home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #21
Jotunheim
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlPrincess View Post

I loved the villas at Grand Floridian but thatís not available anymore
We want to do it thru Disney and not resale.
You can still get VGF direct if you are willing to go on a short wait list. I had to wait about 10 days to get 65 points and I just closed on these points. However, there will be no promotions on that resort and it is about $10/pt. higher in initial cost than Poly or CCV.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #22
DVCjj
Two Bedroom

I vote for the Poly. Disclaimer: I own there and have gone there for many many years.

Love the large studios, 2 showers, really short walk to TTC to grab a monorail to either MK or EP (which then gets you out the back door to HS via boat or walk). Also heard Poly rents very quickly if you end up with leftover points (ya right).

Larger party? Two adjoining studios or use pullout and murphy bed.
DVCjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #23
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
For the OP, if you want VGF ask about it.
I say buy where you would want to stay the most.
. Several people have successfully bought at the sold out resorts recently. Keep asking until you find someone who says "yes."
Old 10-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #24
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

I know you said direct only -- but if you're traveling in January, then as long as it's not marathon weekend, your home resort does not really matter at this point. So buying CCV, VGF or Poly is kind of pointless for that time of the year.

An SSR resale would cost you about 50% of a direct purchase at CCV. For 180 points, you're looking at a difference of $16,000.

Using your DVC points outside of the DVC system is very expensive, so using that DVC perk is quite costly. You're much better off renting your points, taking that cash, and then paying cash for whatever vacation you want. If you want to cruise on DCL, David's rentals will handle both the rental and the cruise for you all at once.

Based on your proposed time of year to travel and expected usage of the points, I would highly recommend you strongly consider the resale market. You're literally talking about a $16000 savings. And if you just want access to member's discounts, you can always buy 150 resale (SSR) and then another 40 points direct (any resort).
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #25
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
. Several people have successfully bought at the sold out resorts recently. Keep asking until you find someone who says "yes."
My guide was even good with looking if I wanted outside of PVB. I just decided I didn't want to. I definitely am glad I own at PVB because it will just get harder to book when sold out and we want two rooms when we stay there. VGF is one I'd buy if that's where I want to stay as well.

Hard to guess on CCVC, but with the cabins and insane GV points it might be harder for studios as well in the future.

I know there are many who say buy cheap like SSR or OKW, but I don't see the point in buying where you never want to stay. I think that's part of why it gets harder to book at 7 months. People don't want to just randomly try a new place, they just don't ever want their home.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #26
LR0929
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
My guide was even good with looking if I wanted outside of PVB. I just decided I didn't want to. I definitely am glad I own at PVB because it will just get harder to book when sold out and we want two rooms when we stay there. VGF is one I'd buy if that's where I want to stay as well.

Hard to guess on CCVC, but with the cabins and insane GV points it might be harder for studios as well in the future.

I know there are many who say buy cheap like SSR or OKW, but I don't see the point in buying where you never want to stay. I think that's part of why it gets harder to book at 7 months. People don't want to just randomly try a new place, they just don't ever want their home.
We bought at Poly (direct) first, because that is where we wanted to stay. Then we bought at Aulani (resale), because we want to be able to book in the 7-11 month window every couple of years. Then we bought at SSR (resale) for our random, last minute trips. We have no intention of staying at SSR, but it was cheaper than other resales and works perfectly for our situation.
LR0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #27
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Answers:
Answer #1
We are 5 adults. Sometime we vacation together and sometimes we are only two adults.
1 or 2 bedrooms or a studio or two studios

Answer #2
175 or 190 points

Answer #3
Maybe once a year or once every two years
We like to visit other areas of the world

Answer#4n
Flexibility to use points in other places other than Disney (we are world travelers)
Speed of process and getting extra perks
Re:#4
Resale points can be used for RCI which is the trade program you would use for any world travel so that is not a reason to buy direct.

DVC is best used for DVC stays so I'd recommend buying only the points you'd use for DVC stays only and some more economical trader for other travel. But still, it sounds like resale will cover most that you want anyway. You can do a small 25 point add on for whatever perks but if your only going every other year I'm think APs are not part of that and for the most part they are the only thing that tends to make up the additional cost.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #28
stlrod
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I just split a contract between CCV and poly when I couldn't decide--most points went to CCV.
stlrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #29
LR0929
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrod View Post
I just split a contract between CCV and poly when I couldn't decide--most points went to CCV.
I like this mentality.. when in doubt, buy both!
LR0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #30
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Answers:
Answer #1
We are 5 adults. Sometime we vacation together and sometimes we are only two adults.
1 or 2 bedrooms or a studio or two studios
As five adults (assuming some couples in the group?) I would think that you lean in the direction of privacy and more bathrooms and stick potentially with booking studios or 2 bdrms.

Here is a chart that a fellow MO put together that shows all the room sizes, bathrooms and sqft for each room in the network. This might be of help to you as you are deciding on which resort to make your home resort.

DVC Rooms - Charts w/Detailed Room Information

Poly does have the largest DVC studios in the network. If you like the vibe of that location, it might be a great choice for you. It also offers connecting studios (but, connecting rooms are not guaranteed. It is only a request that may or may not be filled). I is also on the monorail, and close to the TTC, and that has a lot of appeal for many. I also think that Poly has a higher rental demand if you are ever in need of not using your points and looking to rent.

Copper Creek also has some unique features and a completely different vibe from Poly. They also offer studios, 1 & 2 bdrms, GV & Cabins. So lots of room options at Copper Creek which could be a plus for your travel habits and companions.

Aulani, for now, seems pretty easy to book in January as long as you aren't looking for the least expensive room category. I don't think you need the 11 month owner window for dates when you might like to travel to Aulaini. But, if you want to travel over Christmas or NYE you might like having the 11 month booking window. However, it is a far location from where you live, so I don't know if owning in Hawai'i works for not for you as a home resort.

Quote:
Answer #2
175 or 190 points

Answer #3
Maybe once a year or once every two years
We like to visit other areas of the world
That can definitely give you flexibility for room sizes with banking, current UY and borrowing.

Quote:
Answer#4
Flexibility to use points in other places other than Disney (we are world travelers)
Speed of process and getting extra perks
One thing about using your DVC points in other places is you will find that it is usually a "bad" trade. The value of being able to rent your DVC points and take that cash from the rental and turn around and use it on a different vacation is a much better use of your DVC points than to trade them in on a DCL cruise for example. In dollars and cents let's say that you had 150 points and you were able to rent those points for $16pp. 16 x 150 = $2,400. DVC is always at its best value when you use it in the DVC network. Now I will say that I have traded my DVC points for a DCL cruise because it was easy, and some people do that, but really I knew going in that it wasn't the best way to go about taking the cruise.

As for speed of getting it closed and done - direct is super easy and fast. No denying that! But, the other thing to keep in mind is that I think the average time that most people keep their timeshare is somewhere between 7 - 10 years. I have owned since 2006 and I'm seriously thinking of selling my DVC membership because my life has changed and we aren't using our membership the way we used to. So, consider that too, what seems like a good fit now might not be a good fit in the not too distant future. And if you do buy resale you will save a lot of money over buying direct.

As others have already said, you can add a small 25 point contract direct to get the perks. And if you have the same UY you can easy use all of your points at the 7 or 11 month mark.

Good luck with your decision. My DH and I are very happy we bought our DVC. No regrets. I hope you love it as much as we do.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 10-17-2017 at 04:56 PM.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote