home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Default New Scooter regulations for approved venders

Buena Vista mobility says wdw is now requiring all Disney sanctioned venders to put the control on the lowest level on a rental scooters .

Needless to say I canceled my scooter reservation and booked at Golds who do
not have to follow the new guideline . I think this is because wdw is requiring all on park scooters to be put on the lowest speed possible .
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Wonder if Dismey will find someway to force people to use their scooters at slow speed. That seems to be what they’re trying to do to avoid the injuries.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
robinb
Two Bedroom

I'm not so sure that "turtle" speed isn't the best for most guests who are not experts at scooter travel. I totally understand why you are booking through a different company, but I can't fault Disney for trying to get a handle on out of control drivers.

robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #4
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I'm not so sure that "turtle" speed isn't the best for most guests who are not experts at scooter travel. I totally understand why you are booking through a different company, but I can't fault Disney for trying to get a handle on out of control drivers.
In the park I go turtle speed. But I use mine to get to the studios and Epcot from BC. I also use it to get around swan and dolphin . I would not want to go Turtle speed in open areas
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
aznosredna
Two Bedroom

That sucks. I like getting behind the scooters as they plow though crowds to pick up the pace.
aznosredna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I'm not sure I see the problem. No one really needs to go faster than that anyway.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I'm not sure I see the problem. No one really needs to go faster than that anyway.
The changes would be fine for the parks or getting on transportation such as the boats, but not good whatsoever when out and about. Even the walk from say Beach Club to Epcot would be so inconvenient for family members accompanying a scooter rider. The scooter on turtle is slower than the average walking pace. Your casual walk turns into stop and wait for the scooter to catch up.

Once again, instead of everyone being accountable for their own actions, rules have to change affecting the majority who behaves. Education would have been a better route. When Mom got her first scooter, she had no clue about anything scooter. A nice CM took the time to educate her. She's one of the many who is a safe driver.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I absolutely would not recommend renting from a Disney approved source if this is true.

There's no need for an experienced scooter user to be limited, particularly outside the parks. Slowest speed is below a walking pace, that's not right, and it makes life really difficult at the resorts, particularly the larger ones.

At SSR, I could count on one hand the number of people I passed while using an ECV over the course of five days.

Besides, compared to Gold's, the Disney approved vendors have crappier battery maintenance and more expensive rentals.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
The changes would be fine for the parks or getting on transportation such as the boats, but not good whatsoever when out and about. Even the walk from say Beach Club to Epcot would be so inconvenient for family members accompanying a scooter rider. The scooter on turtle is slower than the average walking pace. Your casual walk turns into stop and wait for the scooter to catch up.

Once again, instead of everyone being accountable for their own actions, rules have to change affecting the majority who behaves. Education would have been a better route. When Mom got her first scooter, she had no clue about anything scooter. A nice CM took the time to educate her. She's one of the many who is a safe driver.
You assume I've never been in a party that used one I still am not sure I have a problem with this. We never went above turtle anyway but we had enough issues with ours the last time that it didn't feel safe to try faster.

At home I'm not sure what was used (she no longer can walk so confined to a chair). Education is good I will say but who is willing to do it. I don't blame Disney as so many are not learning before driving.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #10
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

They must be putting a lock of some sort on the control lever. I wonder how long before that gets vandalized? If you rent from Disney aren't you restricted to park use? The 2 times I have rented a scooter for injuries I have rented from outside vendors so this would not effect me if needed again.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote