home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #11
Two Bedroom

I know I'm in the minority and I know it makes sense, but no to both....staying and having.

I prefer resorts/hotels.
DVCjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #12
Add-on Aficionado

Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
I know I'm in the minority and I know it makes sense, but no to both....staying and having.

I prefer resorts/hotels.

Same here. By far.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #13
Two Bedroom

Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post

I prefer resorts/hotels.
Yup, same here. Fine with a rental home, but not one someone lives in whether or not they are there.
Next Visit
2018 - SSR - March - Spring Break
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
Two Bedroom

Used vrbo this winter twice to ski in Winter Park and we got a beautiful two bedroom with a kitchen across the street from the mountain. We could watch skiers come down the hill from our windows. No personal stuff around but nicely decorated with a cleaning service taking care of before and after we got there. It was great!

Just got back from Vegas for a family reunion and we got a vrbo 8 bedroom house for a week with a huge pool and ping pong/pool tables, volleyball and jungle gym. It was a steal for all that we got minutes from the strip.

Lot's of folks are buying up places just to put out there on the sharing market. I feel bad for all the neighbors who have to deal with their neighborhoods becoming weekly party towns but so long as it's around I recommend it. We're 3 for 3!
Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #15
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

We used to use vrbo quite often. ..until i rented a condo in NH...I did not read the fine print. Bring your own sheets towels toilet paper ect. I rented it last minute to join our friends who were staying in the hotel diwn the street which was sold out. After driving 7 hours with traffic, we got to the condo only to find. ..no sheets towels or anything!! We had to back track to the nearest store to buy supplies. Never again! I prefer hotels and resorts now, not someome elses condo.
pooh bears mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
Two Bedroom

Late to this conversation, but I think DVC has made me inclined to check VRBO and AirBnB as options when we're traveling with other people. I like that we have a kitchen and living room area to hang out in for as long as we please. So much better than a hotel room (which is usually just beds and a chair), hotel lobby or restaurant/bar space.

We've used VRBO twice with great success. For my nephew's wedding I was able to get a 4 bedroom, 3 bath townhouse within walking distance of my sister's house that cost the same for the entire house per night that others paid at the local hotels (Ocean town, high season) per room. So instead of 4 hotels rooms that would have been needed for our family, we only had to pay for one. And it had a big comfy living room, huge dining room, like new kitchen, screened porch on a golf course. Another time was in NYC with a tiny 2 bedroom that ended up having noisy neighbors, but we've had worse at hotels, so can't blame anybody for that.

We just had a fantastic stay at an AirBnB condo in Lisbon, Portugal. I'd been nervous about it because it was my first time using AirBnB and especially because it was a foreign city. The friends we were traveling with picked out the listing and I booked it. It couldn't have been a better experience in every single way. The place was EXACTLY like the photos, spotlessly clean, fabulous location and included a parking spot. Everything was super modern and like brand new in the condo. She even had bottles of water and snacks for us in the kitchen. We were able to do laundry before our cruise (3 days in Lisbon pre-cruise) in the condo. I'd stay there again. It was everything I would have at a DVC Villa (at $150 EUROs a night to boot)

The reviews of other travelers really were helpful and I strongly recommend checking those out.

I don't believe I'd stay in someone's home that they actually live in (all of the places I've stayed were dedicated vacation rentals).
Tryntje57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #17

We did a VRBO in Colorado with a gorgeous view of Mount Sopris in the Elk Range of the Rockies!

We loved the location, the house and grounds were huge, but when the agent took us into the home, she said, "Since the owner took his cat with him there's been a problem with mice." At that point we knew our 7 day stay was going to be a week too long!

The owner bragged about his solid brass espresso maker in the listing, but the agent told us we weren't allowed to use it...

The agent also informed us when we got there that the home had just been put on the market and people might be coming in to see it...

Um, strange clown clothing in the closet of one of the bedrooms...

Fridge temp was 56 degrees when we got there...

One and done for us!

I'm a resort only lady now...and preferably a Disney resort!!!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #18
One Bedroom

I'd rent someone else's 2nd home/vacation home, but I don't think I'd be comfortable renting someone's primary home while they're away for the weekend. I have not used AirBnB or VRBO, yet, so I have no idea if the description provides that sort of information.

I would not be comfortable with renting out my own primary residence. Not even a room.
Jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #19
Two Bedroom

We rented a home for Disney before we bought DVC, and it was good. If we didn't own DVC, we'd probably do this from time to time. Lots of friends use vrbo when going to the Gulf coast beaches, and we will probably do that too when we plan our trip. It's a lot better deal than the hotels.

My 27 yo son just tried airbnb when he was visiting Florida while going on job interviews....I cant' imagine doing this. He had a good enough experience, but it really is like renting someone's extra room. I was looking at the ads for the area he was wanting, and wow. Range of options and level of accommodation were all over the place. Many, esp on the cheaper end, looked like some old house, and you get a room down the hall, use the back door, etc (no thanks.) others were more like a basement apt, or at least somewhat separated, but still, no thanks for me. he's also tried it a couple times in Houston and Chicago, and also just stayed at friends of friends places, I just can't do that. Different generation I think.

We dont' usually do B&Bs either, which I'm sure are lovely, but we just want a little more privacy

Last edited by Jedimom3; 06-07-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #20

We are headed to Michigan tomorrow for a long weekend and renting a beach house. This is a full time rental property but like prior posters mentioned, we have to bring our own towels and sheets. I really don't mind as it's the most affordable way for us to be 3 blocks from the beach and cook our own meals while we are there.
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote