home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #6161
mustinjourney
Grand Villa
 
mustinjourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 2,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Lots of things that came together......


Density of population
Failure to act quickly
Moving Covid patients to nursing centers
Id also include:
much more public transportation in North east, and
older population in north east compared to Texas.


The nursing home thing cannot be understated. NY got hit VERY hard in their assisted living centers.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #6162
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 18,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
My curiosity is up, in reading through all these hundreds of pages of posts, lots of good info has blurred all together in my head. Was it ever determined as to why NY/NJ was so hard hit, and other areas such as TX wasn't? I truly don't know if I ever read anything pertaining to that.
New York was fairly late to do a shelter-in-place sort of thing. California, by contrast, started very early and while we have a larger population and several high-density areas, the death count/1M population is something like 30th overall. If you do a good job of limiting spread, you help eliminate fatality.

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #6163
disneyteach
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: OH
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I'm speaking public pools in the central Ohio area. Please allow me to be vague as I don't like stating exactly what city I live in. Some are flat out closed this year. Some are opening with restrictions. Water parks so far (many cities and townships here have little ones) are not being open. All ones I see opening are delayed. I have no idea about private clubs are doing. Nor do I know about actual leagues. Though softball and baseball started yesterday for the older ages I think. Younger were scrapped.

I hear you on masks. While we booked we just did a wait and see thing. I'm hoping DeWine will allow the exterior portion of the zoo to be open soon. Honestly peeved they are allowing weddings but not outdoor options. We need something good this summer to do.
I see... I read your post as "swim season" meaning competitive swimming season. I'm just super bummed that I can't even get my swimmer into a pool to get some laps in.

Totally agree about the weddings but not outdoor options. Hoping the zoo opens soon, but I have a feeling it will be packed when it actually does open.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #6164
Crafty
Grand Villa
 
Crafty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,801
Default

We got the AP email from Disney today.

Since we cancelled all our WDW reservations until Dec, we took Disney up on their offer of an AP refund.

The refund will occur in July or August and go back to the purchasing card.

We also listed some of our points for sale. 630 in all. I never thought I would see the day that we would be selling, but that is where our heads are at now.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #6165
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 12,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyteach View Post
I see... I read your post as "swim season" meaning competitive swimming season. I'm just super bummed that I can't even get my swimmer into a pool to get some laps in.

Totally agree about the weddings but not outdoor options. Hoping the zoo opens soon, but I have a feeling it will be packed when it actually does open.
Sorry about the confusion. Yes I meant swim season. So if my kid wanted we could get real laps in. He was going to but overnight for scouts was canceled that he'd need it for his snorkeling badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
We got the AP email from Disney today.

Since we cancelled all our WDW reservations until Dec, we took Disney up on their offer of an AP refund.

The refund will occur in July or August and go back to the purchasing card.

We also listed some of our points for sale. 630 in all. I never thought I would see the day that we would be selling, but that is where our heads are at now.
I am so sorry. Part of me is curious about points selling.... I might buy more if it is right. What made you go there?
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #6166
Crafty
Grand Villa
 
Crafty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Sorry about the confusion. Yes I meant swim season. So if my kid wanted we could get real laps in. He was going to but overnight for scouts was canceled that he'd need it for his snorkeling badge.



I am so sorry. Part of me is curious about points selling.... I might buy more if it is right. What made you go there?
We are selling, not because of one thing, but because of an accumulation of a lot of things. Our not-so-magical trip last December started us thinking about options and we are strongly considering buying a second home. We will probably always keep our OKW points, though. Nostalgia and all......
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #6167
Jedimom3
Grand Villa
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Tennessee via South Louisiana
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I booked a stay for end of July. Old Key West for big rooms, big patio or balcony. Big resort. Parking by the room. More than 1 or 2 small pools. All that. We'll have about a month to decide.

A near HH freed up for our dates which we prefer (last one too as it's gone now, and wasn't there last night) . So it could work out. No borrowed or banked points to worry about. Left over 2020 June UY too for spring break. All 2021 there too. Worse case we cancel and do a big trip in March and again in June in 2021.
Glad you have a stay booked!! hope it happens, and y'all have lots of fun!
There's the tiniest of chances we'll do something first week of Aug, but doubtful. Just hate missing out this summer.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #6168
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado
 
Lamima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 7,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
We are selling, not because of one thing, but because of an accumulation of a lot of things. Our not-so-magical trip last December started us thinking about options and we are strongly considering buying a second home. We will probably always keep our OKW points, though. Nostalgia and all......
Our process too...pretty much. Sold off our 200 OKW last year and want to sell our 125 HHI and 70 CCV and prob also our 50 BWV all in Aug UY. Keep our 205 BWV in June UY. But just culmination of things seemed to suck all the joy out of our DVCing. Talking about a trip to WDW makes me cringe now. I just want out.
__________________

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): June 7-14 HHI (but not via DVC) & Jan 2-9, 2021 BWV

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 AM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software