home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
Drewski
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi from RI View Post
Ugh so torn... my DS (25) has a ressie mid September and worried about him going. I told him we need to decide this week and if I tell him no I want to cancel it for him then he will have no choice. Seeing people go then I feel like it is okay but not sure. Issue is he has friends in Orlando too...would need to not go outside WDW bubble?

Having a small party (15-18 people) outside for DH retirement and his birthday labor day weekend and rethinking is that smart? This is so difficult because do you try to live life somewhat normal and be safe (hand washing, mask, distance etc) or stay in for who knows how long???

I am a very decisive person...but these uncertainties are really working on me. Never felt so unsure of things like this before....we have gone out to eat with distance at a few places, wear masks etc. and then I see others not going anywhere for months.....this all feels very unreal much of the time...
Just to offer a different perspective than most, and I am absolutely NOT saying you should go forward with these plans...again, just another perspective:

My father-in-law died suddenly a few weeks ago of a sudden heart attack at 67...he was in amazing shape, active, good diet, but that didn't matter.

He was vigilant about avoiding Covid, and went months without seeing his grandchild, and even hugging my wife (his daughter) and hardly seeing her.

Is Covid very serious...it sure is, no doubt, but so are many other health risks both knowable and unknowable...and many other risks beyond health that can take us at any time.

My point: We seem to have forgotten that death, health risks, disability risks, and all sorts of risks existed prior to Covid, during Covid, and will continue to exist when there is a vaccine for Covid...life will always have an abundance of risks.

Make the best decision for you and your family, and again, I'm not trying to say what you should do.

Rather, we should balance the fact that as we do our best to avoid Covid...let's not forget to still live our lives...we only get one.

And for 99%+ of us it won't be Covid that causes our death...so we shouldn't let it take away everything we value while we are still living.

Last edited by Drewski; 08-01-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Drewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

Thanks for all the input.....!!!

ME Nicole ,DH , DS : , DD , DD
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #13
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Drewski - My condolences. You bring a good perspective, and I'm sad to hear about your FIL passing.

Honestly, my 83 year old mother is at this point. For a long time we really weren't seeing her. We figured in the beginning Covid would pass and we could go back to normal.

At this point we are still being vigilant, but we are now visiting my Mom more regularly. My Mom and I have discussed the risks of her seeing my family (we obviously go out to the store and my kids both work at Home Depot. Everyone in my family understands the serious nature of Covid and is following the "rules"), but at this point, I think my Mom is coming around to feeling like living in isolation isn't living - not to mention painfully-painfully lonely.

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction
cmrdgrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #14
Drewski
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Drewski - My condolences. You bring a good perspective, and I'm sad to hear about your FIL passing.

Honestly, my 83 year old mother is at this point. For a long time we really weren't seeing her. We figured in the beginning Covid would pass and we could go back to normal.

At this point we are still being vigilant, but we are now visiting my Mom more regularly. My Mom and I have discussed the risks of her seeing my family (we obviously go out to the store and my kids both work at Home Depot. Everyone in my family understands the serious nature of Covid and is following the "rules"), but at this point, I think my Mom is coming around to feeling like living in isolation isn't living - not to mention painfully-painfully lonely.
Thanks for the comment and sharing how your family is working through things with your 83 year old mom. I can understand how your mom is feeling, loneliness is so very painful and debilitating.

We are all about 5 months into varying degrees of isolation, and it is truly unprecedented, and goes against the natural impulses that we have as humans...we have been social beings since the beginning of time.

I suspect that people of all ages will start to increasingly make the choice to start living again...albeit in measured and hopefully safe paces.

In the end, if we don't continue living (meaning beyond going to the grocery store and back home)...then in the most meaningful and valuable ways we are already dead.
Drewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:14 PM   #15
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
Just to offer a different perspective than most, and I am absolutely NOT saying you should go forward with these plans...again, just another perspective:

My father-in-law died suddenly a few weeks ago of a sudden heart attack at 67...he was in amazing shape, active, good diet, but that didn't matter.

He was vigilant about avoiding Covid, and went months without seeing his grandchild, and even hugging my wife (his daughter) and hardly seeing her.

Is Covid very serious...it sure is, no doubt, but so are many other health risks both knowable and unknowable...and many other risks beyond health that can take us at any time.

My point: We seem to have forgotten that death, health risks, disability risks, and all sorts of risks existed prior to Covid, during Covid, and will be there when there is a vaccine for Covid...life is full of risks and always will be.

Make the best decision for you and your family, and again, I'm not trying to say what you should do.

Rather, we should balance the fact that as we all do our best to avoid Covid...let's not forget to still live our lives as we only get one.

And for 99%+ of us...it won't be Covid that causes our death...so we also shouldn't let it take away everything that we value while we are living.

So sorry for your loss. Extremely well said.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #16
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Thanks for the comment and sharing how your family is working through things with your 83 year old mom. I can understand how your mom is feeling, loneliness is so very painful and debilitating.

We are all about 5 months into varying degrees of isolation, and it is truly unprecedented, and goes against the natural impulses that we have as humans...we have been social beings since the beginning of time.

I suspect that people of all ages will start to increasingly make the choice to start living again...albeit in measured and hopefully safe paces.

In the end, if we don't continue living (meaning beyond going to the grocery store and back home)...then in the most meaningful and valuable ways we are already dead.
Both of your posts are very well said. Iím very sorry for your loss too.

My mom feels the same. She wants me to visit.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #17
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

Quote:

My point: We seem to have forgotten that death, health risks, disability risks, and all sorts of risks existed prior to Covid, during Covid, and will continue to exist when there is a vaccine for Covid...life will always have an abundance of risks.

Rather, we should balance the fact that as we do our best to avoid Covid...let's not forget to still live our lives...we only get one.

And for 99%+ of us it won't be Covid that causes our death...so we shouldn't let it take away everything we value while we are still living.

Thanks for sharing.....such a difficult time for all of us.....and exactly my point that decisions have many implications these days...

ME Nicole ,DH , DS : , DD , DD
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #18
zafiro
Grand Villa

Quote:

This is so on point and relevant. Very sorry for your family's loss.
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #19
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I moved the schools discussion posts to the general COVID thread.

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=141419

Nothing wrong with the discussion, but I didn't see the point in it being jumbled up with this discussion.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #20
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I'm definitely in the camp that we should do as much as we can possibly do in a safe manner in this time, while recognizing that different people have different comfort levels. So, that's my preamble to this:

I think focusing on the COVID mortality rate as a decision-making mechanism for a party is missing the point. Most people don't die of COVID. But for those who get it, it is a risk, and more likely, for those who get it, there can be weeks or months (maybe years or the remainder of one's life) of unresolved medical issues. People who get COVID, too, almost invariably share it with others who had no say in the matter, and what was a minor risk for the first person could become a major or fatal reality for the second.

IMO, the wisest approach is to follow the local rules, go no further than one is comfortable, mask, distance, disinfect, surrender to the reality that this is a strange time, and make the best of it.

For every house party that makes the "Knucklehead List" here in NJ, there are hundreds of carefully planned and thought-out gatherings that occur legally and safely. The key is carefully planned and though-out!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote