home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #71
gopherit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I had a Reese’s blast for dinner last night.
I am lovin' the Sonic references, lol! With this whole COVID mess, whenever my son starts to feel too "cagey" and restless, he grabs his scooter and joins me on a long walk and I reward his company (and my efforts) at Sonic. Can't beat their Happy Hour pricing on beverages and slushies, or the evening discounts on milkshakes.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:37 PM   #72
gopherit
Grand Villa

With some of the primary "go to" dining options perhaps not yet open, it's an opportunity to try somewhere you hadn't been before.

On our recent trip, DH and I went to GF Cafe. I had only had lunch there. DH had never been. Food was excellent (though service was still a bit... chilly?)

We also went to Planet Hollywood. Never been to one (at Disney or anywhere else). Great burgers and fries.

We also went to Kona Cafe - EXCELLENT breakfast. I feel like I've reached a new level in WDW dining, as I had never sampled Tonga Toast before, lol.

When we took our big December trip, I would have a TS set up every day (a midday meal or early dinner) and then let our kids and their respective guests determine where and how they wished to subsidize (meals / snacks on their own... just use the band-plan, lol). It was great hearing or seeing about where they all ended up getting their meals when "on their own" - definitely got some input on quick service places we hadn't really tried before. DH and I ended up one night at Columbia House with our son and his girlfriend. None of us had ever tried it. Got a bowl of clam chowder that was just right on a cold night! It was fun hearing / seeing everyone's snack choices too. DH gets teased EVERY trip about the trip in which the kids swear he asked every CM in the AK park "WHERE is the BEASTLY KIOSK?!?" as he searched desperately for his beloved "lobster mac and cheese" mid-day snackeroo (Disney had apparently JUST closed that kiosk down prior to that trip and - of all the nerve - musta FORGOT to call him first ). But amidst the teasing he soon became the envy of all on that December trip when he located instead the kiosk with fries covered in pulled pork, lol. They ALL wanted to know where he had gone and he just kept saying, "The Beastly Kiosk, of course!"
Old 07-31-2020, 04:21 PM   #73
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Sonic offers Oreo milkshakes and Oreo blasts. Just sayin... And now I need ice cream...
Been to Sonic a few times. Haven't been back in years. The drinks are awesome, but I hate the food personally.

Also, this little gem i originally read about in Consumer Reports about the meat quality at Sonic and others: https://nypost.com/2019/10/31/fast-f...-who-got-an-f/

If you have a Consumer Reports subscription I highly recommend the full article, but I believe it is behind the paywall there.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #74
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I like them, too. I haven't had others on property, and these are OK. In the grand scheme of things, they're pretty mediocre margaritas but, after like 2, who cares

Cheers.
To quote brp:
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
ajc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #75
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loro View Post
Been to Sonic a few times. Haven't been back in years. The drinks are awesome, but I hate the food personally.

Also, this little gem i originally read about in Consumer Reports about the meat quality at Sonic and others: https://nypost.com/2019/10/31/fast-f...-who-got-an-f/

If you have a Consumer Reports subscription I highly recommend the full article, but I believe it is behind the paywall there.
Thanks for posting the link to the article. It was enlightening and a little scary.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:05 PM   #76
ajc
Grand Villa

In a nod to Gopherit's DH I understand from DFB the pulled pork fries from Flame Tree BBQ are "retired".
But if 8 spoon cafe is open, the pulled pork or sweet shrimp topped mac & cheese might fit the bill.
ajc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #77
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Haven’t read the article yet, but I just “talked” to one of my mousepals today about Sonic. My advice was pretty much “ice cream or drinks.” I’ll check out the article later, though.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #78
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Haven’t read the article yet, but I just “talked” to one of my mousepals today about Sonic. My advice was pretty much “ice cream or drinks.” I’ll check out the article later, though.
Ice cream and drinks are fine. The article is on meat grades of fast food and casual/family restaurant chains. Sonic got an 'F'.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #79
zafiro
Grand Villa

With so many repeats of "favorites", I'll take the other side of this and list our "never agains / least farvorites":

Never Agains:
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Shula's
The Plaza
Rainforest Cafe
Biergarten

Least Favorites:
Ale & Compass
Les Chefs de France
Be Our Guest
Frontera Cocina
Terralina Crafted Italian
zafiro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #80
gopherit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Ice cream and drinks are fine. The article is on meat grades of fast food and casual/family restaurant chains. Sonic got an 'F'.
Oh I don't doubt it. I have sampled their burger before and the main thing you taste is sodium / seasoning. Our main driver for stopping here is truly the drinks and ice cream... though I will say, at Halloween, when they are running the 50 cent corn dog special, we all kinda say, "what the heck... YOLO" and buy a half dozen to gnaw on. I figure those babies are likely frozen and hopefully the flash fry process will sanitize them. Probably not the greatest quality hot dog... you just gotta be in the mood for that "county fair food" experience, lol, and try not to think about it too much.