home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Default streaming headaches.....

We have been slowly cutting the cord for a few months now. We have smart TV's and have been playing around with different services and streaming devices, plus just using our smart TVs. Well....first of all, the process has been a PIA.

After research, we zeroed in on using Playstion Vue. It works well for or friends and can get local news. But not so fast......Vue is decided after January, they are no longer offering a streaming service. Back to the drawing board quickly, and I zoned in on Hulu. We tried the free trial on one of our smart TVs and it works great. So I try it on another TV, and it went not so great. My first TV was a Sony and I had no issues with the APP. All the rest of my TVs are Samsung. Apparently, Samsung stopped supporting TVs older then 2016. All my TVs were bought in 2015.....so stupid that Samsung will not update those 2015 tvs, making them useless. So I try to end round the "smart" tvs by buying Ruko sticks. Well, that worked like a charm. Now I can stream Hulu, Disney + and other apps with no issue....Life is great.

But now I have hit another hurdle. Apparently, you can not take the Ruko stick with you when you travel, which I was planning on doing. While would Hulu restrict usage of the app when traveling? So now I am looking for another streaming app that I can use at home and on the road, with no restrictions. Does anyone have suggestions?

PS - The money being saved is making this journey worth the effort.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

I like Fubo. No ESPN but otherwise sports centric and you can use it anywhere including on a laptop or other device. It gets some local stations depending on where you are. Used Sling for awhile which also worked well. It pulls the local stations dependent on where it detects you are.

I'm surprised that Hulu doesn't work when you travel. Very odd decision indeed.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
disneyteach
Grand Villa

We've had Playstation Vue for 2 years now. Very sad to see it go. We're going to try YouTube TV, which seems to be very similar. We had Hulu Live for a hot minute when it first came out and we wanted to compare it to Playstation Vue. Unless it's changed, you cannot even get Hulu's non-live content if you have the live version. We found this because my DH travels for business and could not even access the non-live content. That seemed to be inherently flawed to me and I even called Hulu to confirm and they said that is just the way it is. We didn't care about the live content, as even PSVue didn't offer that either.

As far as streaming devices go, we're very happy with our Firesticks. We have one on our bedroom TV and one on the kids TV downstairs and DH travels with one. For our main TV, we've had a FireTV box for I think about 3 years and we just decided to upgrade to the cube thanks to a Black Friday deal. We also just upgraded the cat 7 cable. We have been having delays in live streaming (particularly our Buckeyes games) and DH just wasn't having it anymore. Hoping it solves the problem. I do not care at all to ever go back to cable. We have Playstation Vue, Hulu (free due to Sprint cell service), Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney+. We still don't pay nearly what we would pay a cable company.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Iím following, but canít offer any insight. Havenít had TV service (cable, Direct, etc for 3-4 years). We do have Hulu and Amazon Prime, also a shared Netflix subscription with our daughter. We just arenít home enough to care about network TV. But if you come up with a reasonable solution, we might consider it.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

We just moved back to Illinois so cut the cord when we left Michigan and plan on not getting cable again. So all this streaming stuff is totally new to me. Right now, we just watch local channels with an aentena. VERY frustrating because of no consistency and losing a strong signal depending on time of day. So please tell a newbie... I'm assuming it's best to at least get internet (I always use my hotspot for my computer right now). Will I be able to ever see local channels with any streaming services?
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We have been slowly cutting the cord for a few months now. We have smart TV's and have been playing around with different services and streaming devices, plus just using our smart TVs. Well....first of all, the process has been a PIA.

After research, we zeroed in on using Playstion Vue. It works well for or friends and can get local news. But not so fast......Vue is decided after January, they are no longer offering a streaming service. Back to the drawing board quickly, and I zoned in on Hulu. We tried the free trial on one of our smart TVs and it works great. So I try it on another TV, and it went not so great. My first TV was a Sony and I had no issues with the APP. All the rest of my TVs are Samsung. Apparently, Samsung stopped supporting TVs older then 2016. All my TVs were bought in 2015.....so stupid that Samsung will not update those 2015 tvs, making them useless. So I try to end round the "smart" tvs by buying Ruko sticks. Well, that worked like a charm. Now I can stream Hulu, Disney + and other apps with no issue....Life is great.

But now I have hit another hurdle. Apparently, you can not take the Ruko stick with you when you travel, which I was planning on doing. While would Hulu restrict usage of the app when traveling? So now I am looking for another streaming app that I can use at home and on the road, with no restrictions. Does anyone have suggestions?

PS - The money being saved is making this journey worth the effort.
Why can't you take the Roku with you? I just bought one for Black Friday and there is a section in the instruction dedicated to showing you how to connect to hotel wifi. That would seem to me that you could therefore use it in a hotel.

https://support.roku.com/article/208...ake-my-roku-st

Last edited by PSULion22; 12-03-2019 at 07:02 PM.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
tammymacb
Add-on Aficionado

We've had playstation vue for years. I had no idea I was losing it! Ugh. Now I need to look too. I've been very happy with it if only because there is an app for my iPad so I can watch TV anywhere.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
Why can't you take the Roku with you? I just bought one for Black Friday and there is a section in the instruction dedicated to showing you how to connect to hotel wifi. That would seem to me that you could therefore use it in a hotel.

https://support.roku.com/article/208...ake-my-roku-st
The hulu is the problem. It knows your location and only let's you change a few times if it's the hulu live. I changed back to the basic hulu and can use it anywhere.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #9
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Very good question, indeed. Iím sticking with my DirecTV until they lose Sunday Ticket, then Iíll likely be in your same boat.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #10
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
The hulu is the problem. It knows your location and only let's you change a few times if it's the hulu live. I changed back to the basic hulu and can use it anywhere.
Ahhh, that makes sense. Not the location restricting part, that makes no sense. Just the why the Roku won't work part.

It allows live tv through a mobile device. Could OP connect a phone or tablet to the tv via a cable or wifi and stream it that way? Or does Hulu block that somehow as well?
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote