home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-20-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Default Concierge???

Ok,

Who has stayed Concierge? Why? Is it really worth triple the price of a Family Verandah Stateroom?

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:44 PM   #2
Sarco11
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycpa91 View Post
Ok,

Who has stayed Concierge? Why? Is it really worth triple the price of a Family Verandah Stateroom?
We have only done Concierge level on our three DCL cruises, so I cannot compare to non-concierge.

However, for us the increased cost of Concierge is worth it because

1. We love the Concierge lounge and enjoy the separate sundeck with hot tub (Dream and Fantasy only). I can struggle with lots of people around, so it is a nice break from the main pool area and Cabanas. Also the bite sized food makes you think that you are not eating as much.

2. We love the concierge hosts and bartenders and have found them all to be an important part of our trips (especially the first trip when I found myself in an obnoxious/awkward hard sell situation after our couples massage and the concierge host agreed to return the spa items for a refund as I suck at saying "no" to people in such situations)

3. We enjoy the early boarding and no/short lines at check in

4. Most importantly, I don't like not getting exactly what I want on a vacation and enjoy the ability to get nearly any booking/request as we love our Cabana 8 and table 65

I find a lot of value in less hassle, less uncertainty and a peaceful environment.
Sarco11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
TiggerinaF
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarco11 View Post
We have only done Concierge level on our three DCL cruises, so I cannot compare to non-concierge.

2. We love the concierge hosts and bartenders and have found them all to be an important part of our trips (especially the first trip when I found myself in an obnoxious/awkward hard sell situation after our couples massage and the concierge host agreed to return the spa items for a refund as I suck at saying "no" to people in such situations)
I hate the SPA Hard Sell. I love the services but always tell them not to do try selling products to us !

Agree there many Benefits to Concierges Level. We have sailed Concierges and Staterooms with Verandahs. On Some Cruises the extra Money is worth it but we save Concierge's for special occasions and Celebrations.
TiggerinaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Ok,

Yes and no......As they say, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Its like asking if staying at GFV is worth it vs staying at Allstar Resort. They both serve the same level and function.....being in WDW and giving you quick access to all the WDW parks.

Or another example, is it worth joining a Country Club to golf, when a public golf course offers golf at a much lower cost.

Half of our DCL sailings have been Concierge Level. Were the experiences better in concierge level....yes. Did we have better access to ship board activities and bookings....yes. Is the lounge area nice with its private offering and convenient, central location to club level......yes. Is first embarkation/disembarkation better.....yes.

Purely from a financial aspect, absolutely not.....but not all life's choices are the most economical choices.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

All Good points guys. I just keep telling myself I could do 3 cruises for the price of one but quality has a cost.

I think what I was trying to understand was about the actual "quality of the cruise". For you guys, it sounds like it is a different experience.

Quote:

1. We love the Concierge lounge and enjoy the separate sundeck with hot tub (Dream and Fantasy only). I can struggle with lots of people around, so it is a nice break from the main pool area and Cabanas. Also the bite sized food makes you think that you are not eating as much.

4. Most importantly, I don't like not getting exactly what I want on a vacation and enjoy the ability to get nearly any booking/request as we love our Cabana 8 and table 65

I find a lot of value in less hassle, less uncertainty and a peaceful environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Yes and no......As they say, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Its like asking if staying at GFV is worth it vs staying at Allstar Resort. They both serve the same level and function.....being in WDW and giving you quick access to all the WDW parks.

Or another example, is it worth joining a Country Club to golf, when a public golf course offers golf at a much lower cost.

Half of our DCL sailings have been Concierge Level. Were the experiences better in concierge level....yes. Did we have better access to ship board activities and bookings....yes. Is the lounge area nice with its private offering and convenient, central location to club level......yes. Is first embarkation/disembarkation better.....yes.

Purely from a financial aspect, absolutely not.....but not all life's choices are the most economical choices.

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
E2ME2
One Bedroom

Quote:
All Good points guys. I just keep telling myself I could do 3 cruises for the price of one but quality has a cost.

I think what I was trying to understand was about the actual "quality of the cruise". For you guys, it sounds like it is a different experience.
Only sailed in DCL-Concierge once, on the Fantasy.
Most of the perks, as described in this thread, were really nice.
However, we do not drink, and there was a lot of alcohol consumed in that concierge club, to the point of some folks trying to recoup their costs via their consumption. Additionally, our cabin was right under the Concierge Sun-Deck, which had us thinking it would be a quiet cabin. But oh no!, every morning at 6am, we were awakened by the sounds of the crew cleaning and rearranging the chairs on that sundeck. We complained every morning, and were reassured that they would reschedule the noisy activity until later in the morning, but for 4 days it persisted. Just a "data point" to share concerning concierge.
Would I pay the extra for concierge again ??
Maybe - depends on the trip and the travelers, but most likely not.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
krisephillips
One Bedroom

Quote:

As Sarco11 says above, it depends on what benefits you would like. We have stayed once and enjoyed it.

If you want: less preplanning, no check in line, early boarding, slightly larger room/higher deck, specific dining location, guaranteed cabana on Castaway, access to private deck/pool/hottub/lounge then Concierge is for you.

I can't really say it benefitted our kids much other than guaranteed access to ticketed character meet and greets (Anna/Else/Olaff when we were on the Dream), and other more private character meet and greets in the lounge area.

Our children are still young so if they were older they may give kids more access to the specialized kids areas (marvel school, sports simulators, etc) but we did no use those much.

Disney Castaway Club Member-Gold Level.
krisephillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #8
bakerworld
Add-on Aficionado

We've been on 5 cruises - all DCL - never concierge. Due to past experience we have found that we don't have much use for concierge.

During the Year of a Million Dreams we were upgraded to concierge 3 times at the Yacht Club and Grand Floridian. It was nice for them to do the airline check-in but other than that we didn't use it much - coffee in the morning and we'd grab a few beers if we timed it right for the room, which we were scolded (apparently with concierge you are not to take stuff back to the room). We kept missing the food options, although concierge at the Yacht club left the food out longer so we managed to snag a cookie occasionally. All I could think was that I was glad we didn't pay for it.