home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Perks Pages"
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #101
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Still on the fence about renew versus buy new in October. Even if we wait until then, we may still only get 2 trips out of it (this October and December) as we'd likely not be back until the following October. Then again, we might.

If I renew now (backdated to Feb 10), it's definitely only 2, but we have them in hand. Decisions, decisions. And only a couple more weeks until the "30 days past" expires.

Cheers.
Iím really hoping that they will be selling new APís by Fall, but there just arenít any guarantees. Iím not much of a gambler. In your position, I would probably just renew. To be clear, Iím certainly not telling you to renew, just commenting on what I would likely do. Iím sure that you will make the decision that best suits your needs. Iím currently waiting for that call back to re-purchase our APís. But ours will come with a new start date, so not at all the same situation. I suppose that you could always just flip a coin...
Old 02-22-2021, 11:33 AM   #102
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Still on the fence about renew versus buy new in October. Even if we wait until then, we may still only get 2 trips out of it (this October and December) as we'd likely not be back until the following October. Then again, we might.

If I renew now (backdated to Feb 10), it's definitely only 2, but we have them in hand. Decisions, decisions. And only a couple more weeks until the "30 days past" expires.

Cheers.
In your situation I would unquestionably call and pay for vouchers to put on my account. If they start selling regular AP's by October, then you can call again and have that money put towards a new pass voucher rather than the renewal voucher. And if not, then you still have annual passes.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #103
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
In your situation I would unquestionably call and pay for vouchers to put on my account. If they start selling regular AP's by October, then you can call again and have that money put towards a new pass voucher rather than the renewal voucher. And if not, then you still have annual passes.
So, now I'm confused. Are these vouchers that we activate on use, or is this a renewal dated to the expiration of the existing APs (2/10/21)? I thought renewal started now, as opposed to vouchers that start when activates? Maybe I'm just mixing terms.

Thanks!

Cheers.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #104
cpnkirk
Grand Villa

Quote:
So, now I'm confused. Are these vouchers that we activate on use, or is this a renewal dated to the expiration of the existing APs (2/10/21)? I thought renewal started now, as opposed to vouchers that start when activates? Maybe I'm just mixing terms.

Thanks!

Cheers.
I renewed last March, but only a voucher showed up on MDE. We were told at least twice that when we activated it at the park that would be the start date for the new pass. That was wrong...it back dated the start to when the old pass expired.

So, you'll get a voucher that you'll have to activate at guest services, but it will still expire 12 months after the current one expires no matter when you activate it.
cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #105
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Thanks!

Cheers.
I also think that this would be a simple renewal, continuing where your old AP left off. Maybe we are both confused?
Old 02-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #106
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
I renewed last March, but only a voucher showed up on MDE. We were told at least twice that when we activated it at the park that would be the start date for the new pass. That was wrong...it back dated the start to when the old pass expired.

So, you'll get a voucher that you'll have to activate at guest services, but it will still expire 12 months after the current one expires no matter when you activate it.
Well, that mostly makes sense. But why not just reflect the new expiration date in MDE? And if you need a new card, obtain from Guest Relations when on-site? Vouchers are needlessly confusing.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #107
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:

Thanks!

Cheers.
The vouchers are for a renewal and will still be tied to the expiration of existing APs. But they don't get activated until you go to actually use them, even though their start date is farther in the past. They just sit on your account and allow you to make park reservations for the future as if you had tickets. Otherwise you have to purchase park tickets for those trips to be able to select your days.

Then if things change before your trip and they start selling regular AP again, you could "upgrade" to new APs instead of renewal and start them in October.

I wouldn't bother with DVC for this and would directly call ticket services as they can do the DVC passes there. And while you're on the phone, perhaps you could convince them to just sell you a new AP voucher rather than the renewal. Stranger things have happened.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #108
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

FWIW, I did not get a voucher a few weeks ago when I purchased the new passes. I specifically asked, and the CM said they no longer do that in an effort to go contactless. Since the APs get linked to MDE, there is need for a voucher and I can go right to the touchpoint at the park (no more stopping at GR to activate or exchange). If I decide to reassign the APs to someone else within my household, I can, as long as it hasn't been used.

We'll see if all of this holds true when I actually go to use them for the first time
2021 ~ SSR, BCV, PVB, PVB; 2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #109
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post
FWIW, I did not get a voucher a few weeks ago when I purchased the new passes. I specifically asked, and the CM said they no longer do that in an effort to go contactless. Since the APs get linked to MDE, there is need for a voucher and I can go right to the touchpoint at the park (no more stopping at GR to activate or exchange). If I decide to reassign the APs to someone else within my household, I can, as long as it hasn't been used.

We'll see if all of this holds true when I actually go to use them for the first time
Do you just mean the physical voucher/paper or do you mean that they now longer require activation at all? My understanding is that any of the DVC discount passes require you to show your blue card when you start using them to verify who you are. But I haven't been back to confirm since a couple of our passes expired last month.

On MDE they are listed as a "Renewal Certificate", which is the same as things were pre-covid.

In the past they've also made me get a new physical AP card and said the old one wouldn't work. I normally use MB but they want to see the physical card for AP discounts at merch booths. Same annoyance with DVC card as they should be able to know who I am based on my MB.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #110
stellabutterman
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post

That sounds more expedient; I hope it's true.
stellabutterman is offline   Reply With Quote