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting a flu vaccine, taking everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed."

The flu is still more alarming this year with a double barrelled season being much worse than last year's. Not to do a whataboutism but if CDC is more worried about that for the US I listen. News sources like NYT I block now. Remember SARS and this are both coronavirus strands.
#1 Get a flu shot. If you have some lame excuse for not getting a flu shot (i.e. they always pick the wrong one; they're not that effective; etc...), that effectively makes you an anti-vaxxer. If you then say you're not an anti-vaxxer, then get a flu shot.
#2 The flu is much more of a concern than COVID-19.... if you live in the US, so long as you haven't been exposed to COVID-19.
#3 COVID-19 doesn't appear to be something to completely ignore. The mortality *seems* to be at a significant level of 2-3%, and certainly much higher than influenza which is well under 1%.
#4 COVID-19 is still nothing to panic about unless you happen to be in a high risk area. If I was recently travelling to China, I would be more concerned than with a planned trip to WDW or elsewhere.
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #214
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Based on recent updates on the Disneyland Hong Kong website where they now stating that dated tickets with expiration after April 1, 2020 will retain their expiration date, it appears they expect to re-open by April 1.

My flight to Hong Kong for April 4th is still on so at this point, it appears that we are still going.
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #215
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
Based on recent updates on the Disneyland Hong Kong website where they now stating that dated tickets with expiration after April 1, 2020 will retain their expiration date, it appears they expect to re-open by April 1.

My flight to Hong Kong for April 4th is still on so at this point, it appears that we are still going.
I've been thinking about you and your trip. Nice to hear that things are still on for you!
Old Today, 05:47 AM   #216
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:

I would have expected Disney to extend the passes for the number of days the park was closed. It only seems fair.

China is starting to reopen things. I am sure that the Chinese people would like to see things get back to normal. April seems like a little soon, though, to reopen a public gathering space. I hope that I am wrong, for your sake.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:03 AM   #217
MMC1
Grand Villa

Quote:

Please keep us updated with safe arrival and a few photos.
I am thinking you could be fortunate with light crowds or crazy pent up demand for Disney by locals.
Hereís hoping you have a fantastically fortunately fun trip!
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #218
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:

Fingers crossed.....I hope the virus peters out and you will be safe to travel with "less" worries.