home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #31
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Minnie View Post
Perfect solution to studios-only issue, as well as lack of deluxe amenities:
demolish underutilized Tangaroa Terrace building and build a 5 story longhouse. On the ground floor have a spa, gym, laundry, child playhouse/arcade, and maybe an ice cream parlor like Beaches & Cream. Floors 2-4 could house 1 & 2 bedroom DVC units. On the top floor put a top-notch signature restaurant with glass walls and veranda to view the MK fireworks like California Grill. Simple solution to so many desired improvements.
If they could do this, that would be amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Design integrity? That's been given up on in so many ways by Disney. Yeah, I could easily see it happening now. Actually for me the Bungalows already did the damage.
I do wish the bungalows were elsewhere on PVB grounds - they should never have blocked Hawaii and Moorea's clear view to the castle, and should have considered the ferry horn, too.
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #32
Jawfish
One Bedroom

We are 2x PVB owners and love it all studios but not opposed to expansion if it opens up possibilities. It will greatly depend on the point charts...

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May - Pandora Preview)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)
2018 PVB (Sep)
2018 Offsite (Dec)
2019 Offsite (May)
2019 SSR (Aug - SW:GE Preview)
2019 PVB (Sep)

2019 DL Cali Offsite (Oct)
2019 PVB (Dec)
2020 PVB (May)
Jawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #33
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

The bungalows don't bother me as they fit the feel to me. The fences bothered me more. Still wouldn't love a 5 story building for sight lines. That said even a 5 story building there would be rather small in terms of numbers.

Last edited by helenabear; 09-11-2019 at 06:49 AM.
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #34
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

For DVC 2 to continue to expand, they are going to have to find land to build new. If there is any available at L14 resorts I think they will go there next.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #35
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Entirely possible that a new facility could be built by the Poly, but it would be new. Wilderness / Copper / Reflections makes that clear with 3 facilities on basically the same property sharing some amenities. It's wishful thinking to hope Disney will expand Poly and "gift" the newest facility to existing owners. And as someone said above, making it new enables it to use the new rules which I'm sure is important too.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #36
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
Entirely possible that a new facility could be built by the Poly, but it would be new. Wilderness / Copper / Reflections makes that clear with 3 facilities on basically the same property sharing some amenities. It's wishful thinking to hope Disney will expand Poly and "gift" the newest facility to existing owners. And as someone said above, making it new enables it to use the new rules which I'm sure is important too.
I cannot guess which way but I have thoughts on both points of view.

POS says they can add to PVB no issues.

WL was so far apart that it would've been bad to offer an end date at an old resort.

If it is separate, it will be super tiny I think which is problematic. I doubt they'd add standard studios.

SSR added points after it started selling and expanded.

Ft. Wilderness did not have DVC prior. WL and Ft Wilderness are separate entities.

In the end if true nobody knows.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 AM   #37
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
The Bungalows are based on those occurring at resorts in Polynesia. I would not pretend to know to what extent if any they reflect native culture, but at least they are representative of Polynesia.

I have a vague memory regarding the height of longhouses being restricted by native custom. Again Tikiman would know...
I believe the lack of balconies in the original longhouses is also a part of that culture, but guests complained so the new longhouses got balconies.

I want to say it was something bout being able to chase spirits out of the room and over the edge, which a balcony would prohibit, but I could be totally imagining that.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #38
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I truly wouldn't mind a high-rise addition if it were done right. To me, that means further towards the parking lot, not too high (like BLT), and strongly continuing the theme (like VGF).

Honestly, adding 1/2 Bedrooms somehow will be necessary to balancing out the resort as well as DVC overall.

helenabear said she didn't think they would add studios. I'm not so sure as studio lock-offs is how you can have either 1BR or 2BR. I think having dedicated numbers of each would continue to make balancing booking difficult for the resort. What would be interesting is whether or not the lock-offs are the same studio design as currently or something different.

What if the studio lock-offs were an entirely different kind of studio? Say, a tower studio concept? That would make for an interesting 2 bedroom configuration, and you don't really need the kitchenette in the 2nd bedroom if you book the unit as a whole.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #39
zafiro
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I truly wouldn't mind a high-rise addition if it were done right. To me, that means further towards the parking lot, not too high (like BLT), and strongly continuing the theme (like VGF).

Honestly, adding 1/2 Bedrooms somehow will be necessary to balancing out the resort as well as DVC overall.

helenabear said she didn't think they would add studios. I'm not so sure as studio lock-offs is how you can have either 1BR or 2BR. I think having dedicated numbers of each would continue to make balancing booking difficult for the resort. What would be interesting is whether or not the lock-offs are the same studio design as currently or something different.

What if the studio lock-offs were an entirely different kind of studio? Say, a tower studio concept? That would make for an interesting 2 bedroom configuration, and you don't really need the kitchenette in the 2nd bedroom if you book the unit as a whole.

Dirk
My thoughts exactly - much like the Aulani design but a bit smaller, great lobby... a taller lodging structure design with two wings, put the new 2 ppl studios in to accommodate that segment, 1 - 2 BR with the lock off option for some, end caps facing MK to have the 1 story 3 BR units like Aulani and a top floor restaurant and bar and a great water park type pool in the middle of the wings. You get several "views", MK, Lake, Pool / Garden, Monorail, and Standard.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #40
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Dirk
Sorry that's if they just add on to general PVB I don't think they would add more. If it's separate it's different but then I default back to small number of rooms total. There isn't that much space there and if some have to be 2 beds it will eat space.

I totally would see new types of studios there (what I meant by standard comment)

I'm still not convinced we'll see it at all though.

I really would be against a high rise though...