home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #11
Boundin'
Grand Villa
 
Boundin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,924
Default

Wait, what perks? Aside from the discount on APs, I'm unaware of any significant perks.
__________________
Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/


BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
pdude81
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
Wait, what perks? Aside from the discount on APs, I'm unaware of any significant perks.
10% off for a lot of table service restaurants and 20% off merch. These are similar to what you get with an active AP but you can get them without having to purchase one.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #13
pdude81
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,607
Default

I like that they are essentially making the floor for a new direct buyer to be 100 points. The reason I say that is because of the pressure to book studio rooms and the large number of 25 and 50 point contracts out there. I wish they'd build a higher percentage of studios down the line to address the demand issue, but this in conjunction with them being allowed to change the details on ROFR'd contracts allows them to clean up some of the mess that was made in the first place (if they want to).

The only reservation I have is that as the cost per point keeping rising, they will be making it harder and harder to sell out these resorts. That's kind of a different issue but it's all connected.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #14
zafiro
Two Bedroom
 
zafiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
Posts: 854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Personally, I’m not annoyed and didn’t mean to come off as such. I just see it as another money grab by them, but they’re a business. Executives wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they didn’t try to make more money. I don’t see it as “good” because I’m not currently fighting for studios where the low points are more of an issue. I see it simply as a money grab which leaves me ambivalent.
When you say, "money grab", that's when it does imply that you are annoyed. EVERY non-profit business is a FOR PROFIT business. What never makes sense to me in these policy change situations is how many current owners view these changes as threats or insults, when in reality, these changes always tend to make our current points (those of us who are grandfathered) to be absolutely more valuable. I'm still trying to understand how this is going to change the desire for more studios since forcing someone to purchase more that 25, 50 or 75 points to 100 now gives them more options with their gain in point currency. Nothing to be ambivalent about - this means demand is strong enough and DVC must be anticipating a continuation of that trend in order to enact this new policy - - and our grandfathered points are becoming more valuable on a faster pace than in previous years.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #15
Boundin'
Grand Villa
 
Boundin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,924
Default

The person who would buy resale then buy 75 points to get "perks" will now have to buy 100 get said perks. Now, he may buy less resale, or not buy resale at all. So it doesn't necessarily make our grandfathered points worth any more.

And when I say "he", I mean, he, she, they, or it.
__________________
Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/


BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #16
bubster
Grand Villa
 
bubster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Washington IL
Posts: 4,327
Default

Not surprised. It was just a matter of time before it was 100 points direct for benefits/perks. Very happy to hear they have raised the minimum buy-in too. Wish it was higher but with direct pricing it makes it prohibitive for the average family.
__________________
Visitor Since '75 owner since '09
bubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #17
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 10,705
Default

Now they just need to do first time buy in at like 150 and we might see some balance for new buyers. I get the want for small add ons (I've done it 3 times) but it really sucks when it comes to over all balance of a resort when minimum buy ins are so low.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #18
zafiro
Two Bedroom
 
zafiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
Posts: 854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
The person who would buy resale then buy 75 points to get "perks" will now have to buy 100 get said perks. Now, he may buy less resale, or not buy resale at all. So it doesn't necessarily make our grandfathered points worth any more.

And when I say "he", I mean, he, she, they, or it.
Again, Supply / Demand...you said it yourself "he/she/they/ it may buy LESS resale, or not buy resale at all." I assume you mean "outside of DVC" resale - - - which allows DVC to control the price of all resale points because eventually the outside resale market slacks or tanks and resale contracts will fall to lows where DVC will scoop them up in ROFR easily and resell those contracts at DVC desired pricing; which keeps the DVC resorts' valuations up. So, you've made my point here.

DVC will set and control the prices - much higher than what is being sold through outside resale, and they'll continue to escalate the point minimum until they do control the entire resale market; or at least have more influence on all valuations. My advice to anyone here who is considering selling to an outside resale market is to do it now because we may be nearing the peak of the outside resell pricing (the discrepancy between direct and indirect pricing) and I believe DVC is on a directive to close this loophole in resort valuations.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #19
zafiro
Two Bedroom
 
zafiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
Posts: 854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
Wish it was higher but with direct pricing it makes it prohibitive for the average family.

Have you seen all hotel pricing lately? The escalation in the past 3-5 years is crazy; and not just at Disney resorts. When the average family is paying over $250 per night for a standard All Star room at typical vacation times, it puts buying DVC into play - just like it did years ago when you could get the All Star rooms for under $100 and DVC direct for under $85 per point. It's fairly close to the same formula.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #20
Boundin'
Grand Villa
 
Boundin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafiro View Post
Again, Supply / Demand...you said it yourself "he/she/they/ it may buy LESS resale, or not buy resale at all." I assume you mean "outside of DVC" resale - - - which allows DVC to control the price of all resale points because eventually the outside resale market slacks or tanks and resale contracts will fall to lows where DVC will scoop them up in ROFR easily and resell those contracts at DVC desired pricing; which keeps the DVC resorts' valuations up. So, you've made my point here.

DVC will set and control the prices - much higher than what is being sold through outside resale, and they'll continue to escalate the point minimum until they do control the entire resale market; or at least have more influence on all valuations. My advice to anyone here who is considering selling to an outside resale market is to do it now because we may be nearing the peak of the outside resell pricing (the discrepancy between direct and indirect pricing) and I believe DVC is on a directive to close this loophole in resort valuations.
No you have made my point in your scenario above with DVC scooping up points at low prices. Every restriction they put in place devalues resale points. The only thing that buoys resale prices now is their incessant direct price increases. If your point is that DVC helps resale prices by raising direct prices, I agree. But they don't need to add restrictions to do that.
__________________
Bippity Boppity Boo Muthafu@$as!

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/


BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:40 PM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software