home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #11
brp
Add-on Aficionado

I thought that the streaming of headaches sounded like a bad idea...

Cheers.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:28 PM   #12
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
Ahhh, that makes sense. Not the location restricting part, that makes no sense. Just the why the Roku won't work part.

It allows live tv through a mobile device. Could OP connect a phone or tablet to the tv via a cable or wifi and stream it that way? Or does Hulu block that somehow as well?
The location restriction is because it's for your local channels. If you use it somewhere else that changes your local channels. We switched to the lowest basic cable we could just for news and can stream everything else. If we could get any signal from an antenna we would use that and just streaming.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We have been slowly cutting the cord for a few months now. We have smart TV's and have been playing around with different services and streaming devices, plus just using our smart TVs. Well....first of all, the process has been a PIA.

After research, we zeroed in on using Playstion Vue. It works well for or friends and can get local news. But not so fast......Vue is decided after January, they are no longer offering a streaming service. Back to the drawing board quickly, and I zoned in on Hulu. We tried the free trial on one of our smart TVs and it works great. So I try it on another TV, and it went not so great. My first TV was a Sony and I had no issues with the APP. All the rest of my TVs are Samsung. Apparently, Samsung stopped supporting TVs older then 2016. All my TVs were bought in 2015.....so stupid that Samsung will not update those 2015 tvs, making them useless. So I try to end round the "smart" tvs by buying Ruko sticks. Well, that worked like a charm. Now I can stream Hulu, Disney + and other apps with no issue....Life is great.

But now I have hit another hurdle. Apparently, you can not take the Ruko stick with you when you travel, which I was planning on doing. While would Hulu restrict usage of the app when traveling? So now I am looking for another streaming app that I can use at home and on the road, with no restrictions. Does anyone have suggestions?

PS - The money being saved is making this journey worth the effort.
Wait? What?! The Roku stick is *supposed* to be used for traveling, I thought? Don't they even have a hotel and dorm setting for setup?

Since we're Apple TV people, I've toyed with getting a Roku stick for travel, but have decided instead to just use Jim's current iPhone when he upgrades as an iPod Touch with all of our streaming apps and an HDMI cable for hotel/travel streaming.

I agree that it takes awhile to find the right options. We tried YouTubeTV, which has worked the best for us, but I also tried Hulu Live to save a few bucks since we could fold in Hulu No Ads subscription into it. Alas, I loathed the layout and it seemed hard to find what I was looking for on the live side of things. Apparently it's becoming the industry lead, though, so I may go back.

I went back to YouTube TV for the short-term, but have discovered we're essentially paying $50 for CNN and our local networks. I have to revisit this idea. SlingTV may be next since it's cheaper, and I can get our CBS local through the CBS app which we already subscribe to, anyway.

Even so, we're still saving decent dollars, and we have TV wherever we want it on any device we want, so Win. Good luck!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #14
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
The hulu is the problem. It knows your location and only let's you change a few times if it's the hulu live. I changed back to the basic hulu and can use it anywhere.
Quote:
The location restriction is because it's for your local channels. If you use it somewhere else that changes your local channels. We switched to the lowest basic cable we could just for news and can stream everything else. If we could get any signal from an antenna we would use that and just streaming.
I wonder if YouTube TV and Fubo are the same?

Will Hulu let you stream your typical cable channels when travel, just not local, or is all *live* blocked out?

Dirk

Old 12-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I like Fubo. No ESPN but otherwise sports centric and you can use it anywhere including on a laptop or other device. It gets some local stations depending on where you are. Used Sling for awhile which also worked well. It pulls the local stations dependent on where it detects you are.

I'm surprised that Hulu doesn't work when you travel. Very odd decision indeed.
We're not sports people but Fubo has one of the best rundowns of cable channels, plus local in our area. (Helps to be in the NY Metro market!) I've thought about switching to them because they also have The Weather Channel, which we get through a different app, frndly (which oddly, is Weather Channel and about a dozen Hallmark Channels!). It's still somewhat cheaper to go with YouTube TV or Hulu Live with Frndly than Fubo, but having it all in one place, is nice, too.

Do you have any tips or warnings for Fubo?

Dirk

Old 12-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
Why can't you take the Roku with you? I just bought one for Black Friday and there is a section in the instruction dedicated to showing you how to connect to hotel wifi. That would seem to me that you could therefore use it in a hotel.

https://support.roku.com/article/208...ake-my-roku-st

You can take the Roku with you. The problem is using Hulu Live on the Roku device once you leave your home. You can watch Hulu Live on a mobile device and tablet when traveling, so that is a work around.....just not what I was looking for.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #17
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
We've had playstation vue for years. I had no idea I was losing it! Ugh. Now I need to look too. I've been very happy with it if only because there is an app for my iPad so I can watch TV anywhere.

The Wilson's have the same issue......they did not know until 2 weeks ago when we saw them.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #18
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
The hulu is the problem. It knows your location and only let's you change a few times if it's the hulu live. I changed back to the basic hulu and can use it anywhere.

correct.....and you can use Hulu Live anywhere when using a mobile device or tablet.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Wait? What?! The Roku stick is *supposed* to be used for traveling, I thought? Don't they even have a hotel and dorm setting for setup?

Since we're Apple TV people, I've toyed with getting a Roku stick for travel, but have decided instead to just use Jim's current iPhone when he upgrades as an iPod Touch with all of our streaming apps and an HDMI cable for hotel/travel streaming.

I agree that it takes awhile to find the right options. We tried YouTubeTV, which has worked the best for us, but I also tried Hulu Live to save a few bucks since we could fold in Hulu No Ads subscription into it. Alas, I loathed the layout and it seemed hard to find what I was looking for on the live side of things. Apparently it's becoming the industry lead, though, so I may go back.

I went back to YouTube TV for the short-term, but have discovered we're essentially paying $50 for CNN and our local networks. I have to revisit this idea. SlingTV may be next since it's cheaper, and I can get our CBS local through the CBS app which we already subscribe to, anyway.

Even so, we're still saving decent dollars, and we have TV wherever we want it on any device we want, so Win. Good luck!

Dirk

You can travel with the Roku Stick, its the Hulu Live App for watching local content.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
You can take the Roku with you. The problem is using Hulu Live on the Roku device once you leave your home. You can watch Hulu Live on a mobile device and tablet when traveling, so that is a work around.....just not what I was looking for.
Quote:
correct.....and you can use Hulu Live anywhere when using a mobile device or tablet.
Ah, that makes sense (in a perverse way). It's probably their way of controlling account sharing. Can you get an HDMI and stream from you iPad or Phone to the TV for family watching?

Dirk