home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #31
Happy Pixie
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty57 View Post
I imagine most facilities will be happy to use them if/when their supplies run out. Very kind of you to ask.
Good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
My nursing friend has stated many times that they are a no go for them in hospital use. Studies have shown them useless and she won't even encourage people to make them. A doctor who is more out there in her methods stated she would take them though, but honestly I question some of her methods anyway. So I would call and ask.
This is why I asked. I know before the N95 or "modern" masks were made, cloth was standard and somehow humans survived. However, I also know that after 9/11, people would send care packages to military members and some stuff never got used because it wasn't useful. Also, why wouldn't medical folks stop people from making them if they wouldn't use them? IDK, just thoughts I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
From what I have heard, I think the DIY mask are being used for the patients, not the medical staff. The N95 masks that the medical staff needs are not the DIY ones. However, there is also a shortage of the masks that they ask patients to wear so that the patient does not not inundate the surrounding area with germs when they cough or sneeze. These masks are much simpler to make and they are also critical to helping keep people safe.
I think there is a lot of mixed messaging on this subject and I feel for those making DIY mask in mass to help the "war" effort. I am sure they help with some things, just not as much as the latest and greatest N95.
Happy Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #32
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pixie View Post
Good to hear.

I think there is a lot of mixed messaging on this subject and I feel for those making DIY mask in mass to help the "war" effort. I am sure they help with some things, just not as much as the latest and greatest N95.
I just meant that what I *think* people are making is replacements for the masks that were never the N95 masks. Those masks that are in every Dr office, especially during flu season, with the sign that says "if you have a cough or sneeze, please wear one of these" - those masks were never N95 masks, but they are very useful to have sick people wear them. With CV 19 being so contagious and no vaccine, those little masks are very important now. These are also in short supply. I haven't really seen anything on private individuals making them, but there are many smaller sewing shops who are getting some kind of special material and pitching in to make those.

While these are not directly helping medical staff, as I understand it, they still very much needed and are helping indirectly by reducing the spread of the virus.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #33
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pixie View Post
Good to hear.

This is why I asked. I know before the N95 or "modern" masks were made, cloth was standard and somehow humans survived. However, I also know that after 9/11, people would send care packages to military members and some stuff never got used because it wasn't useful. Also, why wouldn't medical folks stop people from making them if they wouldn't use them? IDK, just thoughts I have.
My friend has tried to discourage people, but those making ignored her even when she showed data on how useless they are. Even you question it, which shows we want to help somehow. We don't always like being told no when we think we are helping. She said to make them for yourself, but not for donation. One friend didn't take kindly to that

I liken it to those who were asking about dropping things off at nursing homes for the residents there. Our nursing home will quarantine any packages dropped off for a minimum of a day or two. They also are not accepting anything that is not dropped off by a family member or the like. They have also warned us that they may discontinue the ability to drop things off at any time. I always suggest to friends to contact nursing homes directly in order to do packages. It seems that some people don't want to listen to that and are already making cards and such that they think we'll be able to get through, when in reality it won't. It's hard when you feel helpless and being told that what you think would be nice to do is not possible.