home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Community Hole
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-07-2019, 08:53 AM   #11
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FessParker1 View Post
125 will get you 6 nights in March in a Tower closet, I mean studio, no thank you.
They book fast, though.

The only way 125 points would work well for Riviera would be if you plan on staying there every other year. That's a lot of MFs, though, for biennial stays - close to $17 per point per stay, renting isn't much more and you don't have the limitations.

Yeah - I hate to admit it but I have a hard time seeing the advantage of owning a Riviera resale contract unless it is a certain size or a certain price or you really, truly, must, without any doubt want to stay there the rest of your life.

Maybe it's resale price will be low enough that it will be the "bargain entry point" for those who can't afford or won't pay direct!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 AM   #12
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
It's being reported that the actual selling price of the other Riviera listing from a short while ago was $100 so someone else agrees with you! I agree with you too.
Ouch, that's a huge, huge, huge hit. I can only hope, perversely, they had to sell for some tragic reason rather than buyer's remorse.

Dirk

Old 08-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #13
FessParker1
Grand Villa

So if word gets around how bad this is for resale do you think it will slow down direct sales?
Old 08-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
So if word gets around how bad this is for resale do you think it will slow down direct sales?
Resale value played no factor in our purchases. We knew we would get our investment back through the number of stays. That's what we bought.

Any resale value was icing on the cake.

Maybe MOs won't buy direct (or buy Riveria at all), but I think the general public will. Sales have been good so far (at least at the pace of other openings) from what I've read.

Dirk

Old 08-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:

Quote:
Maybe MOs won't buy direct (or buy Riveria at all), but I think the general public will. Sales have been good so far (at least at the pace of other openings) from what I've read.
New members will always be buying in to the Club.....they do not know better yet (which really applies to all timeshares). MO members have been buying at RR, just not at the same pace of past resorts.

Personally, Robin & I have passed on the resort, even though we like what is being offered. We have a enough points at other resorts that getting a room at the 7 month window for a 1-bedroom will not be an issue.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #16
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Resale value played no factor in our purchases. We knew we would get our investment back through the number of stays. That's what we bought.

Dirk
I agree about the icing on the cake. I looked at how much I could rent my points for when I purchased in case I had a few left over. I know that isnít guaranteed either, but itís what I factored in. We have a healthy amount of points now where we can go when we want. We travel more to other non-WDW places than we did even a year ago. I bought RR direct just because we wanted a resort with better Epcot and HS access than our MK resorts, and a longer expiration than the current Epcot resorts.

The $170pp for an ASKING price seems reasonable to me. It probably isnít going to be the selling price. They listed high hoping to get as high an offer as possible. Isnít that what we all would do? And BTW, that high asking price didnít deter at least two people from offering $100pp for it. There may have been other offers, but those are the two people have admitted theyíve made. If thatís the price it ends up selling for, then thereís no harm done listing at $170pp.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #17
mdonald@dal.ca
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

As a new DVC member and with rR as our first purchase I feel lied to from Disney ( they didnít mention resale restriction when we purchased in April 2019). We felt ok paying almost 40000 canadian knowing we may need to sell it we had to financially and it wouldnít be a big loss overall. If some of you are thinking itís worth not even half of what we paid for it makes me very worried. We have 200 points. If we sold points at 16/ point every year for 20 I guess we would make up most of the contract cost.

Is this Disneyís ploy to stop resale or make their ROFR profitable (buy back contracts at 80-90 per point and resell at +188?

We obviously bought never intending to sell so we plan to enjoy this all all other resorts for year to come. Just sucks to know how much less valuable our contact is compared to those which are older and have less years left.
mdonald@dal.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #18
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonald@dal.ca View Post
As a new DVC member and with rR as our first purchase I feel lied to from Disney ( they didnít mention resale restriction when we purchased in April 2019). We felt ok paying almost 40000 canadian knowing we may need to sell it we had to financially and it wouldnít be a big loss overall. If some of you are thinking itís worth not even half of what we paid for it makes me very worried. We have 200 points. If we sold points at 16/ point every year for 20 I guess we would make up most of the contract cost.

Is this Disneyís ploy to stop resale or make their ROFR profitable (buy back contracts at 80-90 per point and resell at +188?

We obviously bought never intending to sell so we plan to enjoy this all all other resorts for year to come. Just sucks to know how much less valuable our contact is compared to those which are older and have less years left.
If you use for the 50 years then your good. The problem is if you have to sell. If you can rent it for when you dont want to go that could offset the negative price of selling.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
If you use for the 50 years then your good. The problem is if you have to sell. If you can rent it for when you dont want to go that could offset the negative price of selling.
I plan on renting out rather than selling if we arenít using any of our contracts as much. Itís impossible to know the future, and Iíd hate to sell having bought at todayís prices and later regret it when prices are expected to be higher.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
It will give pause or stop those from buying who do care about resale value. Is that going to show up much in the direct sales? Probably not as I think most of those are the so called ďpixie dustĒ crowd who had a great vacation and want more of them for less. But DVC has held or increased value for so long that the new buyers who have looked have felt fine about buying. I do think if the prices prove to be much less that the word will get out and have new buyers passing on it. Iíve seen a few reporting they have done just that. If Riviera doesnít sell at the fastest pace ever I donít know that DVC can say theyíve done the right thing.