home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #111
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I am shocked and dumbfounded......I go away for 5 days to Disney World and this is the very first thread I see.

Dirk this is the right decision for the "now" of your life, for you and Jim. Where this decision leads you both, who knows? Over the years, I have seen this happen many times. After a years, some have never looked back and some have come back.
I actually did feel guilty posting this while you were away!

It may mean Robin and I have more conversations about bookings. Some day. When sailings start again!

And I’m still around and and interested, just in a new way.

Hope you had a great trip!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:26 PM   #112
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbuckeye View Post

Anyway, I still check in here pretty regularly even though we are no longer DVC members.
I have to say, I’m surprised at the number of people who have emerged as having downsized or sold altogether.

Kim and I were talking about adding a section on “Life After DVC” for discussion of downsizing or selling. Why did you do it, what is your relationship with Disney like now. What do you miss. What do you enjoy, that kind of stuff. Doing Disney post-DVC, lessons learned for others to consider, etc. I think it would really round out the discussion and could be illuminating for people considering buying in.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #113
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I suspect you mean Königsberg, a city formerly in East Germany that is now the Russian city Kaliningrad. If not, where is Kongsburg?
If my memory of public school geography serves me correctly, Kongsburg is the Capital of Skull Island - home to King Kong.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:07 PM   #114
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I have to say, I’m surprised at the number of people who have emerged as having downsized or sold altogether.

Kim and I were talking about adding a section on “Life After DVC” for discussion of downsizing or selling. Why did you do it, what is your relationship with Disney like now. What do you miss. What do you enjoy, that kind of stuff. Doing Disney post-DVC, lessons learned for others to consider, etc. I think it would really round out the discussion and could be illuminating for people considering buying in.

Dirk
I have been " right sizing" for years. That would be a great topic for discussion. The DVC product has evolved over the years as well as Disney.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #115
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
We financed our first DVC purchase of 100 DVC points for AKL at $115/month and we spend more than that in dinner out any given night. We paid off the 10 year loan in 3 years so judgement is abated.
Leave Dirk alone; he's a big boy and can make his own decisions (as can I) .
Old 09-03-2020, 12:16 AM   #116
Fmer55
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee;1662777[B
]Mathieson according to the immigration rolls. Matthison in our family names. [/b] The history goes back to the 1700s but the US linkage starts in the 1880s.

Most are in the Midwest and West Coast, so we don’t bump into each other that much.

It’s fun going through our own family tree and seeing very Scandavaian names. Harald Matthison Lindstrom, Christian Ludwig, Ingeborg Friegor, etc. My name is downright pedestrian in comparison. Funny note: My middle name is Christian, which is amusing as a priest, but I’m named after my great grandfather!

Dirk
Funny, we are straight from Ireland. Our name was listed omitting an E in the middle and changes the name so that we are not found in any Irish lore, but with the E we are everywhere.

DH, me(Mike)MOD136, DW DD13DD10
Fmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:47 AM   #117
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:

Dirk

Excellent idea!

By the way, the average length of timeshare ownership is 7 years. DVC seems to follow that rule too. We have been members since 2006 and have seen many people come and go over the years. We have met many great people and have become friends with many of them. The next few years is going to be interesting for Disney and DVC. I expect to see more of this during the next year.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #118
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
If my memory of public school geography serves me correctly, Kongsburg is the Capital of Skull Island - home to King Kong.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:07 AM   #119
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:

Dirk
I wish all of you (you and Jim, Kim and Eric) the best and fully understand your position. With our kids starting college and not as interested in Disney as well as what feels like a loss of magic; DW and I occasionally wonder if we should sell some of our points. We had bought the points at AKV and BLT so we could eventually split them up and pass on to our kids but now we wonder if they will really want them along with the MF costs. Right now, it is more inertia in keeping the status quo.

I also think a new forum would be nice. Allowing discussion of alternatives to Disney would also be nice in terms of where folks are going other than Disney. This is one of the only boards I read and it would be nice to discuss non-Disney vacations with the same folks that I know from this board.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #120
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
I wish all of you (you and Jim, Kim and Eric) the best and fully understand your position. With our kids starting college and not as interested in Disney as well as what feels like a loss of magic; DW and I occasionally wonder if we should sell some of our points. We had bought the points at AKV and BLT so we could eventually split them up and pass on to our kids but now we wonder if they will really want them along with the MF costs. Right now, it is more inertia in keeping the status quo.

I also think a new forum would be nice. Allowing discussion of alternatives to Disney would also be nice in terms of where folks are going other than Disney. This is one of the only boards I read and it would be nice to discuss non-Disney vacations with the same folks that I know from this board.
Same here. I know I'd read Dirk's suggestions on securing glorious AirBnBs. I'm working on DH already for February...it's a hard sell so I have to really start this process. He's a mess just with flying a different airlines tomorrow.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote