home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
administrator
Please don't make me want to smack you upside the head.

Default Follow-up on "A Time to Sell"

Greetings, all --

If you've read Dirk's excellent thread on our choices and chances in life and the role Disney plays in them, then perhaps this post will come as no surprise.

Like Dirk and Jim, Eric and I have sold our remaining DVC contracts (4 of them at AKV, our favorite).

We didn't do so because we hate Disney. Though many of you may not believe it, Disney has always held a very special place in my heart. My grandmother worked for Bob Lauffer first when he was an Industrial Engineer in "Decorating." Later, she followed him, at his request, when he went on to become Superintendent at MK. Here she is (with Jesse, her co-worker) when they were figuring out the logistics of POTC: "Annie, try this on for us!" And she did!

I also have her WDW ID, but that has her SS# on it, and I choose not to provide it here. It is among the many special pins and other Disneyana that I keep in my "treasure box."

It was actually through her and Disney's travel adventures (a program in the 80s that was strictly for employees and their families) that I also was able to visit Morocco at the age of 16. Unfortunately, it was during said trip that she became ill and septic. She died shortly after our return to the States. She was only 60.

Anyway, she would have been thrilled that Eric and I purchased DVC and traveled to WDW so very many times, and that we loved so much of it. (I'm guessing that she would have been less thrilled about my Disney tattoos, but you never know. As you can tell from her glasses, she was daring!)

She would have understood, too, our desire, particularly before we/I grow old and/or become unable to do so, to travel beyond Disney. Most recently, we've had to cancel a two-week trip to London (we were supposed to be leaving Saturday!), and I'm guessing that we will be pushing off other vacations (Germany river cruise, e.g.) due to COVID as well.

I could sit here and tell you all of the reasons why Eric and I have decided to sell right now, but it's not worth it.

All I can tell you is that it's time.

My grandmother would have understood it; I hope you can, too.

Be well.

Peace, love, and Mickey.
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Kim, glad you and Eric made the decision that was best for you. Best wishes with everything, and hopefully you’ll keep us updated on your non-Disney travels (hopefully far more travels than travails) as well.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
MouseOfCards
Two Bedroom

Oh my goodness! Is this the writing on the wall? Do you folks know something that we don't? Should we get out too?
MouseOfCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
brp
Add-on Aficionado

This unprecedented time is making most, if not all, of us reevaluate priorities.

And, as we see in this and the companion thread, some folks I know to be very smart in so many ways are making tough, but well-reasoned decisions regarding DVC.

I join others in wishing you well in your non-DVC adventures going forward. May they be many.

Cheers.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
This unprecedented time is making most, if not all, of us reevaluate priorities.
This!

Best wishes, Kim, on your future travel endeavors.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast, Sept 27- Oct 3 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I can assure you we both came to our decisions based on personal considerations and not a hard-nosed analysis of the DVC market!!!

Or we just saw this:

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfCards View Post
Oh my goodness! Is this the writing on the wall? Do you folks know something that we don't? Should we get out too?
No, we don’t know anything. We’ve both been contemplating this step for a while and simply arrived at the same decision at the same time for many of the same reasons.

I will never leave Disney completely. I can easily see Eric and me staying at AKV for a week for a non-park stay (or maybe a one-day tix with tours), with some golf thrown in for good measure.

But I’m not a renter. I’m not a pre-planner. I want to be able to spend my money where I choose to spend it, not where corporations necessarily want me to spend it; I don’t want to be beholden to them and work my life around them. At this point in my life, I’m willing to spend more to have them work around, and be beholden to, me.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #8
administrator

Yep, Dirk and I are Thelma and Louise-ing it!
Old 09-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Yep, Dirk and I are Thelma and Louise-ing it!
So which of you are Thelma and which is Louise? Maybe a Brad Pitt thrown in there also.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV; Christmas 2019 - RR and BLT
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflatto View Post
So which of you are Thelma and which is Louise? Maybe a Brad Pitt thrown in there also.
It really doesn’t matter. But we’d be fighting over Brad Pitt....