home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #51
broganmc
Grand Villa

Good morning all!

It's Sunday and I'm listing to Mormon Tabernacle's Music and the spoken Word on the radio. It was something I got my dad into years ago. Every Sunday at 11:30am ET (9:30am MT) they stream the service of choir & organ music with a short homily over the internet (BYU radio on Tune-In, Mromon Tabernacle's YouTube channel). We're both Catholic so we'd usually listen to the service then go off to our own church for Mass. Even if we couldn't get to Mass (because it was too cold, or we felt sick or sore, or we just didn't get moving fast enough) we would at least listen to the Mormons. Dad loved choir music and he adored organs. His older brother composes for and plays organs as his retirement profession/hobby.

I admit this is when I miss my dad the most. Sundays were our thing. When we were at the beach in the summer, we'd get up for early morning mass and then go out for breakfast at some quaint beachside diner. There's one in Ocean City (Coach's Corner, I think) that has hats from everywhere lining the walls. Another in the Courtyard on the Boardwalk (Captain's Table) was in the original little motel on the site before Marriott bought and rebuilt the property. It has the most fantastic fruit cup you've ever seen. It's a giant bowl of fruit, freshly cut and carved into a little masterpiece complete with a playful banana dolphin holding a blueberry ball in it's mouth.

Here at Disney's Saratoga, we would go over to Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine for mass (if we had a car), or listen to the Mormons and go out for a long walk thru the resort's many walkways. I'm infamous for describing the tranquil nature walkways at this resort.

So today I'm waking up missing Dad more than anything. My nephew and his girlfriend just headed off to EPCOT. I'm supposed to meet them and go on some FutureWorld rides. They're having a great time. I want that, I really do.

Last night, after I got my room settled and straightened out. (Had to wait for Maintenance to fix the door.) I went back to Magic Kingdom. It was my aunt's last night in Disney. I wanted to see Miranda enjoy the world one last time this trip. That meant getting to the wheelchair viewing spot in front of the Castle to see those projections for the fireworks. Miranda had seen the fireworks every night this week but always from behind or the room, never where she could actually see the Castle sing.

I'm glad I went too. They had plans of heading to the spot at 8pm, right after dinner at the Castle, but it took them an extra 30 minutes to get seated. My aunt needed a wheelchair accessible table and those are hard to come by. They started the day with breakfast and Cindy's and ended it with dinner. Big day for a little princess. As it is, by 8:30pm they were just ordering dessert to go. So they sent Miranda and her daddy to me.

I boded my time talking to a young mom (Megan) of three boys, ages 4, 8 and 11. They hadn't been to Disney in 5 years. Today they're headed to Hollywood Studios so I was giving Megan some advice on what to do outside her FastPasses. Things like: skip the Beauty and the Beast and go for Indiana Jones instead. Where to find StarLord and Baby Groot. Best places to see the Star Wars fireworks. I like doing that kind of stuff. Being chatty and helpful to strangers.

The other day when I was hanging out near Gaston's, my brother and I chatted up one of the young Custodial CMs. Vickey is her name. Nice young girl from the midwest. She came for the College Program a couple years ago and never left. Now she's full time and told us all about what her job is really like and her plans for the summer. She's taking on extra hours because she's going to Cuba and Europe this summer. Then it's back to school at UCF to get her Civil Engineering degree.

I think that's one of the reasons I love come down here to Orlando. You get so many travelers and transplants here there are tons of interesting stories to here and people to meet. If you're on your own, or you've done everything a thousand times over and find yourself feeling bored, strike up a conversation with a stranger. Most people are in good moods here, but even if they aren't, that conversation may be the magical thing you both experience that day.

Ok where was I? Oh yes, the fireworks. First off remember that the 9 o'clock fireworks actually begin at 8:55pm. For Miranda and her daddy, that meant a mad crazy dash from the back of Cinderella's (where the fairy godmothers in the lobby said "Tinkerbelle, you're supposed to be upstairs for the show!") through Tomorrowland to my wheelchair spot. He had no GPS but he had a general idea where I was. My sparkling blue & pink fairy lights worked like a beacon to him. So little Miranda, dressed up as the cutest Tinkerbelle with sparkling green fairy wings, made it just in time for a front row view. The music began just as they sat on the wall beside me.

Miranda loved the show so much she couldn't stop dancing. I worried she might dance herself right off the wall into my lap. But then she cuddled up with her daddy and squealed with delight when the real Tinkerbelle flew right over her head. She got to see all her princess and prince heroes. She knew all the music. (Disney branding succeeds again.) She wasn't too keen on the villains showing up. (Ursula scares her the most.) But she had her daddy to keep her safe.

I took video and pictures as best I could. I was on my third phone battery and still had a couple hours to go. My cousins just got to enjoy the show. And that is what made me happy.

The night before I could have stayed in my Bay Lake room and have a perfect and quiet view to film all the fireworks without interruption. Would have worked great for the blog or as a background for my Christmas train garden, but I would not be able to watch fireworks with 4 yr old Miranda in her room again. So I opted to go upstairs and join them. Miranda danced through the fireworks then too.

And after fireworks we went on Seven Dwarfs one last time (courtesy of my DAS). That makes a 3rd time I've ridden that rollercoaster this week. It's actually faster and wilder after dark. I still love it and I am so eternally grateful God led my dad and I to go on it together in December. When I ride Seven Dwarfs I remember Dad sitting in front of me, crazy absentminded professor hair (his winter cut and not the slick summer purple mohawk you all know) laughing his head off because I was enjoying myself doing something new and daring.

He's probably a little smug because he wouldn't have forgotten the laundry supplies. If he was here, we'd have a tit for tat going. I got us out of the room early, but he didn't forget anything. I can here the playful banter in my head. "Yeah, yeah Dad, like YOU never forgot anything." "Of course, not I'm perfect," he'd say with this playful smirk. "So what about a the bathroom nightlights I had to replace?" "They were yours so if you think about it, YOU left them behind, not me." "But they were in YOUR bathroom."

Oh God, that is the one thing I miss the most. The banter and bickering. My dad and I didn't really fight. We bickered plenty, but fighting means you're really angry and hurt by someone. We may have annoyed each other at times, but we also felt comfortable enough to let the side down around each other. If our bodies hurt, or we were cold and tired, or anxious about something, we didn't have to put on pretense for fear the other person wouldn't want to be around us. Couples know what I mean. I wonder if I'll ever experience that kind of close relationship again. In some ways I feel like I borrowed my mom's husband instead of finding one of my own. I've always had a best friend, even when I was a kid. It's hard to go thru my days without one.

OK, it's after noon. My nephew is waiting for me. Gotta hop a bus to EPCOT.

Oh before I go, I wanted to share this little tip from today's homily. A famous singer once said to succeed in life you need a wishbone, a backbone, and a funnybone. Success is not always measured in fame or money. But if you always have a wish to strive for, the strength and courage to tackle life's challenges and obstacles, and the good humor to turn sad, boring or impossible moments into their proper perspective, then you can succeed at life. Remember the moral of It's A Wonderful Life? "No man is a failure who has friends."

Whatever your life may be, make the most of it. That's the challenge. Walt dreamt big. His brother Roy made his dreams a reality. What is your life calling you to do?

Currently planning
broganmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #52
ajc
Grand Villa

As read the most recent post I think of the saying:
A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet.
Keep on the brighter side of life, Jenn.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #53
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Jen,

As I read your posts, my eyes well with tears. You have a wonderful family
Old 03-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #54
Disneynut4sure
One Bedroom

Jen, Your blogs are always so heartwarming im constantly browsing thread titles to see if brogan has posted anything ..love all the Disney experiences you shared with dad and continuing the legacy of your love of Disney...

Disneynut4sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #55
broganmc
Grand Villa

Hi everyone,

I made it home in one piece. I keep forgetting how exhausting travel day is. I'm sure I'll be sleeping late today. I'll probably stay in my PJs too.

I'll be able to go through and update this blog more thoroughly tonight. I've got tons of photos and video to share.

In short I'm glad I went. It was a different sort of trip for me. My first essentially solo adventure. Yes I had family and friends with me along the way, but what I did and when was really up to only me. It was hard at first. Felt wrong to go without my dad. Like I was betraying him in some way. I'm guessing that stems more from how I'd always feel when I went out for a few hours alone.

You know how it is. You spend every minute with someone and you yearn some alone time. Then you'd go out alone excited to be on your own and not have to constantly wait for your companion, but you also feel a little guilty for abandoning them. Or else you'd discover something interesting and want to share it with them.

With my dad, I'd also worry what he was up to when I wasn't with him. (At Bay Lake that usually involved driving down a few stairs by "accident". Did you know the man drove down a curb the one day I went out without him? He was Evel Knievel with that scooter.)

So I'd share random stories or discoveries with random strangers or friends instead. The thing about my family is that while we're a big, generally happy group, none of them exactly classify as my companion. So we'd meet up for things then part a lot. My dad and I just had one of those close best friend type of relationships that made us seem like a natural couple. Gave us our own inner jokes and language.

Touring solo means you have less stress. You're not constantly compromising so both of you are happy. You flit about on your own whim. Seeing as I also use a powerchair and strike an interesting presentation (fun feathery hats and sparkling lit-up chair), I was "adopted" a few times by various traveling groups. my favorite experience was the first night I tried to see the Happily Ever Fireworks from the wheelchair viewing spot. I got there a bit late so there were many people lining the fence blocking my view. I didn't say a word, just tried craning my neck thru the gaps to see. A Scottish family saw me and made a path for me to see. Then when it started raining mid-fireworks, the Scottish grandma opened up her umbrella and handed it to me. They were all very kind.

I didn't stay with my aunt's family constantly. When they booked the trip my dad and I had envisioned we'd make ourselves available but would not be a 5th wheel. It was my aunt's and cousin's time to shine. My aunt wanted her granddaughter to have a fully immersive princess trip. She did. She met every Disney princess (except Pocahontas), saw every parade and show and dined at the Castles multiple times. My aunt declared they wouldn't return for another 3 years until the baby sister is older, but I kinda doubt that. Miranda loved every ride she went on and walked thru much of the parks. That's a future Theme Park nut like me.

And I learned I can manage most everything solo, if I allot myself enough time. That means an extra hour to get ready for the day. And half a night packing up to move the next day.

I hate flying as much as my dad did. It's not the hassle of TSA so much as the compact packing I need to do. I simply must bring along extra gear for my electronics and accessibility PLUS my clothes. That's two rolling suitcases and a heavy backpack. And even then I must leave stuff behind. Next trip, I'm taking the AutoTrain. I've been doing all the driving for us the past 5 years so it's nothing new. And it is much easier for me to pack/unpack my van than it is a suitcase. (Plus I don't get frisked and strip searched when I travel by train. Seriously TSA is absurd. By all means, test my chair for explosives but do you really have to feel up my shirt, pants and hat to verify I'm not a threat? Warning Political Rant Ahead: in our bid to appear unbiased we've created an absurdly cumbersome security system that aggravates passengers more than screens out bad actors. Profiling is good.)

Currently planning
Old 03-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #56
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganmc View Post
Hi everyone,

I made it home in one piece. I keep forgetting how exhausting travel day is. I'm sure I'll be sleeping late today. I'll probably stay in my PJs too.

I'll be able to go through and update this blog more thoroughly tonight. I've got tons of photos and video to share.

In short I'm glad I went. It was a different sort of trip for me. My first essentially solo adventure. Yes I had family and friends with me along the way, but what I did and when was really up to only me. It was hard at first. Felt wrong to go without my dad. Like I was betraying him in some way. I'm guessing that stems more from how I'd always feel when I went out for a few hours alone.

You know how it is. You spend every minute with someone and you yearn some alone time. Then you'd go out alone excited to be on your own and not have to constantly wait for your companion, but you also feel a little guilty for abandoning them. Or else you'd discover something interesting and want to share it with them.

With my dad, I'd also worry what he was up to when I wasn't with him. (At Bay Lake that usually involved driving down a few stairs by "accident". Did you know the man drove down a curb the one day I went out without him? He was Evel Knievel with that scooter.)

So I'd share random stories or discoveries with random strangers or friends instead. The thing about my family is that while we're a big, generally happy group, none of them exactly classify as my companion. So we'd meet up for things then part a lot. My dad and I just had one of those close best friend type of relationships that made us seem like a natural couple. Gave us our own inner jokes and language.

Touring solo means you have less stress. You're not constantly compromising so both of you are happy. You flit about on your own whim. Seeing as I also use a powerchair and strike an interesting presentation (fun feathery hats and sparkling lit-up chair), I was "adopted" a few times by various traveling groups. my favorite experience was the first night I tried to see the Happily Ever Fireworks from the wheelchair viewing spot. I got there a bit late so there were many people lining the fence blocking my view. I didn't say a word, just tried craning my neck thru the gaps to see. A Scottish family saw me and made a path for me to see. Then when it started raining mid-fireworks, the Scottish grandma opened up her umbrella and handed it to me. They were all very kind.

I didn't stay with my aunt's family constantly. When they booked the trip my dad and I had envisioned we'd make ourselves available but would not be a 5th wheel. It was my aunt's and cousin's time to shine. My aunt wanted her granddaughter to have a fully immersive princess trip. She did. She met every Disney princess (except Pocahontas), saw every parade and show and dined at the Castles multiple times. My aunt declared they wouldn't return for another 3 years until the baby sister is older, but I kinda doubt that. Miranda loved every ride she went on and walked thru much of the parks. That's a future Theme Park nut like me.

And I learned I can manage most everything solo, if I allot myself enough time. That means an extra hour to get ready for the day. And half a night packing up to move the next day.

I hate flying as much as my dad did. It's not the hassle of TSA so much as the compact packing I need to do. I simply must bring along extra gear for my electronics and accessibility PLUS my clothes. That's two rolling suitcases and a heavy backpack. And even then I must leave stuff behind. Next trip, I'm taking the AutoTrain. I've been doing all the driving for us the past 5 years so it's nothing new. And it is much easier for me to pack/unpack my van than it is a suitcase. (Plus I don't get frisked and strip searched when I travel by train. Seriously TSA is absurd. By all means, test my chair for explosives but do you really have to feel up my shirt, pants and hat to verify I'm not a threat? Warning Political Rant Ahead: in our bid to appear unbiased we've created an absurdly cumbersome security system that aggravates passengers more than screens out bad actors. Profiling is good.)
Welcome home! ( the other one)
Get rest and stay in those PJíS... itís cold outside!

That was a good ďfirst solo tripĒ.
Glad you all had fun. Glad itís behind you now.
Keep planning the next one! I do hear the auto train is great way to travel.

Thank you for sharing it all, the good and the harder times of it.
Looking forward to seeing your pics/video!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #57
MMC1
Grand Villa

Good to know you made it home safely.
I look forward to your pics and next trip report. Got the dates already? Haha
Crazy DVCers.... Have to plan another one immediately !!
Have you ever posted the story of how your & father became members?
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #58
wishesfan13
Studio

Hi Jen,
First, I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. I missed your earlier post when he got sick because life was busy & I wasn’t on here much. I’m praying for you and your family while you continue to grieve.

Second, thank you for doing a trip report. Even if I may have teared up more times then I want to admit, I liked reading your new adventures. I’m glad that you are still going and making new memories, even if there are hard times during the trips and lots of missing your travel companion & best friend.

Please know that there are sooo many people on here that travel with you in spirit. Sending you lots of hugs, prayers & pixie dust.

Brittany
wishesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #59
broganmc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Good to know you made it home safely.
I look forward to your pics and next trip report. Got the dates already? Haha
Crazy DVCers.... Have to plan another one immediately !!
Have you ever posted the story of how your & father became members?
Ah now that is a good story. It was all my Machiavellan Plan. See my dad had gotten one of those preview invites for Marriott back in 2001. it was a cold January day and my mom had been battling metastatic breast cancer for the last 6 months. My dad asked us, "Hey, would you guys like to go to Disney for a week?" We both said "Hell yeah!"

We ended up staying at Marriott's Cypress Harbour. The same place my dad and I stayed in every extended 3-4 week trip. It's my favorite of the Marriott's because it's (a) on a quiet street, (b) in the center of everything being 10 minutes to Universal and Disney and 2 minutes to SeaWorld, and (c) every room is a dedicated 2bedroom apartment with a full-size laundry room. It's the closest thing to having an apartment in Orlando.

My parents had heard all the horror stories about timeshare presentations so they were going to say no. My parents were treating me like an equal then (my mom always said I was born opinionated) so we were all debating 15 different ways to say no, but then we met my older brother in passing. He's known for being very frugal and astute. He'd also just gone on the presentation himself and came away saying "It's not a bad deal". So the next day Dad and I spent 3 hours grilling the sales guy Mike about Marriott and every different angle and obstacle we could see. My mom just listened. We ended that meeting telling Mike that we needed time to think about it. To real estate sales people that's code for "Not interested." We just wanted to sleep on it. So we left for Disney and I just polled everyone in the car. Mom didn't need to think about it beyond hearing from dad that we could afford it. My dad debated the merits of owning a vacation club and whether he would use it. I couldn't afford it at the time, but I too loved the idea of it. A guaranteed vacation to DisneyWorld every year.

Same day I was in EPCOT for Illuminations and met this lady pushing her elderly mom around the park. She was a DVCer owning at OKW. She told me all about their program and how nice it was. So when I got home, I called up DVC and asked for info. I was prepared to empty my meager savings to own a piece of the magic. But when I ran the numbers, it turned out DVC was just much more expensive than Marriott. I couldn't drive then and I wasn't nearly as independent as I am now. So I just back doored DVC.

My parents added a couple more Marriott weeks thinking they'd gift one to each of their 4 kids. I organized a couple family gatherings offsite when the kids (nieces and nephews) were babies. Then my mom passed away and told us to "go on all those trips" among other things.

The next year I learned to drive. We had a weekly trip planned in March and another in May. My dad had a conference in Orlando. And we started getting into conflict over the van. He had to be one place and I wanted to be in Disney. So I took him to tea one Sunday at the Grand Floridian and stopped off at Saratoga on the way back. I told him I just wanted to see what it was all about.

Caused DVC quite the confusion because I was already in their system. I had inquired about the program back in 2001, remember? When BWV was the new property. But March of 2006, it was Saratoga being sold. Ricardo was assigned to present to us. Dad learned all about the program and we toured all the models. I ran the numbers. It was more expensive than Marriott and the accommodations were smaller, but you got all of Disney's amenities including the transportation. That was the biggest selling point to me. No more fights.

We picked 200 points to start with. When Ricardo was drawing up the contract I suddenly had this idea. What if each of my siblings was also on the contract? Then they could get all the DVC member benefits and we wouldn't have to one day deal with probate to transfer the ownership. So we ended up with 5 names on the contract. (What I didn't realize was all the paperwork involved when we needed all 5 people to submit their photo IDs and signatures for each and every add-on. Or how uncomfortable it would get when I'd be planning a trip for Dad and I while my in-laws wondered exactly how they'd get to use this new family timeshare. So a year later I went out and bought my first resale contract. That was for BWV. Different Use Year and only had my name and my dad's on all the contracts.

We started going in March/April and October. We'd stay at Marriott for a couple weeks then Disney. We tried like crazy to get people to come with us. As soon as my nieces and nephews hit grade school age, they had limited schedules. Their parents just didn't see the feasability in driving 950 miles for a few days vacation. And I had some in-laws who did NOT like theme parks, one in particular who made my life a living hell for a while.

Dad and I added on over the years. Usually he trusted my judgement. I'd buy some then he'd buy. We're joint owners on pretty much everything except those first couple weeks he bought with my mom. And we used it first to treat ourselves to some adventure. Then as a means to gather with our large family. (The kids have grown up expecting to vacation with each other at least once a year.) Then as a way of treating some old friends and extended family.

My cousin, the landscaper I talk about, was a frequent traveler. He'd usually be shutting down work for the season when we traveled and had no wife or kids to keep him tied down. He was there the first NYE trip we ever made (when the airline "broke" my powerchair). And he flew down for 2 weeks to help me get my dad recovered enough from a broken leg to fly home. He's one of the reasons we shifted from studio stays to 1bedrooms. We loved having him around just enough to get sick of each other.

When he stopped being a regular traveler, we'd invite my brother (who was suddenly single) and eventually my grown nephews and nieces. We still wanted to get those grand gatherings together so I worked extra hard to make it happen. Everyone in our family loves Disney and theme parks. We were just getting to the point of introducing them to our newfound love of Universal and SeaWorld when this happened.

My dad didn't have a large house. And while my family tries to stay in contact with social media and ad hoc gatherings at home, it's these group trips that really allow us to be together. So I'm always trying to work something out at least once or twice a year.

I've got one in the hopper for October right now. And I'm having the same issue as always. Family loves the idea of a vacation but they cannot envision anything beyond next week. I have 3 very independent-minded siblings with robust families of their own. So booking these is more a matter of "pick a plan that works for you, and make space for everyone else who wants to come".

It can get very confusing and aggravating at times. I do not try to make my family want to what I want as much as find ways we can enjoy things together. Like that Keys to the Kingdom Tour I took this last trip. I wanted to do it. I thought my brother might like it too, so I asked him. he was interested so I booked it for us both.

Now money can be an issue. My siblings are all paying mortgages and are putting kids thru school. Expendable income is limited. My dad was far more settled in his life and he made it possible for me to be more settled in mine. I do not have a mortgage or kids and school to pay for. So we'd often cover the difference if a particular family member had a hard time. This past trip I treated my nephew to a plane ticket and covered his girlfriend's expenses. it was her birthday, she was a Disney newbie, and after all he'd been through lately (and all that was to come), I thought it would be a nice thing for him. (Yes I can be the best aunt ever, sometimes.)

Everyone handles the money obstacles their own way. And being given a room at Disney is like winning an expensive house. Sounds great until you total up all the other expenses. So we learned to be judicious with our invites.

But it made us both so happy to share the magic. This past trip when I got to see little Miranda light up and know I was helping her family have a truly memorable time, it soothed all my loneliness and sorrow at not having my dad.

So while traveling may have been my mom's idea, DVC was all mine. I'm just lucky my dad shared my passion. Now I have to continue manage it all for the rest of the family. Nothing would make my parents happier than knowing one of their lasting legacies are family trips of adventure and fun.

Currently planning