home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #21
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I really feel for you. We proactively replaced our one fridge 2 years ago. Bought a dishwasher to replace the old one and wham 10 month old fridge dies days before we leave for Disney. It went downhill from there. My range is under 5 years old as well. Only our microwave is left. Well washer and dryer are 12 years old.... they got us through bad times.

Of course we have the new furnace we just bought too. Yeah I feel for you. At least most should be fine or at least under warranty.

2021 cannot come fast enough though. Hoping for better something. 2019 and 2020 sucked for us.
I was looking for the size on our current Whirlpool fridge. Never found the size, but the manufacturer date was 2/98. So I really canít complain about that. We bought the dryer at least 2 washing machines ago... . The microwave was 28 this year, but we really donít use it enough to worry about replacing it. After we got Goliath (huge gas stove) a few years ago, we found that we use the microwave very infrequently.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:50 PM   #22
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I was looking for the size on our current Whirlpool fridge. Never found the size, but the manufacturer date was 2/98. So I really can’t complain about that. We bought the dryer at least 2 washing machines ago... . The microwave was 28 this year, but we really don’t use it enough to worry about replacing it. After we got Goliath (huge gas stove) a few years ago, we found that we use the microwave very infrequently.
In my experiences somehow things always seem to come in bunches. Sorry to hear you are going through everything you mentioned. Hope everything goes well, and best wishes for your sister's health!

(and yes I just grabbed your most recent post to respond to)
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #23
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loro View Post
In my experiences somehow things always seem to come in bunches. Sorry to hear you are going through everything you mentioned. Hope everything goes well, and best wishes for your sister's health!

(and yes I just grabbed your most recent post to respond to)
Thank you! Sometimes I get whiney. I really just need to remind myself that appliances are just things, and things can be replaced. I really shouldnít even worry about stuff like that. Melissa is doing well, and that is far more important!
Old 09-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #24
Joeli
Grand Villa

Quote:
I am picky in that they have to be white. I have a galley kitchen and the white really makes it look larger (home built in the 40s before large kitchens were a thing). I've been lucky in finding things but last year when our fridge died unexpectedly I nearly settled. Glad I didn't. My floor is beige with coppery tones, my counters are dark brown with copper flecks, the backsplash is white with copper and my cabinets are white. Walls are too. Looks great and a stainless set would really bug me now.

I was smart and replaced the dishwasher that was 19 years old before gutting. The fridge was a pain. Who knew I'd like a side by side so much, but at that point I was not being picky on a lot as long as the reviews were good (no more Samsung appliances for me lol)
We had bought a french door, Fridge by LG that was crazy money, that we had so many problems with...ended up multiple repairs, Within a few months, after the original warranty expired, they could not fix the problem...and even ended up recommending to try a new mother board ($200- that was not refundable if it didn’t fix the problem), that MAY fix the fridge from SUCKING (stopped cooling at various times, which was fun with the built in top of the fridge door ice maker). Ended up pushing it out to the curb for bulk pickup...basically a boat anchor. We were so pissed.... we bought the next fridge Which was a kitchen-aid with the same split look, doors, drawers, and Ice maker on the top in door.

This time we bought it and the extended warranty from Lowe’s...We had learned our lesson! Good thing we did that as it had an issue where ice would start forming inside the top fridge part and it would keep growing till it became large enough that you couldn’t close the deli drawers. After the 5th time, Lowe’s wrote us a check for what we paid for the fridge. Other than the obvious hassles, they did the right thing. We took the money and purchased a side by side Kitchenaid instead. In our mind we felt that if the ice maker was in the “fridge” part it was an issue...so far so good with this new one. To make sure we wouldn’t lose money on ruined food we also bought a plain and simple fridge for the garage..no ice maker, etc..it has been working great as well.

I don’t believe they build these to last a long time...we buy the extended warranty on big dollar items now, a bit more comfort for us...

Upcoming:
2021 (Mar - BWV, May - PVB, Jul - SSR/DCL Fantasy, Oct - PVB)

Done:
2020 (Jan, Mar, Mar/Apr/May/May/Jun, Sept, Aug, Oct, Nov) - Swan, PVB, PVB/PVB/AKV/AKV/PVB, DCL Fantasy - (COVID-19 BOO), BCV, BWV, PVB (bungalow)
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, Dec) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT, BWV, RCCL - Allure of the Seas
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Lion King/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:45 AM   #25
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
We had bought a french door, Fridge by LG that was crazy money, that we had so many problems with...ended up multiple repairs, Within a few months, after the original warranty expired, they could not fix the problem...and even ended up recommending to try a new mother board ($200- that was not refundable if it didnít fix the problem), that MAY fix the fridge from SUCKING (stopped cooling at various times, which was fun with the built in top of the fridge door ice maker). Ended up pushing it out to the curb for bulk pickup...basically a boat anchor. We were so pissed.... we bought the next fridge Which was a kitchen-aid with the same split look, doors, drawers, and Ice maker on the top in door.

This time we bought it and the extended warranty from Loweís...We had learned our lesson! Good thing we did that as it had an issue where ice would start forming inside the top fridge part and it would keep growing till it became large enough that you couldnít close the deli drawers. After the 5th time, Loweís wrote us a check for what we paid for the fridge. Other than the obvious hassles, they did the right thing. We took the money and purchased a side by side Kitchenaid instead. In our mind we felt that if the ice maker was in the ďfridgeĒ part it was an issue...so far so good with this new one. To make sure we wouldnít lose money on ruined food we also bought a plain and simple fridge for the garage..no ice maker, etc..it has been working great as well.

I donít believe they build these to last a long time...we buy the extended warranty on big dollar items now, a bit more comfort for us...
We had a Kenmore French Door that was a rebadged LG. We had issues with ice build up though it was in the freezer portion. We'd have to break it up every few weeks or the water would leak out onto the floor. So after years of dealing with that mess, we bought our Samsung French Door. I'm not sure how long this went on but at one point I realized the freezer wasn't staying close to 0, but closer to 20 and our fridge was close to 50. It was under warranty and Samsung tried to fix it 4 times. First time we were on vacation and my dad came to meet them. Second time a week later and so on. No fixes actually fixed it and we were living out of a dorm fridge (we have a chest freezer at least). Then we had a month of no deliveries when finally we got our money back. Went to Costco and got a well rated side by side.

I like the look of the French doors, but 2 for 2 were faulty. Apparently ice maker or not, ice build up is common. So are some other issues. Side by sides may not be fancy but it works so I'm happy. 4 years extended warranty automatically with Costco too. Now I research the crap out of appliances before I buy.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #26
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
We had a Kenmore French Door that was a rebadged LG. We had issues with ice build up though it was in the freezer portion. We'd have to break it up every few weeks or the water would leak out onto the floor. So after years of dealing with that mess, we bought our Samsung French Door. I'm not sure how long this went on but at one point I realized the freezer wasn't staying close to 0, but closer to 20 and our fridge was close to 50. It was under warranty and Samsung tried to fix it 4 times. First time we were on vacation and my dad came to meet them. Second time a week later and so on. No fixes actually fixed it and we were living out of a dorm fridge (we have a chest freezer at least). Then we had a month of no deliveries when finally we got our money back. Went to Costco and got a well rated side by side.

I like the look of the French doors, but 2 for 2 were faulty. Apparently ice maker or not, ice build up is common. So are some other issues. Side by sides may not be fancy but it works so I'm happy. 4 years extended warranty automatically with Costco too. Now I research the crap out of appliances before I buy.
Ice build up in Fridges are probably common. We had it with an Amana that we bought in 1981 and kept until 2003. My parents had it with a GE they purchased somewhere in the 80s. It had something to do with the defrost cycle. Our Maytag we purchased in 2003 didn't have a problem but we just replaced it with an LG 2-door/bottom freezer ... so we'll see. The appliance package was driven by the 'direct drive' DW and the hubs wanting all the appliances to be the same vendor. The only fridge that would fit in the spot we had was the LG 2D/BF cause all the other LG's were either really small or way too big.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #27
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Ice build up in Fridges are probably common. We had it with an Amana that we bought in 1981 and kept until 2003. My parents had it with a GE they purchased somewhere in the 80s. It had something to do with the defrost cycle. Our Maytag we purchased in 2003 didn't have a problem but we just replaced it with an LG 2-door/bottom freezer ... so we'll see. The appliance package was driven by the 'direct drive' DW and the hubs wanting all the appliances to be the same vendor. The only fridge that would fit in the spot we had was the LG 2D/BF cause all the other LG's were either really small or way too big.
I'm talking a sheet of ice that we had to break with a hammer (no joke), not what you had in older fridges sometimes. With the newer fridges we never had sheets of ice build up ever. It's a French door issue and has to do with a drain being clogged due to the design. We could never get it fixed. If it were the frost like build ups we had in older fridges I could handle it

The type we had was not considered coming in all. Just the french doors. I looked at an LG 2 door bottom and had it fit our spot for a 36 and not 33 that it is we would've bought it. We almost did as it was since it was so highly rated. Though i believe LG is backing off on white which sucks.

I definitely don't care about matching appliances though I have 2 GEs simply because they had what I wanted. Our dishwasher is a Bosch. No clue what our microwave is lol
Old 09-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #28
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I'm talking a sheet of ice that we had to break with a hammer (no joke), not what you had in older fridges sometimes. With the newer fridges we never had sheets of ice build up ever. It's a French door issue and has to do with a drain being clogged due to the design. We could never get it fixed. If it were the frost like build ups we had in older fridges I could handle it

The type we had was not considered coming in all. Just the french doors. I looked at an LG 2 door bottom and had it fit our spot for a 36 and not 33 that it is we would've bought it. We almost did as it was since it was so highly rated. Though i believe LG is backing off on white which sucks.

I definitely don't care about matching appliances though I have 2 GEs simply because they had what I wanted. Our dishwasher is a Bosch. No clue what our microwave is lol
And Iím waiting on a back ordered dishwasher because the new GE handle doesnít match my other GE handles...
Old 09-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #29
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

All this appliance talk makes me smile..... Iím remodeling our kitchen and we just bought all new appliances. We didnít really have a preference for brand, just wanted made in USA. Finish was also up for grabs, stainless steel or white, a case could be made for both. When sweetie found the fridge she wanted, it only came in stainless. Easy decision.

I am a remodeling contractor. I specialize in kitchen and bath remodeling. Before anyone settles for an appliance that fits the hole, but isnít really what you want, check with someone knowledgeable in the field of remodeling. Someone who can think outside the box. The vast majority of the time, the unit you want can be made to fit. Sometimes itís pricey, but not always.
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #30
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzrooster View Post
All this appliance talk makes me smile..... Iím remodeling our kitchen and we just bought all new appliances. We didnít really have a preference for brand, just wanted made in USA. Finish was also up for grabs, stainless steel or white, a case could be made for both. When sweetie found the fridge she wanted, it only came in stainless. Easy decision.

I am a remodeling contractor. I specialize in kitchen and bath remodeling. Before anyone settles for an appliance that fits the hole, but isnít really what you want, check with someone knowledgeable in the field of remodeling. Someone who can think outside the box. The vast majority of the time, the unit you want can be made to fit. Sometimes itís pricey, but not always.
We could easily get a GE fridge to fit. We could dig a hole in the floor or we could shave the bottom of the ďover the fridgeĒ cabinets. Hmm... Actually, we found a stainless whirlpool fridge that we both like, and it will fit into the space perfectly. The handles are very similar, so I think I will be alright. Maybe. Not sure...