home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #31
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
We will try them someday but depending on parking it could be bad. I don't get why they don't number the parking spots by the room number.
I suggested that, rearview mirror or dash tags to many people. They don't want to enforce parking is the bottom line.

My other issue is with the beds. They say it sleeps 9. The bunk beds are horrible. They are very low and an adult or large child cannot sleep in them. You literally bang your head. They even have signs on the beds warning about head injuries! I don't know why they don't replace them with 2 singles. Also suggested ad nauseum.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #32
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
I suggested that, rearview mirror or dash tags to many people. They don't want to enforce parking is the bottom line.

My other issue is with the beds. They say it sleeps 9. The bunk beds are horrible. They are very low and an adult or large child cannot sleep in them. You literally bang your head. They even have signs on the beds warning about head injuries! I don't know why they don't replace them with 2 singles. Also suggested ad nauseum.
Agree re bunk beds. Our younger son was 7(?) when we stayed in one and got a kick out of sleeping in the bunk bed. Since there were only 4 of us he had it all to himself. I would not want to sleep more than 4-5 in a treehouse, though it could be done. Here's the sad story; I don't promise absolute accuracy but it will give you the right idea.

Master Bedroom: 2 (queen bed)
Bedroom #2: 2 (queen bed)
Bedroom #3: 2 (bunk bed)
Living Room: 2 (fold out sofa)
Living Room: 1 (fold out chair)

Yes you read that last one correctly!

It's not too hard to find a room layout if you're interested.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 08-01-2020 at 04:39 PM.
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #33
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Agree re bunk beds. Our younger son was 7(?) when we stayed in one and got a kick out of sleeping in the bunk bed. Since there were only 4 of us he had it all to himself. I would not want to sleep more than 4-5 in a treehouse, though it could be done. Here's the sad story; I don't promise absolute accuracy but it will give you the right idea.

Yes, thatís accurate bedding.

I like the options. I never max out villa occupancy and prefer no sleeping in the living area. the extra sleeping surfaces and bedrooms at THV allow everyone to have a bedroom and a television, which is important to my DSs.
We normally sleep 5-6 in a THV.
When we have larger groups, we book additional SSR studios and request Grandstand, and use the THV to entertain, grill, large deck, cook etc.
We held Christmas at THV 1 year and we decorated, put up a tree and had an awesome time.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #34
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
And since the THV sleep 9 perhaps it is their way to reduce car space by having a suburban or mini van?

I guess I'm anti squeeze cars into as small of a space as you can.
I drive a Mini, it never not fits. When we travel I rent as small as cheap as I can. Again anti-gas guzzlers is all. If you do have 2 cars, the answer is simple, park somewhere else. That was the point.

Personally I cannot imagine putting 9 in a THV. Many moons ago we stayed at the Disney Institute in villas much like these with 9. It was tight, but a step up from camping in our pop up camper.

Quote:

If we go we'll be a party of 3 or 4 in one. We routinely do not pack into one space though.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #35
Alix1912
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
I like the options. I never max out villa occupancy and prefer no sleeping in the living area. the extra sleeping surfaces and bedrooms at THV allow everyone to have a bedroom and a television, which is important to my DSs.
We normally sleep 5-6 in a THV.
When we have larger groups, we book additional SSR studios and request Grandstand, and use the THV to entertain, grill, large deck, cook etc.
We held Christmas at THV 1 year and we decorated, put up a tree and had an awesome time.
We are the same way, I dislike having people sleeping in the living room if it can be avoided.

Side note: That sounds like a really fun Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Let's be real, they could fix all of that. they choose not to. I'm anti big car anyway and tired of them taking spots. They really could police better too but they don't. I do know the area well and it sounds short sighted in many ways. Big car that doesn't fit your number? Park elsewhere. I'm honestly just tired of people being selfish. Though in the map pic I saw, most were not huge cars anyway. Most slots were open too oddly enough. maybe it's not as bad with parking except in some spots by rude people.

They do have ways to make it 1 car only though. they won't which sucks.
Being anti big car personally, is fine, but when you are trying to move 5-7 people around, you can't do that in a mini. So yeah you have to have a bigger SUV or Mini Van. The THV sleep 9 people, they sleep 6 without the living room, that is more than fit in a compact car. Expecting everyone to show up in one tiny car is unreasonable on Disney's part.

They need to address the parking and transportation in the THV's better. Honestly the roads inside are much to narrow for a bus to pass safely, and they need to just have one bus station at the entrance or such and make it part of the SSR buses. They also need to look at the existing roads and parking space, figure out how to relay it out so there is one designated close spot for each villa, and then area's where extra cars can be parked nearby.

The other problem, is the fact that some areas do have extra parking in the villas and some do not. They also need a designated walking path through the area as well.

It is all simple fixes and can be done.
Alix1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #36
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix1912 View Post
We are the same way, I dislike having people sleeping in the living room if it can be avoided.

Side note: That sounds like a really fun Christmas.

Being anti big car personally, is fine, but when you are trying to move 5-7 people around, you can't do that in a mini. So yeah you have to have a bigger SUV or Mini Van. The THV sleep 9 people, they sleep 6 without the living room, that is more than fit in a compact car. Expecting everyone to show up in one tiny car is unreasonable on Disney's part.

They need to address the parking and transportation in the THV's better. Honestly the roads inside are much to narrow for a bus to pass safely, and they need to just have one bus station at the entrance or such and make it part of the SSR buses. They also need to look at the existing roads and parking space, figure out how to relay it out so there is one designated close spot for each villa, and then area's where extra cars can be parked nearby.

The other problem, is the fact that some areas do have extra parking in the villas and some do not. They also need a designated walking path through the area as well.

It is all simple fixes and can be done.
You're taking some of my comments out of context. I get why people have larger cars at some times. In no way was I saying my car could carry more than 5. Also I was agreeing more than 4 or 5 is hard in a THV. Please don't lump everything like I'm bashing or not understanding.

Yes they can fix. And sorry but if you take up 2 spaces with 1 car you suck. That was my comment about large cars. If they don't fit go elsewhere. They could have one slot per THV and have some to spare for oversized. Extras can park elsewhere too. It's the jerks who park more than 1 that really suck.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #37
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Default By the way... History?

The treehouses actually have a certain amount of history, some of which I've read about but mostly forgotten.

The Treehouse Villas are in their "second incarnation". They were originally constructed some time ago, according to this site in 1975. Further history is available there.

When I started visiting WDW their future was uncertain. It was decided to remodel them and include them as part of SSR. So they are in a sense the oldest part of SSR!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #38
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
The treehouses actually have a certain amount of history, some of which I've read about but mostly forgotten.

The Treehouse Villas are in their "second incarnation". They were originally constructed some time ago, according to this site in 1975. Further history is available there.

When I started visiting WDW their future was uncertain. It was decided to remodel them and include them as part of SSR. So they are in a sense the oldest part of SSR!
Yes, they were a party of the Disney Institute. We stayed in villas in 1983 in the area. There were quite a few different types before it was all torn down to make way for SSR.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #39
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
With all the discussion of parking it's easy to lose track of the fact that they are a wonderful place to stay! Better than anything short of a grand villa, and would give them a run for their money too. Plus the location is ideal -- basically the same as OKW. Easy access to Epcot Drive, which takes you to three of the parks with a minimum of fuss. And I think there's a boat to Disney Springs if you want to use it.
The environment is nice, but I would honestly book a 2BR over a THV.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #40
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindisney View Post
The environment is nice, but I would honestly book a 2BR over a THV.
There are good and bad to both. Separate 3rd bedroom for privacy can be nice. For a week we are going in June the cheapest GV is 80 points more than a THV. With the 4 of us, we get separate sleeping areas and beds in privacy. We have points to burn so are doing the GV, but it's better than a 2 bedroom and costs similar to quite a few (only 10 points more). So if having a mixed party, 3 bedrooms could be better than 2