home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
UD Blue Hen
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default So what happens ???

Taking temps at all Disney entry points makes sense - it's an easy way to have a first filter. And I suspect most of us will check our temps in the hotel room in the morning and some might bring some aspirin ??
So what happens if you arrive at the DCL terminal, luggage checked in and on-board and you have a temp - perhaps over the 100 degree threshold ? I assume they won't let you board - do they give you a voucher for a future cruise ? I can see missing a day in WDW but missing the cruise is a different ballgame. And we haven't even discussed going on a DCL excursion and having a temp on return to the boat - Yikes.
UD Blue Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD Blue Hen View Post
Taking temps at all Disney entry points makes sense - it's an easy way to have a first filter. And I suspect most of us will check our temps in the hotel room in the morning and some might bring some aspirin ??
So what happens if you arrive at the DCL terminal, luggage checked in and on-board and you have a temp - perhaps over the 100 degree threshold ? I assume they won't let you board - do they give you a voucher for a future cruise ? I can see missing a day in WDW but missing the cruise is a different ballgame. And we haven't even discussed going on a DCL excursion and having a temp on return to the boat - Yikes.
About body temperatures....
The "average" temperature of 98.6F is somewhat to very misleading depending on how it is used. It is nowhere near that precise; that temperature is nothing more than the conversion of 37C to Fahrenheit. And the 37C is not precise; anything between 36.5C and 37.8C is can be considered normal. This corresponds to a range of 97.7–100.0 F.
So if Disney is going to flag temperatures, on cruises or at WDW, they need to accept that range.

I realize that doesn't answer your question. It just seemed like a good time to lay out the facts. The 100 threshhold is a reasonable one; they would probably offer a voucher. An actual refund may be unlikely.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 09-23-2020 at 07:03 PM.
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

There are usually places that you can go to sit and cool off if at a place like Disney, I would assume there would be for a terminal as well. Have a drink, get out of the sun and relax. No word on when cruises will start, but I imagine it will be rather strict outside of a cooling station so to speak. Just a guess though.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #4
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
About body temperatures....
The "average" temperature of 98.6F is somewhat to very misleading depending on how it is used. It is nowhere near that precise; that temperature is nothing more than the conversion of 37C to Fahrenheit. And the 37C is not precise; anything between 36.5C and 37.8C is can be considered normal. This corresponds to a range of 97.7100.0 F.
So if Disney is going to flag temperatures, on cruises or at WDW, they need to accept that range.

I realize that doesn't answer your question. It just seemed like a good time to lay out the facts. The 100 threshhold is a reasonable one; they would probably offer a voucher. An actual refund may be unlikely.

Also, as an example... I tend to be around 97.5-98 around normal. I would have to be extremely sick to get to over 100 or get noticed by the checks. I go through a temp check station 2x/week and last time came up at 36.3 degrees C. Many others are like this as well, and many are the opposite and run hotter. Hence the temp checks being relatively useless for many people.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
Joeli
Grand Villa

Honestly, temp checks are almost worthless as any person that may be running a low temp and getting on a ship or going to WDW would probably be taking Tylenol, aspirin, etc... So, temperature would most probably be within range.

By the way, I do not advocate this, I am in the camp of “if you are sick, stay home...if the kids are sick, stay home”.

I imagine they would give you a credit towards a future cruise.

Upcoming:
2021 (Mar - BWV, May - PVB, Jul - SSR/DCL Fantasy, Oct - PVB)

Done:
2020 (Jan, Mar, Mar/Apr/May/May/Jun, Sept, Aug, Oct, Nov) - Swan, PVB, PVB/PVB/AKV/AKV/PVB, DCL Fantasy - (COVID-19 BOO), BCV, BWV, PVB (bungalow)
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sept, Oct, Dec) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV, BLT, BWV, RCCL - Allure of the Seas
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Lion King/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Policy is not set, nor are procedures known. Temperature checks are meh for catching the virus. It does not pick-up asymptomatic carriers and anyone can take medicine to reduce a fever.

The CDC has not approved or issued guidance for the cruise line industry.

I recommend avoid booking future cruises until the future sailing rules are approved and the corona virus situation improves.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
ajc
Grand Villa

I take aleve or tylenol regularly for spinal pain which could mask a fever... not trying to bypass screening..
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
I take aleve or tylenol regularly for spinal pain which could mask a fever... not trying to bypass screening..
I take a generic Ibuprofen daily as it's good to have a little anti-inflammatory in the system, along with my baby aspirin for heart.

Cheers.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
meeskamooska
Two Bedroom

Heading into my office today my temp read at 108. Woops picked up your tea. Lets try again. Can't get a read because it is too cold. Now it is confused by your mask. Finally I was let in with an acceptable temperature. I find the temp checks to be completely flawed and honestly what is the saying-lipstick on a pig.....looks good, serves no purpose.
meeskamooska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #10
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I take a generic Ibuprofen daily as it's good to have a little anti-inflammatory in the system, along with my baby aspirin for heart.

Cheers.
Be careful. My father developed a bleeding ulcer doing just that.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote