home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #51
Sykes
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
I'm so, so excited, have watched several videos/vlogs. What position did you get in Smuggler's Run? how did your crew do? Have heard/read can be really different experiences depending on how everyone performs. I hope to be a pilot at least once...been waiting 42 years to fly the Falcon....but after that, I think i'd be happy with any seat. Any thoughts/opinions on the ride???

Also excited for the whole experience. can't wait....
I thought that the ride was exceptionally well done. It's incredibly immersive, and the interactive elements are super fun. We didn't do particularly well. I was the right pilot and did ok, but our left pilot was a bit more dicey. We all had a ton of fun even though we didn't do all that well though. We had several guests in my party that are prone to motion sickness and only one of them had any issues (none of them could normally ride Star Tours).

With the way reservations and wait times are working, several people in my party were able to ride 3 times and experience all three of the roles (although the right and left positions in each role are different). I'm told it's a VERY different experience in each one, but I only went once because I was more interested in walking around and exploring the land in a very leisurely fashion.

Several people in my group commented that Galaxy's Edge doesn't feel like it's in Disneyland (in a good way)--it's far more immersive than anything else at Disneyland. In that regard it's more like Pandora at WDW, except quite a bit more expansive. Even the skeptics in my group were incredibly impressed.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #52
Rocket22
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default SW GE in WDW - is Early Morning the only benefit?

SW GE in Disneyland rolls out great, no overcorwding, restricted access., passes to the approx 3,000 rooms on site plus a few others. WDW sounds like it will be chaotic in comparison, Lets give access to approx 36,000 (WDW onsite rooms) families every morning for 3 hours starting at 6:00 am and then open it up to all at 9:00 a.m.

Please tell me there is something better planned.

Disclaimer: Yes we are there in September on site (Poly) and were hoping for some other type of plan.
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 AM   #53
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket22 View Post
SW GE in Disneyland rolls out great, no overcorwding, restricted access., passes to the approx 3,000 rooms on site plus a few others. WDW sounds like it will be chaotic in comparison, Lets give access to approx 36,000 (WDW onsite rooms) families every morning for 3 hours starting at 6:00 am and then open it up to all at 9:00 a.m.

Disclaimer: Yes we are there in September on site (Poly) and were hoping for some other type of plan.
I don't think WDW will consider any alternate plan until they see what it looks like in Anaheim after the reservation system ends.

This is going to be anything from a variation on Pandora's opening to the apocalypse. We'll just have to wait and see.

I do trust Disney - the masters of crowd control - to be watching this very closely and preparing multiple options depending on how things go.

Dirk

I've also moved this to the existing Star Wars discussion thread.

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #54
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Chaos.....
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #55
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:

WDW has way too many rooms to copy DL's strategy. I expect it to be setup just like the opening of Pandora. For me, if I can not make rope drop, have a fastpass or get a special invite.....I am staying clear of the SWGE opening.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #56
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
WDW has way too many rooms to copy DL's strategy. I expect it to be setup just like the opening of Pandora. For me, if I can not make rope drop, have a fastpass or get a special invite.....I am staying clear of the SWGE opening.
I think they are eventually going to have to settle into some sort of paid experience for a couple of hour prior to park opening, just like the paid morning magic things.

The only other alternative I can see is to do DL-style reservations without regard to resort status, unless you give resort guests priority, but save 30-50% for non-resort guests.

It will be so much better once RotR opens, which should be a big giant people eater, too.

However, there's no getting around it - SW:GE is going to be popular and without some sort of filter on who gets in, when, and for how long, it's not likely to be manageable.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #57
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I think they are eventually going to have to settle into some sort of paid experience for a couple of hour prior to park opening, just like the paid morning magic things.

The only other alternative I can see is to do DL-style reservations without regard to resort status, unless you give resort guests priority, but save 30-50% for non-resort guests.

It will be so much better once RotR opens, which should be a big giant people eater, too.

However, there's no getting around it - SW:GE is going to be popular and without some sort of filter on who gets in, when, and for how long, it's not likely to be manageable.

Dirk

Agreed on both. We shall see...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:27 AM   #58
DMKEDM
One Bedroom

We are here now--9/8-9/15...we went to HS around 3 on Sunday (9/8) and are still in shock over how uncrowded it was...walked right into GE; waited about 30 minutes (posted line time was 45 minutes) to do Smuggglers Run (a very good ride, but very similar to Star Tours...for us, not as mind-blowing as Flight of Passage, but still quite good)...My DS and DIL went back both Monday and yesterday...again walked right in...got in (and a seat) at Oga's, walked in to building a light saber (they LOVED it...both the experience and the light saber they built), and got a blue milk (DS not a fan; DIL loved it) w/no wait either. We're just SO surprised at the lack of crowds...

Overall, all 3 of us love GE, although DS is the biggest fan among us...none of us are huge Star Wars fans, though we all like it...

Generally, crowds are light here...love the extra extra magic hours...got to MK yesterday at 7 a.m. and rode Seven Dwarves, ate at BOG, then rode Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion by 8:30--

Went to Epcot after MK and Test Track had only a five-minute single rider line and 30-minute standby line...

This morning we're going to AK (we have FPes there (including FoP) later this afternoon, but if crowds this morning are like they were Sunday, Monday and yesterday, we'll be able to ride FOP, Nav'ii River, Dinosaur and Expedition Everest (our "must" AK rides) well before noon...then we can go focus on Food-and-Wine at Epcot.

Really shocked at how light the crowds are...zillions of potential explanations (Dorian recovery, super hot and humid weather, school opening, price increases, people waiting to go til Rise of the Resistance opens, etc.) ... but I've been coming to WDW 3-4 times/year, at all different times of the year, for 15 years now, and I haven't seen it this uncrowded since right after the 9/11 attacks--and then Disney adjusted by reducing capacity--they haven't done that (yet anyway) so ride after ride is walk-on or minimal wait, and there's no meal reservation we haven't been able to get (including BOG and California Grill)...it's wonderful.
DMKEDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #59
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Don't forget all of the Good Neighbor hotels who also get FPs.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #60
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMKEDM View Post
Really shocked at how light the crowds are...zillions of potential explanations (Dorian recovery, super hot and humid weather, school opening, price increases, people waiting to go til Rise of the Resistance opens, etc.) ... but I've been coming to WDW 3-4 times/year, at all different times of the year, for 15 years now, and I haven't seen it this uncrowded since right after the 9/11 attacks--and then Disney adjusted by reducing capacity--they haven't done that (yet anyway) so ride after ride is walk-on or minimal wait, and there's no meal reservation we haven't been able to get (including BOG and California Grill)...it's wonderful.
Very, very interesting. Good for Guests.... bad for Disney

Watching the stock price. Next quarter results will be very telling.

best,

.............john