home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 07:13 PM   #2801
D C
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Good for you!

I am continuing my morning workout with a 1.5 to 2 mile run indoors. I was inspired by the man in France who just ran a marathon on his 23 foot long balcony. 7+ hours and a lot of determination.
How any times around the living room is that? Or do you throw the dining room table into the mix. Definitely a time to be thankful for an island in the kitchen instead of a peninsula counter.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #2802
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Good for you!

I am continuing my morning workout with a 1.5 to 2 mile run indoors. I was inspired by the man in France who just ran a marathon on his 23 foot long balcony. 7+ hours and a lot of determination.
Seriously happy to be in a place where the weather is good enough to go out and run. Did about 10K yesterday and today (and tomorrow).

It's what I do at work, just a different route.

Cheers.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #2803
SuzanneSLO
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
How any times around the living room is that? Or do you throw the dining room table into the mix. Definitely a time to be thankful for an island in the kitchen instead of a peninsula counter.
I measure more by time than by distance (although my Apple Watch makes an estimate). Around the living room, through the dining room to the kitchen, then back down the hall to the living room. Sometimes I have to add a jump over the sleeping dog obstacle. Totally ridiculous when I could run outside but for now it works for me. I think I’m one of those people for whom my normal life looks a lot like shelter at home.
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #2804
brp
Add-on Aficionado

We passed 1000 deaths yesterday. 5 days ahead of my earlier model predicted and 1-2 days ahead of the more drastic curve from the past week and a half.

Italy went from under 500 to 1000 deaths in 3 days. So have we.

Cheers.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #2805
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
We passed 1000 deaths yesterday. 5 days ahead of my earlier model predicted and 1-2 days ahead of the more drastic curve from the past week and a half.

Cheers.
Well, by the time the vaccine comes out, we probably won’t need it anyway. They think NYC is going to peak no later than mid-April. The majority of estimates for Houston are peaking by April 7th. I don’t know why they think Houston will peak sooner. Maybe because we have less people here than NYC???

We’ve had 1 death here in Houston to date. The other death they count as ”Houston area” was a 95 year old man who lived over 100 miles away. That’s not the Houston area. Even if it was, we’ve had 2 deaths here. Is this because of weather, social distancing, something we don’t know yet? Who knows! I hope our numbers stay relatively low even though I know they’ll increase.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #2806
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post

Cheers.
We are also a much larger country. By like over 300 million. Size wise Italy is 116,347 mi˛. United states is 3.797 million mi˛. Apples to apples is better than apples to peanut. I also wonder when these 'start dates' are. Washington started Jan 21 with first case.

We will get ourselves into a frenzy if we keep comparing. Really not sure what else we can do at this point. I'm already 2 weeks into only going for essentials and I'm not sure what else people expect of us.

I'm honestly getting to a point that this stuck at home crap is getting to be too much. But I cannot worry about things out of my control. We've had 10 deaths in Ohio since it started. Around 15k only tested though. We still suck at testing.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #2807
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
We are also a much larger country. By like over 300 million. Size wise Italy is 116,347 mi˛. United states is 3.797 million mi˛. Apples to apples is better than apples to peanut. I also wonder when these 'start dates' are. Washington started Jan 21 with first case.

We will get ourselves into a frenzy if we keep comparing. Really not sure what else we can do at this point. I'm already 2 weeks into only going for essentials and I'm not sure what else people expect of us.

I'm honestly getting to a point that this stuck at home crap is getting to be too much. But I cannot worry about things out of my control. We've had 10 deaths in Ohio since it started. Around 15k only tested though. We still suck at testing.
I was thinking the same thing about the size of our country versus Italy.

Being stuck at home is getting to us too. They’re now moving to cut out doc shifts every day across Houston because the volumes are so low. You know those people who are working during this and being exposed? Yeah, now they’re cutting their pay too!
Old 03-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #2808
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
This is about rates versus absolute numbers. Our rate is the same as theirs in this phase. Also, this is adjusted for the difference in start dates, which is also immaterial to the analysis.

Cheers.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #2809
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

DS and I love being at home .This has not been all that different for us, except DS can't be with friends( does a lot of online gaming with them though) , and now I"m not going into work, but even on weekends, we were usually at home, being recluses. DS had started hanging out more at friend's houses, tho Most of his friends love board games, and I sure wish he could do that with them.

DH has worked at home for a few years. But DD is not liking this at all any more. She's 15, and school was mostly social for her, talking and hanging with friends, and weekends spent at the mall with friends. etc.

Still watching the deaths in New Orleans and other parts of Louisiana climb faster than anywhere else... Ochsner's hospital system in NO reported 60 employees w the virus, probably will be more sooner than later
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #2810
Princess Mom
Studio

Quote:

Everyone handles crisis so differently. For some, obsessive reading brings a sense of calm and peace. For others, it brings intense anxiety and stress. Most of us are probably in the middle. I know this is hard for you. I've been reading this whole thread for days. Yet, it's so much easier for us to sit at home than having to go to war in the hospitals. For me personally, keeping an outward focus on the huge sacrifices we are demanding (no choice) from our medical personal keeps me grounded to my neighborhood.

I grew up in Asia as a Caucasian American. With that background I often don't relate to American culture. I told my husband weeks ago that Americans wouldn't respond well to the Asian style lockdown going on in so many countries. My friend in Malaysia has her temperature scanned every time she leaves her building to walk to a grocery store. They are required to stay in their apartment. No walking outside for exercise. Talk about government lockdown. Yet, she says people are cooperative and respectful and kind. I think we Americans can learn a thing or two from our Asian friends.

With that reminder to myself, I believe I can resist doing a quick Costco run so my son has that gift I planned on buying him for his 6th bday tomorrow. He can wait.

Last edited by Princess Mom; 03-26-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Princess Mom is offline   Reply With Quote