home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 10-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #41
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado
 
bakerworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 5,213
Default

Does make we wonder how many of us are going to be tapping our phones at 7a sitting in our hotel room. For me, this is a good situation because the odds of getting DH out of bed before 9a on vacation - geez, even the weekend - isn't pretty. Then to walk there and still not get on. At least this way I can be disappointed in my room with DH still snoozing and - big plus - we can go later to the park to try again at 2p.
__________________
Janet & Dan
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:32 AM   #42
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa
 
Eeyorelover22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Does make we wonder how many of us are going to be tapping our phones at 7a sitting in our hotel room. For me, this is a good situation because the odds of getting DH out of bed before 9a on vacation - geez, even the weekend - isn't pretty. Then to walk there and still not get on. At least this way I can be disappointed in my room with DH still snoozing and - big plus - we can go later to the park to try again at 2p.
I would agree that it's better.

As another mentioned too about the Skyliner, even busses, walking and then the insanity at the parking booths too. Just not happy!
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #43
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 19,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Does make we wonder how many of us are going to be tapping our phones at 7a sitting in our hotel room.
Everyone because of the braindead way they've implemented the queue.

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:18 AM   #44
Mox147
Two Bedroom
 
Mox147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Elizabeth, Pennsylvania
Posts: 500
Default

I love this idea, but I think that APH and people staying offsite may be a a disadvantage here.
__________________
" Keep thinking happy thoughts until you can get to Disney"
Mox147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #45
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom
 
Wonderdog4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 315
Default

I find this statement confusing:

Guests with a valid ticket or pass and a Disney Park Pass Reservation for Disney's Hollywood Studios will be able to access the virtual queue system starting 7 a.m. on the day of their park reservation to check for an available boarding group. This can be done before you leave your Resort hotel or wherever else you happen to be nearby at that time.

Does this mean that you have to be on WDW property to be able to access the system? It depends on the definition of "nearby".

As an adjective "nearby" is defined as meaning "close at hand; not far away". As an adverb "nearby" is defined as "close by; very near".

I suppose BWV and SSR are nearby but Ocala is not.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:34 AM   #46
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa
 
Eeyorelover22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog4 View Post
I find this statement confusing:

Guests with a valid ticket or pass and a Disney Park Pass Reservation for Disney's Hollywood Studios will be able to access the virtual queue system starting 7 a.m. on the day of their park reservation to check for an available boarding group. This can be done before you leave your Resort hotel or wherever else you happen to be nearby at that time.

Does this mean that you have to be on WDW property to be able to access the system? It depends on the definition of "nearby".

As an adjective "nearby" is defined as meaning "close at hand; not far away". As an adverb "nearby" is defined as "close by; very near".

I suppose BWV and SSR are nearby but Ocala is not.
I wondered the same. I'm sure we'll have reports.

I know that people were able to join a BG from outside the state at home too which they should not have been able to do that.

No one to complain to in your resort room either.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #47
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado
 
Goofygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog4 View Post
I find this statement confusing:

Guests with a valid ticket or pass and a Disney Park Pass Reservation for Disney's Hollywood Studios will be able to access the virtual queue system starting 7 a.m. on the day of their park reservation to check for an available boarding group. This can be done before you leave your Resort hotel or wherever else you happen to be nearby at that time.

Does this mean that you have to be on WDW property to be able to access the system? It depends on the definition of "nearby".

As an adjective "nearby" is defined as meaning "close at hand; not far away". As an adverb "nearby" is defined as "close by; very near".

I suppose BWV and SSR are nearby but Ocala is not.
You think Disney IT could actually add a GPS tracking component?

I think that's just a phrasing that someone trying for a group would actually want to be nearby because they might get one of the first groups. I do not feel it means they are going to be using GPS tracking. It was often bad enough for the software to recognize the person had scanned into the park. It's only going to base the attempt on the fact you have a DHS park reservation.
__________________
Three Little Circles
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #48
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 19,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
You think Disney IT could actually add a GPS tracking component?
MDE already integrates the iPhone GPS quite well. Always knows where I am for things like wait times and such. Works flawlessly for me.

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #49
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado
 
Goofygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
MDE already integrates the iPhone GPS quite well. Always knows where I am for things like wait times and such. Works flawlessly for me.

Cheers.
A lot of people turn off that tracking. Actually, I've had it fail a few times in recognizing where I was.

Anyway, no, I do not see any indication in this that Disney is attempting to make this an onsite thing. Their criteria is DHS reservation for the day. The rest is just the particular phrasing used but does not mean you must be within a mile or two or anything specific.
__________________
Three Little Circles
Goofygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #50
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 19,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
A lot of people turn off that tracking.
Yeah, if people turn off a feature in the app it's unlikely to work.

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software